Sub Sizing

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited September 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
would a 12" inch sub have any advantage over a 10" sub, even when both of them were from the same manufacturer, same model, and have identical resistance/coil design, and identical factory rated RMS and peak power?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2004
    itll be louder due to more displacement
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited September 2004
    yep, the 12 will be a bit louder and a bit deeper, but sometimes the bigger sub (with the same specs) will sound a bit looser than the 10. and it takes up more room.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2004
    My general rule is to go with the biggest sub that is practical. The biggest considerations are size. A 12 will usually need a box in the neighborhood of 1 cubic foot where a 10 can be perfectly happy in a .5
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited September 2004
    the 12" has 113.4"sq. and the 10" has 78.5"sq. of surface area. this translates into a HUGE displacement difference, also the design of a 12" cone inevitably makes it weaker, so it needs a bit less pressure behind it to be safe, which is why the box must be larger. However you get a good increase in ability to reproduce lower freq's and get a better sensitivity output.

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.