MM6 question

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited October 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey I've never used component speakers before and i'm just wondering about the crossover. It says the mm6s will play down to 50hz, but does the crossover cut out frequencies lower than that, or will i need something seperate to do that? thanks.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited September 2004
    the crossover will not cut those low frequencies. your amp or headunit, or if necessary, an external bass blocker, will handle that. how are you powering the speakers? what's your setup?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2004
    an older sony head unit, 2 polk db12 subs running on a gs redline gs4000 amplifier, and the 2 mm6s which are being run by a small 100 watt x 2 amplifier. it doesn't have a high pass filter unfortunately. I could use the deck, but the lowest crossover point is 78hz, and I would have liked the speakers to play down to at least 60hz.. I guess i'll just end up upgrading my amplifier.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2004
    they have bass blockers for like 5 bucks you can put on them...
    but a better amp is always nice too :D
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2004
    since you've got the subs, why do you need to run the components that low? they'll be cleaner and louder if you xover them at 80+ Hz... unless you're having serious imaging problems...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2004
    Agreed. 6.5 speakers usually dont play bass frequencies that well, theyre just not set up for it. I wouldnt run them down below 80 Hz cause anything below that will not only distort but will distort the midrange frequencies as well.

Upgrading your amp is always a good idea so you should do that if you can swing it. Virtually all amps nowadays high pass and low pass filters so youll be set.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D