Mount St. Helens

Options
danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited March 25 in Clubhouse Archives
there is alot of buzz right now in the Northwest about the possibility of some kind of activity at Mount St. Helens.

Do you think it will or could erupt again?

For those of you old enough to remember the May 18th, 1980 huge eruption.. what did you think about it back then? Cool, weird, funny, end of the world? ;)

In 1980 when it erupted. i was 17 yrs old and still living at home. I remember that so clearly. I was living about 200 miles from the mountain. The sky began turning dark.. like it was nighttime.. but it was only 10am. This dark ominous cloud came and covered the city... all the street lights began turning on.. then the whole sky was pitch black. Several hours later, ash the size of beach sand began falling from the sky. The smell of sulfer was so strong i remember.

We got hundreds of tons of ash all over the entire state. It took weeks to clean up. The ash got into everything. You can still drive around the state.. and see remnants of ash ever 24 yrs later. It had a big impact here back then.

Al

mount st helens cam
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Small earthquakes every 4 minutes and the lava bubble is growing. My guess, she's gonna pop.

I was 14 in 1980 and remember those images like they were yesterday.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,001
    edited September 2004
    Options
    I remember that. I've got one word for the folks near there, RUN!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited September 2004
    Options
    I was 12 days old when that ocurred.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Demiurge
    I was 12 days old when that ocurred.
    ... I bet the eruption made you **** yourself... :D

In 1980 I was thirt... ummm.... eighteen.... yeah, I was 18, That's the ticket.

Up until then I did not even know there was an active volcano in CONUS...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited September 2004
    Options
    In 1980, I was a punkified teenager trying to get my first piece of pie.

I remember the TV images of the devastation. Very apocolyptic. I really hope it doesn't happen again.

With all the storms lately, it seems like the nation's karma has attracted the vegenance of the gods.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • danger boy
    edited September 2004
    Options
    guess where i'm going Thursday?

YUP! Mount St. Helens.

my job (TV cameraman) is sending me there for a few days.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Let me know if you all see me on TV !!! :p
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Be sure to get the inside scoop! :p
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Hey DB, if your caught on camera you better hope you have a Polk TShirt on!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited September 2004
    Options
    DB, I hope you can out run hot melting lava. :)

Is your job expecting you to go to the mouth of the volcano and film its gurgling innards? You should demand hazard pay, dude. But I guess for some cameramen, this kind of thing would be a dream assignment. Are you looking forward to it?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • danger boy
    edited September 2004
    Options
    oh yeah. i am looking forward to it.. very much so.. it's what i do best. ha ha ha

No i won't be getting anywhere near any dangerous places.. no molten lava for me. I bet the airspace has probably been closed off now.. since it could erupt at any time.

If it DOES erupt. they're thinking it's going to be a pretty small one.. as opposed to the 1980 one.

I'll snap a pic or two of me from our location. Hope it's a clear day.. and I can see the mountain. :D

they don't call me Danger Boy for nothing. :p
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Look in the middle of the crater. That's the (growing) lave dome.

20040926-mshdome_large.jpg
  • danger boy
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I spent 4 long... very long days at Mount St Helens.. doing my TV thing. I"m exhausted. It was very fun and exciting to be there for that time... at the center of the media circus. :p

While there.. the mountain just let off a small poof of steam last Friday.. not much ash falldown or anything like that.

We were stationed 5 miles from the crater of the mountain. On Saturday they evacuated our location.. because they raised the level of alert to 3, which means an eruption is going to happen.. just not sure when. They moved us 9 miles away from the crater this time.

Here are a few pics I snapped.. I didn't have much time to take still pics.. I was usually taking video with my camera most of my time there.

If any of you ever ventures out to the West coast... a stop my Mount St. Helens .... should be on your short list.
    It's impressive to see it close up. Photographs can't and don't capture the sheer magnificance (sp) of it.

Al
  • danger boy
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I know it's probably not very cool to most folks. but here is a pic of some of the satellite trucks that were there.

I counted about 18 total satellite trucks. These trucks are used to uplink the pictures and sound to the entire world from Mount St Helens. I couldn't fit all the trucks in one picture. ;)

the masts sticking out of some of the trucks were used to keep an "eye" on the mountain should it erupt. There were cameras mounted on the masts and video tape was rolling 24 hours a day.. just in case it erupted.
  • danger boy
    edited October 2004
    Options
    A few TV personalities where there for a while too.

I saw Geraldo Rivera the first day I was there. He travels with a small entourage. I didn't have my still camera handy to snap his pic. :rolleyes:

A few other you might have hear of before..

most are reporters for CBS news.
    James Hatorri, John Blackstone, and Terri Okita.

this pic is of Terri Okita doing a live shot.
  • danger boy
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Here is that pic of Terri Okita
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited October 2004
    Options
  • PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Hey dude ........Thanks for the photos..........those are really cooooooooool!....................................Pat
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the pictures DB, looks like it was a cool time. We have a 100% mobile cell site(Rat Rig)that we dispatch around, much like your vehicles pictured.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • danger boy
    edited October 2004
    Options
    we could have used your Rat Rig.. there was NO cell service in the remote area of the mountain we were in. We used mostly sat phones.. and the delay in those are killer.

and yeah.. we were evacuated from Johnston ridge oberservatory too.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    guess where i'm going Thursday?

YUP! Mount St. Helens.

my job (TV cameraman) is sending me there for a few days.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Let me know if you all see me on TV !!! :p

Your new screen name will be Lava Bubble Boy!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Frank Z
    Your new screen name will be Lava Bubble Boy!
    Today's eruption is tomorrow's heavy duty hand soap...

Glad all is well, db... You get hazard pay?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • danger boy
    edited October 2004
    Options
    nope.. no hazard pay... :mad:

but my company will let me consume all the junk food i want. :D

It's all in a days work.. where else can you have this much fun?

Frank Z
    I like the new name.. i'm ready for a change..

Lava Bubble Boy

what other nicknames could you all come up for me?
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Danger Boy v.s. The Volcano - Rated G
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I remember getting an extra 5 days on the beach out of the deal. We were operating out of Hickam AFB when the mountain blew. They didn't want us to fly through the ash and stuff on the way home, so they extended us 5 days. No rooms on the air base so we had to live downtown at Waikkiki Beach. Tough trip. Worked 3 hours in 9 days.

When we did leave, the flight home was the fastest I've ever logged. Exactly 8.0 hrs from Hickam direct to McGuire. We had well over 100 knots of tail wind, and for awhile our ground speed was well over 600 knots. THAT, is hauling **** in a tanker.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • danger boy
    edited October 2004
    Options
    a friend made this for me. :p
  • NuckingFuts
    NuckingFuts Posts: 77
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I lived in Portland at the time. We had to wear dust masks to go outside. I remember the snowflakes of ash 2" thick on everything. Wild!!
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited October 2004
    Options
    "welcome to my underground lair"

thats friggin hilarious, is their any way you can email that to me at Ohskigod@yahoo.com?
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • danger boy
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by ohskigod
    "welcome to my underground lair"

thats friggin hilarious, is their any way you can email that to me at Ohskigod@yahoo.com?

you've got Dr. Evil mail

Al
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited October 2004
    Options
    thanks brotha, its my new wallpaper!!

priceless!!
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites