What matches?

Options
strossos
strossos Posts: 14
edited September 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I'm going to get a infinity 10.1 for real cheap so I need a amp to power it, its rated at 350rms

I was looking at the 610a from infinity but its like 430rms, and then there is a 310a thats 113rms but 260 at 2ohms...

I'm thinking the 610a is the best, but any other suggestions?
basdfwa
Post edited by strossos on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2004
    Options
    is it a 4 ohm sub?
    do you want to stay with infinity for amps?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Personally I dont like Infinity amps that much. No real good reason I guess other than I dont like their speakers at all!

My favorite amps right now are Crossfire. Way Powerful! This VR302 is what Im using to push my subs. Its rated at 300x1 but the birth sheet states 350x1.

My second choice would be MTX. Like Crossfire they are very powerful and well built. You could go with this MTX Thunder342. Its rated at 340x1 but itll probably put out more like 375+ but will be ok for your sub.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • strossos
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Well basicly I'm getting the Infinity stuff on employee discount.

The 610a amp (450rms), is $150.

The kappa perfect sub 10.1 (rated 350rms), is $60.

Of course I'm cheap, but that sub seems great for the money and the amp is the difficult part at the moment. The 610a should give me room to grow also... and I won't have to worry about clipping the sub I guess.

Additionally, I can get 60% off the msrp of monster cable products, is it worth doing this for all the needed stuff or just go with a regular retail kit thats cheap?
    basdfwa
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited September 2004
    Options
    are there any other brands that you get the discount on? if so one of their amps might be better suited to your sub... if not i'd go with the bigger one so you have some headroom for upgrades, and personally i try to avoid cheap wires.... doesn't matter as much on power wire and speaker wire (as long as you get the right thickness) but it makes a huge difference with your RCA's
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • strossos
    edited September 2004
    Options
    I can get the polk mono amplifier C500.1 for about $211 also.. but thats only rated at 350rms.

Would the infinity kappa 12.1 be a better choice for a single sub setup? I defently want good SQL, and decent SPL.

One of the things I'm worried about with the 12 inch is that it wont be able to do mid bass as well as the 10 inch could. I know the 6x9s are there for that, but right now the polk 6x9s (db690) I have are only powered by a alpine headunit... so they don't get as powerfull as I would like. (Although I don't have the extra cable for the alpine 9813 headunit that goes directly to the battery, once I get that in, hopefully I can get some more power).

Hmm... would a setup like this be in danger of using to much battery power? Right now whenever I roll down more than one window at a time they both slow down and my lights dim. On the flip side however when I press my brake down the reverse idicator light comes on and my headunit light dims... damn crossed wires.

OH, and this right here have all the cables I would need to hook up one amp and one sub? knukoncpetz Kables

So this is what I'm looking at (using crutchfield cause it looks pretty :P)

Infinity 610a, 456rms

Kappa perfect 10.1, 350rms

Ah man, this is a long post... those are always ignored, I think I'm screwed now.
    basdfwa
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited September 2004
    Options
    lol, don't worry we're still readin ya

i'd say that looks like a good combo, just be carefull where you set your gains and make sure to break the sub in properly.

you should check with local car audio shops and see if anyone knows of a shop in your area that can rewind your alternator, often you can get an extra 50-60 amps of current out of it once it's been rewound... that should cover your voltage problem...
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2004
    Options
    If your lights dim when rolling down the windows Id say you have some serious issues. You should first get a new battery. Something along the lines of an Optima or Duralast. After that you could look into a new alternator.

The Polk Momo amp would be great! I would be far better than an Infinity.

As far as the Kappa sub, do it! Infinity can make some damn good subs so if you can get a deal on that, grab it.

You really need to amp those speakers. You dont know what youre missing!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • strossos
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    If your lights dim when rolling down the windows Id say you have some serious issues. You should first get a new battery. Something along the lines of an Optima or Duralast. After that you could look into a new alternator.

The Polk Momo amp would be great! I would be far better than an Infinity.

As far as the Kappa sub, do it! Infinity can make some damn good subs so if you can get a deal on that, grab it.

You really need to amp those speakers. You dont know what youre missing!

I'm kinda hoping that it is only a wiring problem, the battery was just replaced not more than 8 months ago. Heh, anouther wierd light thing is that my reverse lights don't come on when the brake is pressed...

Well I think I will order this stuff soon, see if I can't find a decent sub box at circuit city that matches the sub.

KAPPA PERFECT 12.1, 12 inch sub rated 350rms - $70.87

Infinity 610A 600 mono amp, rated 456rms - $148.69 (+$22.87 for s/h)

4 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit - $30.00 ( + $7.50 s/h)

some crappy enclosure with employee discount - $25

Total for the above: $304.93

Additionally, what the hell would I use to connect a alpine 9813 headunit to my battery? I think I need just a 10gauge wire... and a 10 gauge ground? What??
    basdfwa
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited September 2004
    Options
    you could build your own, higher quality, sub box for roughly the same price.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • strossos
    edited September 2004
    Options
    I should probly do that... there is enough guides online so I probly will.

Any word on the grounding for my headunit, and how to conect it to the battery?
    basdfwa
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited September 2004
    Options
    im not too sure, and i cant find it on alpines website. check your owners manual
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    Options
    grounding your head unit?
    effin alpine...
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited September 2004
    Options
    yeah, all HUs need grounded, every electronic thingy in the world needs to complete its circuit... if its anything like mine, you just use the stock +12V wire and crimp that to your +12V HU wire, and then bolt the ground wire on to some chassis metal... if you can't reach any with the given wire, splice it in to the stock ground wire... if this causes noise, you can try grounding your HU chassis too

btw, i have a pioneer

p.s. BYOB - build your own box!!!
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    Options
    the ground for my pioneer was in the wire harness:confused:
    -Cody
  • strossos
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Hmmm, here is the manual for the alpine 9813. The stuff about installation starts on page 34.

And here is the technical information.

Based on what I read from other forums, I need a 10gauge wire from the + terminal on the battery, to about a 30amp fuse positioned close to the battery, then continuing on with the 10gauge wire to somewhere on the back of the headunit. Then I assume by grounding I just take a 10gauge wire from anouther place on the back of my headunit (I dunno where) to a metal part of the chassie.
    basdfwa
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    Options
    i didnt look at the links but i know what youre talking about
    sounds right
    im just not a fan of alpine
    -Cody