polk amp and sub????

JoWolfsburg
JoWolfsburg Posts: 6
edited September 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a Polk Momo mono amp C500.1, 2 ohms. I was wondering what type of 12 " sub I should go with 2 ohm or 4 ohm. And for some strange reason I keep blowing my polk momo sub. The first one I blew I had the settings all the way up. The second time everything was down except for the gain which was 90% up. Can someone please help out. Thanks in advance.
Post edited by JoWolfsburg on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2004
    I sure dont know everything but I cant think of a time when the gain should EVER be 90% up.

The gain is not a volume control, it matches the output of your h/u to the input of the amp. In other words it determines how soon the amp goes at full volume. If you have the gain set all the way up then it will be at full power around 25% volume on the h/u. So if you turn the volume up to 60% well youve just pushed your amp way into clipping which will blow ANY speaker really quick.

The way to set your gains is to turn the gain and volume all the way down. Turn the volume up to 75% and then start turning up the gain. Once you get audible distortion you back it down a bit and there you go. From there you can fine tune it a bit as you feel it out. After you have the mids/highs set then youll adjust the sub gain accordingly. Youll set it to the point where it blends in with the music well. Regardless, it should never be any higher than 60%. If it is you will fry sub after sub. The "noon" position is a good place to start. This will have the amp getting loud quick but likely will not push into clipping and so you can fine tune it from there.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited September 2004
    unless you've got really low voltage and/or crazy splitting goin on, you don't need 90% gain... read this, it'll explain it.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs