Me and my big mouth

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited September 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
On another thread yesterday I stated "we keep hearing complaints about dead Momo subs but hardly ever Momo speakers". Well, my left MMC690 mid is starting to cut in and out. It doesnt do it often but every once in a while. It did it once with my old amps and stayed out the entire way to work. After work it played fine and I wrote it off as a fluke. Now its acting squirrely again. Possibly a problem with the lead like Cody had.

Hmmm....maybe this is a good excuse to go speaker hunting!! :D
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited September 2004
    loose lead, or loose speaker wire, or worn insulation on speaker wire are the three i can think of off the top of my head
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited September 2004
    I had a similar problem a while back, the spot where the leads mount, where you hook up the signal input, the plastic? peice that hold the leads there broke. when i hit a bump, or the wire moved, it would arc and cause everything to short out.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2004
    if it only does it when the bass hits...its probably the lead
    reason being the speaker extends itself really far out and the lead loses contact...therefore cutting out
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2004
    Ive noticed no certain conditions to make it cut out. When Im driving to work at 5 am I dont have it very loud cause Im too busy wishing I were dead then listening to music, and it cut out there for half the trip one time.

Then when sitting at the Burger King drive thru ordering a Whopper I suddenly noticed only treble coming out of the drivers side door.

Then yesterday whilst driving I had it cranked pretty good playing my compilation CD of my favorite Nightwish songs and it cut out.

Ive pulled the speaker out and everything is ok.

Actually I dont care enough to investigate further. Im taking this as a good excuse to buy new speakers. My JL box in the back will just have to stay there a little while longer. :D Besides. I can get a Diamond Audio CM3 8" for $100 from the dealer and itll work in my existing .29 ft3 box. So if I just have to have one I can run out and get one pretty easy.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D