1/0 questions...

Joelsbass
Joelsbass Posts: 637
edited September 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
hey guys, i'm looking around at 1/0 power wire and i was wondering what brands you all reccomend... just getting some ideas and prices while i figgure out exactly what my next set of upgrades will be :rolleyes:

also, how much current can 2ga handle? considering the posibility of running the 4ga i already have for one amp and 2ga for the other instead of having to get 1/0 and splitters :rolleyes:

also, does anybody know the address for second skin? i want to take a look at their prices and can't remember the website...

i'm pretty sure that's all the questions i had.... lol
MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
Post edited by Joelsbass on

Comments

• spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited September 2004
    im not sure about the second skin, you also might wanna check out www.fatmat.com ive heard good things about them a while ago. 100 sqft is $100 plus shipping, which is like $30
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2004
    Well, I usually use Tsunami wires. Im sure theyre no better than Streetwires or Stinger or the like but Circuit City has some decent prices on them and I just got in the habbit of buying from there.

As far as internet pricing, SoundDomain has some pretty good prices on Streetwires, Stinger and others.

Knukonceptz.com also has really good prices.

As far as current capabilities, 4 guage handles up to 120 amps and then 1/0 guage from there. Im not sure about 2 guage but Id wager it would be in the 140-150 range.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Joelsbass
    edited September 2004
    another question... what RCA's does everybody reccomend? i'm going to be running a HU with 8v non-clipping outputs to US Amps gear (which accepts up to 9)... streetwires zeronoise 6? or is there a better one (that doesn't cost an ungodly amount of money :p )

• MacLeod
    edited September 2004
    Personally I think the Streetwires Zero Noise series are the best.

My second choice would be Stinger RCA's.

My personal belief for RCA's are to buy the most expensive set you can afford. Power wire is power wire. Interconnects are much more open to noise and interferance and can make a big impact on your SQ.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Joelsbass
    edited September 2004
    i can't remember if it was the zero noise 5 or the zero noise 6 that everybody reccomended.... i think it might have been the 5...

• spwuinmk67
    edited September 2004
    it was the 5, but no one could find them in the longer lengths. so other then that i believe 3 was also highly recommended
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• Joelsbass
    edited September 2004
    3 over the 6?

• spwuinmk67
    edited September 2004
    i dont remember much about the 6...i remember hearing about the 3 alot
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• MacLeod
    edited September 2004
    Well, there probably is a point to where the cable isnt that much better despite its double price tag. I think this is the case between the $75 ZN6 and the $40 ZN3. If you were to go with the 3 I doubt very seriously youd ever miss the extra $35.

• spwuinmk67
    edited September 2004
    damn these wires are expensive, so is this hobby. i need a better job...
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• Joelsbass
    edited September 2004
    that and since i'm going to be running 2 15' cables and 3 3' cables :eek: price would get pretty high on the zn6's.....

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2004
    the street wires 5.0s are probably the best rca's on the market
    i have one set--cant find anymore in 12ft or longer...i got the last set off of crutchfield actually
    SW 6.0s is what im going with next time i replace my RCAs(except im keeping the 5.0)--which will be when i get my new truck in a year
    as far as power wire goes, www.weldingsupply.com or www.knukonceptz.com
    welding supply is cheaper but i believe it has a smaller strand count...smaller strand count=less flexibility
    and with 1/0awg flexibility is important...all my power wire is from knukonceptz and the stuff is absolutely fantastic
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • spwuinmk67
    edited September 2004
    the 5.0's arent listed on streetwires website either, so maybe they stopped making the 5.0's
    edit: theyre listed under classic products
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• exalted512
    edited September 2004
    yeah---they stopped making them about 3ish? years ago
    -Cody
  • spwuinmk67
    edited September 2004
    i didnt know that..oh well
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• Joelsbass
    edited September 2004
    i'll have to keep an eye on ebay till i upgrade... maybe i'll get lucky... post a wtb on all the car aduio sites too lol

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited September 2004
    i vote stinger expert - my 20 foot cable was $110 total (with tax) but it was worth its weight in platinum (which, if you didn't know, is worth more than gold). I had a totally average set of interconnects before, a planet audio 17' (i just emailed them for the msrp), and they worked just fine, but, being very sensitive to noise, i noticed a faint background hum/hiss in some program material... with the experts there is NOTHING... i can put on opera or clean classical at ear-piercing volumes and there is nothing except amazing audio...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited September 2004
    If you are talking power wire here, and I assume you are...

If you have shops nearby that have electrical wire, like for house power, you will get more throughput and a better price.
    Because power wire is basically a straight DC current, it ca be carried by solid conductor wire better than stranded. A 14 GA solid wire has ledd DC resistance then 14GA stranded. Large power wire has typically 7 solid wires in it.

At 1/0 ga, you will need a conduit bender to run it, but it will be much better, and will be free if you can find someone who has it scrap. I found some at a construction site a while back, but did not have my bolt cutters to cut it, and I could not keep put the 50 ft scrap loop on top of my car...

This is my reccomendation, and it will be what I am going to do in my car. You will also find it easier to run it under your body, but you will have to find the underground type wire, it has a PVC casing on it to protect against rocks. I also reccomend soldering your lugs on, and a torch solderer will be needed at 1/0.

Hope this helps... again, it is only good for power wire. NEVER for speaker wire, as AC runs on the outside of a wire, and DC on the middle of the wire, Super-large strand numbers offer lower resistance in speaker wire.

-Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited September 2004
    To answer one of the original questions: second skin is here.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • Joelsbass
    edited September 2004
    sweet, thanks austinkp :D

• neomagus00
    edited September 2004
    jerry's got a point on the power wire - the electrical stuff is good because it's lower resistance, but at 1/0 it's gonna be crazy hard to bend... as in he was serious about mounting it on the outside of the car... that's why there's car audio power wire, to make it manageable in the car environment... your choice...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    doubt you, much less anyone in the entire world notice any difference at all if you were using the recommended size
    resistance of that magnitude is small and in all honesty, not relevant
    -Cody
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited September 2004
    Fatmat is cheap! I think I'm going to go with them to line my trunk. 36 sq ft for only $50? Sounds like a good deal to me.

Anyone had any experience with them?
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • spwuinmk67
    edited September 2004
    i have yet to use it, but the guy i heard about it from told me nothing but good things...
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• neomagus00
    edited September 2004
    cody - true, at least for the vast majority... for spl though it could make a difference (in a system without caps, that is)... that last little bit could be what does it...

but yeah, unless you're realllly pushing the limits of 1/0 AND you're doing SPL comps, go with the flexible audio cable

• Joelsbass
    edited September 2004
    ya'll know me... i'm sq through and through.... i should be fine with the stuff from knukonceptz

• neomagus00
    edited September 2004
    mm.... yep!