geeze...

2»

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2004
    i've heard pretty good stock setups, but for the money they charge you, generally, you can get a better setup that's more customized to what you like... that's my take on it...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2004
    exactly...especially with the bose crap GM has picked up
    i think subaru even had come mcintosh HUs--but i dont think they were available in the states
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2004
    hmm...i might get the 6.3s instead of the 8.3s...ill have to email someone if i can get his email address and see what he thinks...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by PolknPepsi
    Do you car guys think stereos being put in new cars now days are worth a darn?

I had a 98' Lexus 430 with a Nakamichi and it would blow me away. The wife now has a late model Acura-S with a Bose. My mom-in-law has a late model Continental forgot what it has.

There ........I tried to help wake this place up...how's that?

..............................................:D

The Nakamichi systems are fairly nice. The packages you get for a stock car, nice elctronics, speakers are crap. Then again, aftermarket Nakamichi is in the thousands of dollars and really doesn't offer performance to justify teh price tag. They are highly involved to install too often requiring splicing into factory harnesses for things like speed, temperature and lights and such to adjust radio functions as appropriate.

The Continentals don't have a Bose system. Ford has had deals with Harmon International to supply Infinity and JBL stereos and they have also used Monsoon and Mach stereos in the past and present. Whlie they are some of the better premium sound systems, they are still crap compared to what I can get for half trhe price and a saturday's worth of time.

I have yet to hear any stock system that thrills me. Either they are total crap and use crap electronics with "failsafes" to keep you from damaging the stock crap or they are the high end stuff in the premium packages that have poorly set crossover points or a mismatch in driver voicing. No matter what, it never sounds "right". There is always something off. Granted the stereo I installed in my truck is far from perfect but it sounds very nice and if I had the desire to go futzing around with it, it'd have a perfect soundstage. Honestly though, I have to live with it everyday so there has to be a compromise in sound quality for driveability.

Overall, I'd take something assembled from well chosen aftermarket components rather then a "premium" stereo. Hell, my truck HAD a "premium" stereo and I yanked all of it and did a custom install on what I have now. I literally ran all new wires. The whole stereo, except for head unit power and the antenna lead, is wired independantly from the truck. Took alot of effort but it's so much more than a night and day difference from the stock stereo that was in there.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited October 2004
    I'm actually pretty impressed with the stock system in my car. It still isn't up to par with what I want but I can crank it up pretty loud without hardly any noticeable distortion. The highs are relatively crisp and the bass is on par with 5.25" speakers (or 6.5", its not listed anywhere, including the car manual). I'm having too much fun driving my car to worry about how the stereo sounds right now. At least I can crank it up and not have my ears seize up from all the distortion.

I still cant wait till that freakin Brahma shows up so I can put everything else in. :mad:
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited October 2004
    lol... I have a 12V-1A supply from an old printer I use at the moment... it cuts out if it hits too loud on the sub...
    If you have an old computer supply they produce from 2 to over 8 amps of 12v... amazingly the old ones will have huge 12V amperage capability for those old huge hard drives...
    When my car was broken and buried under 3 feet of snow in Maryland, I took my yellow-top inside and had my pc running to my 12's through a 700w kicker... I had a small ~500mA 12v. supply to charge the battery, and it kept it topped off.
    Just keep in mind the 12v DC wall converters actually put out around 15v unloaded if they aren't regulated. PC supplies will have no noise but only regulated 12v, they cannot be used to top off a battery.
    Have fun with it... just make sure you don't use a 12V AC adapter.. you may have bad results......

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.