Myth: Breaking in

mbdyer12
mbdyer12 Posts: 220
edited September 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
First article:
http://bruce.coppola.name/audio/BurnInLegend.pdf

Later, I found out that a particular group had a discussion on this issue. Adire chimed in with their knowledge. Read away.

Heres the second article

This makes me wonder...My first couple sets of subs were never broken in really. Ignorance of not knowing that I "had to break in my sub" let me crank it up all the way. I've never blown a sub yet either. Supposedly, the only reason for the "break-in" period is to find out the limits of the speaker over a period of time, to ensure the reliability of the speaker, not to loosen up the spider, or what not.l

Since Adire says I dont have to break in my Adire Brahma, it looks like I wont have a couple weeks of waiting to see what the beast can do. (That is, if it ever gets here). :rolleyes:
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
Post edited by mbdyer12 on

Comments

• bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited September 2004
    Adire might break in the drivers before they send them out. You can't take a sub right off the line and expect it to have the same characteristics during the first 10 minutes and 48 hours later... there's a crap load of mechanical stuff that changes after you start loosening everything up.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by bknauss
    Adire might break in the drivers before they send them out. You can't take a sub right off the line and expect it to have the same characteristics during the first 10 minutes and 48 hours later... there's a crap load of mechanical stuff that changes after you start loosening everything up.
    agreed
    the stuff is going to get hot and might move around a little bit
    polk recommends 40 hours to make sure the sub is used to get a little hot and shifts around until the sub finds its 'norm'
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2004
    I dont think Ill ever buy into the break in theory. I will agree that it will loosen things up and it will eventually work better once broken in but I dont think it is a requirement and that bad things will happen if you dont.

Ive never broken a sub in in the 15 years Ive been messing with CA and I have NEVER blown a sub!

Take my little MTX T6000 8". I bought it and put it in the box. The only amp I had at the time was an old Jensen 300x1 amp a freind gave me a while back so I hooked it up. A 150 watt sub getting 300 crappy Jensen watts and it played fine. No problems. However I dont think you could blow this little 8. I had over 350 running to it for over a week trying to fry it and it never quit! Toughest little sub Ive ever seen!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D