Speakers WONT STOP rattling?!?!?!?!

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited September 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
hey. i have a '98 3000gt and i just installed some Polk Audio speakers. the front right door panel speaker will not stop ratting..usually during songs with bass. I called hifibuys and they said to put silicond around my speakers (so it wont rattle against tthe speaker cover) but that didnt help at all?!?!?! what can i do???
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited September 2004
    it might be in the frame or part of the door pannel could be loose...

btw, is your 3000gt a twin turbo??

my next car is going to be a Stealth RT TT
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • Systems
    edited September 2004
    i dont think it is... it sounds like my system is trying to do bass through the front speakers or seomthing.. im not sure though
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited September 2004
    and also, when i took the speaker cover (the door grille) off, the speaker did not rattle.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited September 2004
    the speaker might be hitting the grill.... which polk speakers do you have in there?

so is it twin turbo or not?? :p
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • Systems
    edited September 2004
    lol i have the Polk Audio MMC6500 Component Speaker System .

and no its not a turbo :(. im getting turbos in it though :) ...when i get 5000$$$. anyways. what can i do bout my sound
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2004
    The MMC650 is the coaxial. The MMC6500 is the component. Not trying to be nit picky but if its the coaxial then it may be the tweeter banging against the door. The component shoudnt be hitting the door at all.

If you have the component set I recommend investing in some vibration dampening. Circuit City has the Tsunami Speaker Kits which is a pair of 12"x12" sheets of very good dampening for about $13. Grab a set or two of these and apply then around the door skin in the area of the speaker. Idealy the entire door skin should be dampened along with the door panel but those kits cost upwards of $80. If youve got the cash thats the best way to go.

If you have the coaxial and its the tweeter banging the door skin check and see if they used a spacer when installing the speaker. This is likely as the Carbon speaker line has freaking HUGE baskets and you usually have to have a spacer if you have not much room in the door panel. If so you may want to fabricate one a little thinner to give the speaker a little more room.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2004
    why not just leave the grill off?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Systems
    edited September 2004
    it looks ghetto lol
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2004
    Try the damping thing. Even if it doesnt fix the rattle it will noticeably improve your SQ!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited September 2004
    My window crank rattles :-( Very annoying.... but it's because it's loose. Secure that cover and you should be fine....
    Ludicrous gibs!