Which receiver?

Options
francis1967
francis1967 Posts: 161
edited September 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
PLEASE DISREGARD THIS POST. I listed it in the wrong catagory, is now placed under electronics where it belongs. Couldn't delete it here for some reason.

Hello polkies.

I would be grateful for some advice. For time being, I need to leave expensive separates alone and go back to a receiver. For sake of argument, pls do not suggest separates unless you know of a prepro for under $500 that does 2 zones for both video and audio, component switching with 50Mhz bandwidth, pretty high end DACs, DTS 96/24, SACD-6-ch pre-outs, excellent 2 channel pass-through, THX cert and then minimum a 4ch high current amp to go with the prepro.

Those are my demands for my receiver as well.

My existing components that I will be using are:

LSI-9 mains bi-amped
Onix Rocket RSC-200 center speaker (aka Bigfoot..IMHO blows away LSi-C, has same tweeter)
FXi-300 surrounds (haven't amassed enough 6ch music to justify better rears and the 300s are surprisingly decent!)
LSi-7s in second room
Toshiba SD9200 dvd/cd player and Epson S1+ for projector, DIY screen
Monster powercenter HTS3500
Monster M1.2 and M2.2, plus some DIY cables.

HK Sig 2.1 high current amp for the mains and center channel, utilizing only the receiver for the rears, the second room and perhaps a second set of surrounds in the future.

After hours and hours of online searching, the above has cost me under $2500. Makes watching a movie even sweeter! :-)

So, after reading all your threads on receiver, there are basically three camps here, Denon, HK and Onkyo, so I have looked at offerings from all those manufacturers and I have come up the following receivers in the order of how they comply with my wishlist. I would like to ask you if you have certain experience with any of these and which offer best value for money. The dollar value next to the receiver is what I can get it for today.

1. Onkyo TX-NR900 ($690 shipped) was almost top model, but NR901 arrived so this one is being closed out.
2. Denon AVR-3803 ($529 shipped)
2b. Denon AVR-3805 ($789 shipped) Can't see much diff between 3803 and 3805.
3. HK AVR630 ($650 plus shipping), AVR525 falls short too many places on the wishlist
4. NAD T563 ($630 incl shipping)

If I have missed any obvious choices OR if there are cheaper prices to be had, I would be grateful to hear about it. I can go with A/B stock, refurbs or used as long as it is in solid working condition.

Thanks a bunch for reading!
Post edited by francis1967 on

Comments

• sowen010599
    sowen010599 Posts: 343
    edited September 2004
    Options
    A few more receivers you may take a look at....

Marantz SR7400
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX
    Yamaha RX-V2400

Back in late November of last year, I was looking for a new receiver. Had up to $1,500.00 I wanted to spend. I had a 2 year old HK I wanted to replace.

My system consists of
    Rti70 fronts
    CSi40 center
    4 Rti38's for surround and surround back
    Velodyne 12 & 15

My first decision was to plunk down a grand on a new Onkyo. I was sorely disappointed with that unit. Vocals were nasal, and bass in 2 channel mode was terrible. After two weeks of tweaking, I boxed it up and returned it. That started my "mission" to find the best receiver I could.

Just about every receiver on your list and mine was demoed in my home. The two I kept coming back to was the Denon 3803 and the Yamaha RX-V2400. By this time, it was January and I was still on the crusade. For my ears, it was those two, and those alone. The dynamics of those two are very impressive. Stone quiet one moment, blowing you away the next.

After 3 weeks of living with the two, and doing comparisons almost every day (almost cost me my marriage ;)) I kept coming back to the Yamaha. Both receivers are excellent, but with direct comparison, the Denon sounded a little "fuzzy". Not in a bad way, it just lacked the simply amazing clarity of the Yammy.

That was it for me, after it all, it was the Yamaha. Check out this review.... http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/YamahaRXV-2400Receiver-p1.html

Info on the unit http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/RECEIVER/RX-V2400.htm
    http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/RECEIVER/RXV2400_lit.PDF

I have had the RX-V2400 for almost 8 months now. I have been very pleased with it. It is a good piece.
    Go BIG or go home!
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited September 2004
    Options
    I'd suggest you look into a pre owned Sunfire Ultimate Receiver. Might be a little more than you want to spend right now, but worth the wait to save for it...
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited September 2004
    Options
    The yamaha has lower harmonic distortion and a higher damping factor.

-Luc