Finally getting a Brahma!

mbdyer12
mbdyer12 Posts: 220
edited September 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
In 3-4 weeks and I'll be ordering the 12" Brahma, the amp, and some sound dampening for at least the trunk. I really cant wait! I've been lacking a sub too long and I want to go all out.

I was browsing through the Adire site and I found the box size vs power handling chart. It says a 0.92ft^3 box with 900watts will have it reach peak excursion. I decided to go with a box around 1.0 ft^3 and get the Hifonics BX1000D (1000x1 @ 1 ohm).

I moved up to a bigger box and down to a smaller amp (over the BX1500D) for one main reason, I dont want to buy new power wire. A few months ago I had run 4ga for my 2 amps (1 for sub, 1 for speakers) but I had taken out and sold my sub and its matching amp because it wasn't keeping up to my speakers. I have around 12-14 ft of wire. I was hoping that I would be able to keep the 4ga and just keep the gains down a little bit so it doesn't send the amp into clipping.

I've read that when run off class AB amps, the system can pull about 1100 watts on 4ga at that length. With class D, around 1350watts. These are just numbers I've read somewhere but I cant back up the reliability of the source.

Amp for speakers = 300watts
Amp for sub + = 1000watts

I have the gains at about 1/3 - 1/2 on the amp right now and it should stay that way. I'm not sure I want to afford new power cable. This is already pretty expensive as it is. Please say its okay. Haha
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
Post edited by mbdyer12 on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited September 2004
    you should be good with a current draw of up to 140 amps on that 4-gauge... check the fuse ratings on both the amps you're using... if they add up to less than 140 you're good, but if not it could be dangerous unless you step up to 2 gauge (for up to maybe 170 amperes, 1/0 beyond that).

gains tutorial
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2004
    hopefully they wont be on back order when you order...im "supposed" to be getting mine the "first or second week of september"
    dont think its going to happen...
    im sure ill have it maybe not next week, but hopefully the week after
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • mbdyer12
    edited September 2004
    I broke down and ordered a brahma tonight. We'll see how long it takes. I'm already getting giddy.

I got two numbers for the Hifonics bx1000d (60a and 80a). I'm not sure which, nor do I care because aft 80a its still <140 (130 to be exact). Woohoo :D I cant wait.

Also, what material would you reccomend the box be made out of?

While I'm typing this, I might as well ask....will my rear speakers (in the rear deck) be damaged by the pressure levels in the trunk?
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,529
    edited September 2004
    I think you should be asking if your trunk will be damaged :D
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    the box should be made out of 3/4" MDF or cabinet-grade Birch plywood
    birch is stronger, lighter, and more "ideal"--but more expensive and harder to cut since its plywood
    either way--you need to have excessive bracing
    the best rule to go by is to use more than you would think you need
    if your box flexes half the width of your finger nail it can cause drastic audible changes in both spl and sq
    as far as rear speakers---if theyre playing it will mess them up--personally...id just take em out--if you use them when that sub is turned up itll fahq em over pretty good
    -Cody
  • mbdyer12
    edited September 2004
    Thats what I thought. Time to find a buyer for them. Maybe I'll be able to buy a pair of MM6's and bi-amp them now :D (75watt x 4 would be perfect for them, right?)

I'm thinking about just having a box made by someone with the right equipment instead of me doing it myself so I can get it all working faster.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    where did you order it from?
    -Cody
  • mbdyer12
    edited September 2004
    Adire's store. Is that ok? :eek: I figure since they distribute them, they'll send them out to me first if I order from them, at the expense of $20 in shipping...
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    doesnt matter...they go in order of when they got the orders...so if theres a distributor that ordered first then they go to them first
    and most of the distributors are small and order more subs when people order from them
    as far as boxes... www.sound-foundations.us
    id only buy boxes from there for a brahma...they are way too heavy and handle way too much power for a pre-made box...
    exception being subzero-brahma specific boxes
    -Cody
  • mbdyer12
    edited September 2004
    I'd imagine a prebuilt one would implode. I'd never buy prebuilt for the brahma, but I'd still like to have one made to specs at a local shop.

