RTA 11 - (Real Time Array) - sellable?

Options
Terpsfan
Terpsfan Posts: 8
edited October 2004 in Vintage Speakers
I have a pair of Polk Audio RTA 11 floor-standing speakers, original owner, in good shape (considering they were bought in the early/mid 80's!). Is there a market for these big bad boys? Shipping weight is close to 60 lbs each, so I'd rather sell them locally (Maryland), but don't even know if it's worth putting them up on Ebay. They put out a great, huge sound, but are too large for my place right now. Heck, they were too large in my college dorm back in the day, but that didn't seem to matter then!

Thanks.
Post edited by Terpsfan on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Those are Monitor 11's, no?

There are some good Polkies in MD, Dorokusai and F1Nut for sure. I'm fairly positive, if the asking price is in line, one of them will take them off your hands.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Those be Peerless tweets???
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2004
    Options
    You got it.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Terpsfan
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Those are Monitor 11's, no?

I think they are Monitor 11's. I had the 5's, then 7's, then 10's each year in college, then went to these, and the manual calls them "Reference Monitor System (R.T.A. 11)." Gordon Miller Music in Towson, MD had this trade-up policy where they'd give you full credit for your previous speakers if you bought the next higher ones within a year. So after each summer job, I went to the next bigger speakers!
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    You got it.
    Damn I love those... Worth 10 trips to TxPFII. I've now got three Monitor series models with 'em and a spare pair on the shelf...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Terpsfan
    so I'd rather sell them locally (Maryland), but don't even know if it's worth putting them up on Ebay.

Terpsfan,

PM sent.

- Mike
  • Terpsfan
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Well, I've been on these boards and Ebay all morning... great resource here!! Could I get some feedback on a fair price range for these speakers (Monitor 11's)? They are in good shape and I'm not interested in top dollar, just a fair price for someone that would really enjoy these speakers and give them a good home! I see quite a few sales and pricing info for Monitor 10's and some for 12's, but no posts on ClubPolk or Ebay for 11's.

Thanks!
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2004
    Options
    FWIW... here's the Orion data... which can be either high or low compared to ebay.

POLK SPK, MONITOR 11
    Description:
    Manufacture Years: 1982 - 1985
    Additional Information:
    Retail
    MSRP: $800.00
    USED: $200.00
    Wholesale
    Mint: $120.00
    Average: $70.00

To give the above some framework, nice Monitor 10b's, which are seen on the bay every few weeks, go for around $200. A bit more, if listed with stands. Here's the most recent listing I have saved:
    C:\My Documents\ebay\Audio Buying\Polk\Monitors\10's\eBay item 5716738564 (Ends Aug-27-04 135507 PDT) - POLK AUDIO MONITOR 10B 10 B HOME AUDIO SPEAKERS !!.htm

Edit: Duh... copying my file doesn't help much... Here's a link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5716738564

The Orion **** on the 10b's is:
    POLK SPK, MONITOR 10B
    Description: 3-WAY, 10" SUBWOOFER, (2)6.5" BASS-MIDS, 1" TWEETER, VINYL
    Manufacture Years: 1979 - 1989
    Additional Information:
    Retail
    MSRP: $750.00
    USED: $240.00
    Wholesale
    Mint: $140.00
    Average: $80.00

EDIT: Do note that the older "A" series Mon's (with the Peerless tweeters) do run less than the B's, both in Orion and on the bay, by $50 to $100...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited September 2004
    Options
    The last pair of Monitor 11's on eBay went for $227.00 or so a couple of months ago. As I've stated before, my father has a pair he bought new and they still sound good today.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Terpsfan
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the quick and useful responses! I had no idea there was such an active community of Polk fans - that was my first post here, but I have been lurking since the Spring :)

BlueMDPicker - Ellicott City too?? I sent you back a PM.

Thanks
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Yeah, keep lurking around my man. Several Maryland Polkies in here on a regular basis. I'm in Baltimore.

John
    No excuses!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited September 2004
    Options
    These guys don't know what they're talking about. This speaker is awful, send them to me immediately, and save yourself any further embarrassment....:D
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited September 2004
    Options
    How much?

Twin:p
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2004
    Options
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by George Grand
    Disregard.
    Hell, I'll say it...
    Welcome home, Troy.....
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Tour2ma
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Meanwhile, back on topic...

Terpsfan,
    Do you have a deal set with BlueMDPicker or other? If not, I'd like a spot in line.

I think I may have a very private carrier that can get them on their way to TX...

(right F1/ doro??? :D )

Let me know...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Terpsfan
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback and interest everyone! BlueMDPicker did ask about the speakers first and he's gonna stop by and audition them and has first dibs - and he lives about 5 min. away from me, amazing. If he's not interested, I'll post again that they're available.

Thanks
  • krimney
    krimney Posts: 44
    edited September 2004
    Options
    They look just like my 11s. Whoever ended up with the manual, I'd love a copy if it isn't too much trouble. No need for anything fancy, just plop in on a photocopier, fold the paper into a small envelope, whatever it takes. I can send a couple bucks if you want. I've seen a fair # of the 10s but only the one 11.
    If you guys are in search of those Peerless tweeters, the Bang and Olufsen S70 uses them too.
    So many speakers, so little time..
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Hey Picker, did you get them?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    Hey Picker, did you get them?

Hi doro,

I've been away for the last 10 days. Terpsfan and I got together before I left, and on the phone yesterday, and I'm taking a look/listen this evening or saturday.

- Mike
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Mike - Sounds great, you know the collecting doesn't end there right? :D

Mark
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Oh, how well I know Mark! Once I get "in" to something, I'm IN. My wife still smiles and shakes her head every time a new guitar magically appears in the house. She absolutely loves our SDA 2-B's, so this could get scarey as hell.

Given the opportunity, I could easily become "Raife, Jr." :cool:
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Amen! Hey when are you going to take a trip over here?
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    Amen! Hey when are you going to take a trip over here?

Any time I'm invited! :p

I've cruised out your way often in the street rod (108 to 27 to 144 and back home used to be one of my favorite circuits.) The rolling landscape dotted with scenic horse farms is slowly but surely giving way to housing - still beautiful country and some of the best in this part of MD.

Mike
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by krimney
    They look just like my 11s. Whoever ended up with the manual, I'd love a copy if it isn't too much trouble.

PM me with your email address and I'll scan the manual and put it in a PDF file, if that works for you.

Mike
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited September 2004
    Options
  • Terpsfan
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Terpsfan
    Thanks for the feedback and interest everyone! BlueMDPicker did ask about the speakers first and he's gonna stop by and audition them and has first dibs - and he lives about 5 min. away from me, amazing. If he's not interested, I'll post again that they're available.

Thanks

Sold 'em to a good home at Picker's!
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Marty,

Just as I suspected after listening to them at your place, my wife wants me to use them in the 2 CH rig and move the SDA 2-B's to the family room system (pssst... it ain't gonna' happen!) She likes the 11's over the SDA's because of the slightly crisper highs and attenuated bass the 11's provide with the "padding" on the passive sub-bass radiators. She's turning into quite the little audiophile - gotta' love it!

Thanks for selling me (another) great set of Polks.

Mike
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Damn... I mean congrats, BMDP...

Your wife has good taste. I think those old Peerless tweeters are something special as well.

... and I believe the proper term is "audio-filly"... ;)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• BlueMDPicker
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    ... and I believe the proper term is "audio-filly"... ;)

She likes it! Thanks!