RMS and Box Sizing

2»

Comments

• LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited September 2004
    Kenwood sucks (those **** won't even acknowledge that I purchased my amp... especially that they may have faulty input stages...)

OK, here's the breakdown on the SPL being higher at low volumes, etc. Sorry if I re-state something... BOLD indicates the subject at hand

For the SAME DRIVER.

>>It will take twice the POWER to move the driver in an e3nclosure half the size.
    >>The PRESSURES and RARIFACTIONS (vacuum) - (aka SPL) in an enclosure are inverse of the size (1/2 the box vol. has 2x the pressures..)
    >>the DYNAMIC BALANCE of the sub in the smaller enclosure is higher because the pressures and rarifactions increase the strength of the driver and stabilize it's reproduction of the sound.
    >>The SOUND QUALITY of the driver is increased in a smaller enclosure, the distortion being inverse of the increase in dynamic balance.
    >>The SPL to the environment will be higher in a larger enclosure. The SPL in the box will change inverse to the change in size, and the SPL in the box is the source of the dynamic balance effect.
    >>A free-air driver has extra MECHANICAL BALANCE to make up for the fact that there is no dynamic balance. This is the source of their cost.. However it allows them to be operated at much lower power with excellent output.
    >>POLK designed their Dynamic Balance series to take advantage of the Dynamic balance effect in a small enclusure, which is why the majority of POLK subs need enclosures matched or smaller than required
    >>A SMALLER enclosure will never hurt the driver, but the power required to get the maximum eXcusion-MAXimum might. Each driver is designed for a certain enclosure to maximise the dynamic balance versus power usage/handling.

Use this info to figure out what you are willing to change.

Time spent: Countless Hours...
    Cranking the system, having it quiet outside the car, and sound that takes the rear-view off inside: PRICELESS

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by LittleCar_w/12s
    The SOUND QUALITY of the driver is increased in a smaller enclosure, the distortion being inverse of the increase in dynamic balance.
    >>The SPL to the environment will be higher in a larger enclosure. The SPL in the box will change inverse to the change in size, and the SPL in the box is the source of the dynamic balance effect.
    thank you
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2004
    Unless its an MTX, Orion or Kicker sub.

And the JL warranty is for 90 days if you install it yourself and 1 year if a dealer installs. Still not the best though.

And drop that Gawddamned signature! It is pissing me off more and more each time I see it! :mad:
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    but i like my signature:(
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2004
    Aw hell, not the puppy dog eyes. Oh alright. Keep your stupid signature. Oh, and congrats on finally making it to Polkologist. Does this mean you get a raise?! ;) $$$$$
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    wow...i didnt even know that was my 2k post....and i wasted it on you!
    ugh;)
    if you counted the ones from the sntnsupermen131 as well id be less than 200 away from 4k posts....lol
    -Cody