Smoke in my mm10 enclosure

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited September 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
who knows where i have to send this thing to, i was listening then all of a sudden the bass is cut in half, I broke it in well above 50 hours, i wasn't even running it at rms, i was running my pair at about 375 each never even got to full volume.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited September 2004
    Options
    sounds like you burned up your voice coil......

call polk customer support...
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2004
    Options
    momos have a tendency to do that...how big is your amp?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Joelsbass
    edited September 2004
    Options
    hey cody, why don't you have aim on you punk:p

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2004
    Options
    I ran a MTX Thunder6000 8" rated at 150 rms off a Crossfire VR302 putting out 350x1 for 2 weeks and ran it pretty hard. I was trying to blow it just for the hell of it since I was getting rid of it and only paid $50 for it a year and a half ago.. It never even whimpered even when I pushed it into serious distortion levels.

Why cant Polk Audio make subs that can take abuse. Their speakers seem to be able to take quite a beating, so why not the subs?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Honestly i am wondering if they bought like a terrible quality 10 thousand foot spool of magnet wire for these Momos.......

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Something happened. I know you can say, "well most people only come on the forum when something breaks so that why you hear from them more". The problem is you almost NEVER see anyone complaining about the MM6 frying. And hell, when is the last time you heard anyone bitching about a dead DB?
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Joelsbass
    edited September 2004
    Options
    that's definately a good point... i wonder what the deal with these subs is....:confused:

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited September 2004
    Options
    i dunno, that is a good point, i'm leaning toward the bad supply, cause polk's pretty good at doing their thing... then again, maybe they just screwed up, it happens...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Just stick to Polk Audio for all your speaker needs and go to JL Audio for your subs. Theyre much better anyway. Right Cody?....Cody?......where the hell is he?

• exalted512
    edited September 2004
    Options
    the only thing id stick to JL is a big **** fire cracker:D
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited September 2004
    Options
    i'd have had you figured for at least napalm... you've calmed down in your mature college age... :p
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    Options
    oo ive been around some professional fire works shows...i know of a few that would blow the **** out a w7:D
    -Cody
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Bah, napalm... I'll whip you up some thermite... that'll melt it down to a puddle for ya...
    Trouble is why would one waste the money for a JL and then melt it like that... go out spectacularly... like borrow a few thousand watts from someone and watch it shhot the cone off the basket... just remember to bring the beer and the SPL meter...

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by exalted512
    id stick to JL
    -Cody

Progress at last!

Youre just lukcy I dont know how to put this into my signature!! :D

• exalted512
    edited September 2004
    Options
    lol..nice one:D
    -Cody