Circuit City - The Final Nail

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited November 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I heard over on the Carsound forum that Circuit City will no longer carry Alpine product as of December 31.

That should just about do it for me. I have no reason to shop at Circuit City anymore other than Polk Audio home speakers and maybe computer stuff. Their car audio department is now in the same league as Wal-Mart and Autozone. :mad: :(
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2004
    wow...thats really horrible
    i still wish i could get a job there...or somewhere...lol
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited September 2004
    No more Polk over in Home Audio, either. I was just in there a couple of hours ago-nice selection of low dollar no name crap. I won't be shopping there again.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,529
    edited September 2004
    Circuit City will be carring the Polk Audio Monitor Line...

It should be in there by now...

Circuit City - Monitor Line
    Tweeter - RTi and LSi line
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited September 2004
    Awwww crap, I atleast wanted to buy alpine from there when I got a discount. That's really too bad though,
    -adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2004
    Best Buy sucks **** too. I guess Ill have to start shopping online now!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • swerve
    edited September 2004
    best buy is beyond suck ****. I always run into problems with best buy as compared to cc. :(
    -adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2004
    Well Tweeter is right around the corner so I can always go there. Not only do they have Polk Audio but also MB Quart and JL Audio. But with MB Quart Reference going for $330 retail and $180 online not to mention the MB Quart Premiums going for $580 retail and $280 online, I dont know if I can buy retail annymore with a straight face!

• swerve
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    I dont know if I can buy retail annymore with a straight face!
    I hear ya. I can't buy anything with a straight face anyways, but a high school students budget isn't really the best.

Unfortunately the nearest Tweeter to me is up like 2 hours north and I'm not driving that far for speakers... I'll just have to keep paying mom's credit card and using it.
    -adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited September 2004
    1. CC has just about dropped everything Polk. I think the only things they'll be carrying soon are the DB coaxes and the Monitor stuff for home. Good thing that Tweeter picked up Polk stuff, or there would be hardly anywhere you could see the decent stuff.

2. My philosophy on buying from authorized dealers vs. the cheapest place on the net: If you're in high school, college, or don't have the income to afford authorized stuff from the local guy, go for it. Just because you have a low income doesn't mean you shouldn't have a taste of the sweeter things in life. On the other hand, if you could afford the stuff from an authorized dealer (especially the local shop), the little angel on my shoulder says to buy from them. Full warranty and being assured you're not giving a one person company a crap load of profit is a priority for me...
    And that my friends, is my 2 cents.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2004
    My only fear of buying online, and Ive said it many times on here, is that youre getting a remanufactured, defective or flat out knock off product that isnt worth the packing tape.

However, finding those MM6's for $190 on SoundDomain is perfect! I trust SD and Crutchfield as much as CC or BB so I get one of my favorite speakers for half the price!

Now I just gotta find $190 before they run out of stock! :(

• LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited September 2004
    Fry's Electronics has an entire room devoted to POLK home audio, and they carry the POLK car audio as well... Only problems are:
    - Not very many Fry's around
    - Their switchboard SUCKS.... and honestly, they don't know their ****.

So if you have one nearby and you want to go mess with it yourself, they carry all of it... from the top to the bottom.

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • swerve
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by LittleCar_w/12s
    - Their switchboard SUCKS.... and honestly, they don't know their ****.
    All the places have switchboards here but they never have them operating :mad:. What this area needs is a decent audio store.
    -adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • swerve
    edited September 2004
    I now work at circuit city in the car audio department... got hired today! decent pay too... yea i'm pretty happy

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Rogue Torino
    Rogue Torino Posts: 50
    edited September 2004
    Yes this is true. It seems that everyone in the corprate office for Circuit City has thier heads up thier asses. If CC doesn't get some other high end brand to replace Alpine i think i shall be looking for a different job. It's hard to keep a positive attitude at work when all your gunna be installing is ****. It's like they are trying to destroy the company.

Oh and did i mention i could get new alpine stuff cheaper on Ebay than from my own employee discount? Yeah, that's pretty sad.
    -Joe
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2004
    If CC is going to dump Alpine, Id like to see them pick up somebody worthwhile. Id like to see them bring back Coustic amps and maybe JBL speakers (Polk is too good for CC). Those two arent high end but theyre a hell of a lot better than Audioblah and light years beyond ESA and Verge!

• Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by swerve
    I now work at circuit city in the car audio department... got hired today! decent pay too... yea i'm pretty happy

-adam

define decent pay? i thought they started out just over minimum wage??

working in a factory for a couple years now, i don't consider anything under 10/hr as being decent ;):p
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • swerve
    edited September 2004
    Well considering I'm still in high school 8.50 is decent. My other job is 8.67 and the demand isn't high either.
    -adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Joelsbass
    edited September 2004
    crap... i need to move to bloomington :p

• swerve
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by Joelsbass
    crap... i need to move to bloomington :p
    don't say that... this place sucks
    -adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • swerve
    edited September 2004
    I didn't plan on buying anything from there anyways.... but I was just curious... and Joe Dumbass is a good market right now anyways..:D
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2004
    Nothing wrong with having stuff Joe Sixpack will want to buy but what about those of us in the know and want an Alpine V12 over an ESA or Audiobahn?

I think Tweeter will be the future. They have everything from $80 speakers all the way to $1300 models. Something for everybody! CC couldve done this but they chose to go the cheap way out and it may hurt them. It has in my eyes.

• Joelsbass
    edited September 2004
    theres a new store by me called Ovation.. they seem pretty decent, they have boston, JL, alpine, Planet audio... they seem to run the gamut of price's pretty well... nothin i care to buy but a good selection at least

• MacLeod
    edited September 2004
    CC used to be all that! I mean you had the cheaper Kenwood and Profile amps and then you had the awesome Alpine V12 and MTX Thunder.

Then you had chep-o speakers then you had Infinity Kappa and Polk Momo!

Oh well. Im lucky that I have a Tweeter in town so Ill just take all my business over there.

• Big10Fan
    Big10Fan Posts: 63
    edited November 2004
    sorry if I'm digging old threads up, but the rumor is alpine is going to best buy and CC is getting eclipse
  • swerve
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by Big10Fan
    sorry if I'm digging old threads up, but the rumor is alpine is going to best buy and CC is getting eclipse
    Heh... i just signed up on retail worker and I assume you're the same Big10Fan there as well...

I think my post on RW board makes a good point... of dumb people atleast knowing what alpine is... you say ecliipse and they say... "what?.... i'll take the panasonic instead"

it's going downhillll from here... we even got a jensen indash lcd now....
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Big10Fan
    Big10Fan Posts: 63
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by swerve
    Heh... i just signed up on retail worker and I assume you're the same Big10Fan there as well...

I think my post on RW board makes a good point... of dumb people atleast knowing what alpine is... you say ecliipse and they say... "what?.... i'll take the panasonic instead"

it's going downhillll from here... we even got a jensen indash lcd now....

yea man idiot consumers r killing retail, what I'd give to get employee discount on an eclipse h/u (btw ya same person :P, damn dude u see our discounts for polk? its insane)
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2004
    Thats not the first time Ive heard that and its kind of got me wondering what Polk sales their stuff for wholesale. Sounddomain marked their MM6 down to $190. Which means they must be getting them for $150 at least. Is the mark up that much?!?

Also, I dig Eclipse a lot too but until they start making their H/U's a little more attractive I probably continue buying Alpines.

• swerve
    edited November 2004
    Yea I've looked at the accomodations page... but not going to use it since i bought all polk before i started working there. :D:D

I just bought a alpine 9831 and I'm pretty happy with it. I was fire today with CA.... the person who came in at 5 was loving me because I had budget and everything met... Made the job easier for them....

it's getting easier to sell since it's getting closer to xmas.... usually we are dead while BB is poppin' off. :mad:
    cats.vans.bag...
  • swerve
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Thats not the first time Ive heard that and its kind of got me wondering what Polk sales their stuff for wholesale. Sounddomain marked their MM6 down to $190. Which means they must be getting them for $150 at least. Is the mark up that much?!?

Also, I dig Eclipse a lot too but until they start making their H/U's a little more attractive I probably continue buying Alpines.
    When I first saw how much stuff was discounted... I almost crapped my pants and wanted to buy everything. It's that good. hahaha

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2004
    Good job on the City Advantage! Maybe your boss will get a bonus based on YOUR hard work, and he'll send you an email in appreciation. That would be swell.

Regards,
    PolkThug

;)