In either case, I just wanna get it asap :D:D You all have been talking so highly of it.. Haha. I want my sub.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    the ones at sound-foundations are not mass produced...they are made just like a shop would make them--but he puts some extras in it like bracing and motor supports which most shops wont do or they will charge you out the **** for
    the subzero boxes are mass produced but they are very good boxes and have been proved several times over...they too have motor supports...which for a 40 lb sub--its nice to have
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited September 2004
    yep... thick mdf, crazy bracing, motor support good, rear speakers bad, 75x4 is good, bass GOOD!
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by mbdyer12
    Thats what I thought. Time to find a buyer for them. Maybe I'll be able to buy a pair of MM6's and bi-amp them now :D (75watt x 4 would be perfect for them, right?)

I dont know if you saw the thread but SoundDomain has the MM6 on sale right now for $190!! Thats a giveaway price! And yes, 75x4 is perfect for those things and bi-amping is the ONLY way to go!! ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • mbdyer12
    edited September 2004
    You're the one that gave me the motivation to consider the MM6's :D It just so happens the amp is well matched for biamping them.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • mbdyer12
    edited September 2004
    Cody, you might have convinced me to go with that box from sound foundations. The only thing holding me back now is that my friend is a close friend of a carpenter thats supposedly "really good." If I can get it built "really cheap," I might go with that, otherwise I'm going to go with that box you reccomended. Thanks for the info :D
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    im not sure if he still does but he used to sell just the plans to build the boxes...you might want to email them to find out if he still does
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2004
    The 400.4 was actually designed especially for bi-amping the MM6. You can bypass the passive x-over and use the active units on the amp for a much better sound and more flexibility in tuning. Thats the best way to go!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • mbdyer12
    edited September 2004
    SWEET!!! I got the okay to buy my 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX this week :D I sold my car, now all I need to do is find a good deal and I'm driving home in a new car! A damn fine new car if you ask me. Now I need to buy the MM6s and buy that box at sound-foundations to finish off the whole thing. I think I'm going to put less money down on the car and save a little so I can put together a cheap pc (xp1600+ w/ 256mb ram, 40gig hard drive), put a 7" touch screen vga lcd screen in the dash (http://www.mp3car.com/store) and mount the head unit where the ashtray goes so I can have portable mp3s and a computer :D What do you all think?

Hey Cody, any news on the brahma's? I never got an email saying that it was backordered, even though the first email said I would. I emailed them about it and I still havn't got a reply after 3-4 days. Any word? :(
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    Seth said he would PM me as soon as he got any more info. on it and he hasnt...my guess is he is as clueless as we are...:(
    you might look at Polk's cars for ideas...i think they have something like 7 WRXs
    im still thinking about getting one of those next year...you should just shell out the money for an STi:D
    -Cody
  • mbdyer12
    edited September 2004
    The STi would be another $8,000 that I don't have. Part-time at UPS wont cover that bill. :( Even though it could use some more oomph, the WRX still handles like a dream. Its better than anything else in the price range.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    just dont run it on 87 octane and youll be fine
    i want an STi:(
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2004
    Yeah, the WRX is bad. I dont consider that rice. I put it in the same category as the RX7, Supra and 350Z.

Plus anything that can do 0-60 in less than 5 seconds OFF ROAD (!) is bad **** in my book!

• exalted512
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Yeah, the WRX is bad. I dont consider that rice.
    same here--i still might opt to get one of those next summer
    WRX or Z-71...decisions decisions...
    -Cody
  • mbdyer12
    edited September 2004
    Have you taken a test drive in any of the 02-05 models? If not, I'd HIGHLY reccomend it. I swear I was born to drive that thing. It felt like an extension of my body. :D I could have it tuesday if this particular dealer gives me a good deal. I'll leave a full review of it when I get it....then on to waiting for the freakin' brahma.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512

WRX or Z-71...decisions decisions...
    -Cody

If it were between those two, Id take a Z71 ext cab (or crew cab) with the 5.3, no two ways about it. Actually Id prefer a 1500HD Z71 Crew Cab with the 6.0! Now we're talkin'!!

• exalted512
    edited September 2004
    they dont make z's with the 6.0...they only come in the 1500HD and up, but the HDs arent z's...
    im not exactly sure what im going to get...itll probably be what the best deal is...i sure as hell wouldnt mind a 4x4 1500hd with the 6.0...
    i think ill opt for the 5.3 just because gas is so high and itll be getting lifted with 35s:D
    -Cody