Amplifying Speakers

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited September 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Just got my GNX104. Im kinda strapped for cash though (got the GNX from Frys for $25) since im a full time college student, so needless to say ive got only $400 (or P20,000 PhP) to spend on my entire upgrade for my Mazda.

Most of the people I know did only two things: either get one powerful mono amp then get a pretty good 4-channel, or get a 4/3/2 Alpine V12, bridged two for the sub then powered the front door speakers.

I can't go for the first, since I don't want to buy a new alternator or risk problems with the stock unit, but with the second set up, if im gonna change the front (180w/80w rms) and rear (300w/100w) speakers, wouldn't the rears be underpowered?

My amp will be a Blaupunkt PCA 450 (around $150 here in the Philippines), with 100w x 2 + 200w x 1 in 3 ch mode, if i power the rear speakers to get the most our of them, will i still get better sound quality in general as well as at elevated volume levels than stock, if i replace the stock Sonys (80w/30w rms) with Infinitys (180w/80w rms) at the front wthout amplifying them?

Im not replacing my head unit since it has changer controls, but if this info helps, its out put is 40w x 4 (i think thats the peak output).

Thanks in advance.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2004
    The head unit is a poor source of power. Very little of it and its dirty.

Rear speakers are for passengers and the best sound quality will ALWAYS be achieved with front speakers only.

You wouldnt need another alternator unless you went with 1000x1 amp or something. A moderate size amp will not be too much of a drag on your stock charging system.

$400 is gonna be tough to get to cause you need some good speakers up front. If you go with unauthorized dealers you can get there but I always recommend going with authorized dealers like SoundDomain.com

This Profile amp is a very good, solid amp and even though its not fancy, is well built and works very well. Its 80x2+225x1 in 3 channel mode.

Then you get these Polk Audio DB components. They will work well off the Profile amp and for $175 are going to be the best speakers you can get for the money!

Thats $325 for a good, decent amp and a great set of speakers. Youll have 80 watts for the front which is a stout amount and 225 for the sub which will not be a glass breaker but will blend in very nicely with the speakers up front and sound good.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2004
    Thanks for the info. The thing is, I am buying the components from authorized retailers here in the Philippines...6.5" JBL GTOs cost around P3100 Php, roughly $62. That's good considering I don't have to get the parts by mail and worry about our postal service tossing them around.

The sad part is, only Blaupunkt, JBL, Infinity and Alpine have dealers in this country. Will Polk open one? I was in LA last summer and I got into Polk when i got to listen to them in my friend's Civic.

BTW, so far I've decided to just upgrade the 6.5", but depends on whether my brother can get Polk speakers by mail before he catches a plane back, he might keep those speakers for his car over there.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2004
    does www.sounddomain.com or thezeb.com or crutchfield.com sell internationally?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it