College Car Audio Club

exalted512
exalted512 Posts: 10,735
edited September 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm going to Texas A&M and noticed that there was a car audio club last summer, I emailed the guy asking about any information he had and he replied to me saying that they weren't really a club yet because they still needed a professor advisor. I'm not sure how much hes looked, but he said that he's gone around a little to try and find one with no success...most likely because of the stereo-type that some adults give kids with systems, which im sure all of you know what im talking about, in my kinesiology class we have a fairly young guy teaching it, im not completely sure if he is just a KINE major doing this class as a project, or if hes a professor, or what. It says that they have to be : 'full-time professional staff member', 'full-time university employee', or a 'faculty member, professional or associate staff member or a graduate assistant employed by the University.' I think he might fall under the last one if nothing else, but we will have to see. But anyway, if we are able to get someone to be our teacher sponsor, does anyone have any ideas of what we could do with this? Activities etc? Does anyone know of any other colleges that would have a similar club where we could get ideas from? I know some of the other organizations even have sponsors from stores/brands/etc. So if we do get started up, I'd probably go around to the local audio stores to at least 'recognize' us as a club and maybe have fliers with contact info they can keep on their front desk or something for promoting stuff...I'll be posting this on a few other forums that I go to so if you see it again...youll know its me
thanks for any advice
-Cody
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
Post edited by exalted512 on

Comments

• bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited September 2004
    The easiest thing to do (since it would be such a broad range thing), would be to start up or join, if existing, the AES student chapter at aTm (www.aes.org). It should be easy to find a prof that would help out with AES since its such a widely known group in the area of acoustics. If anything you could help put a car audio spin on the meetings, or have meetings devoted to car audio stuff.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited September 2004
    Audio is audio. Whether it goes in your car, in your home or in your place of business, it's still the same stuff.

Drop the "car" from the audio club and I'll bet that you find a faculty sponsor right quick.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited September 2004
    Why not call it the audiophile club?
    Bet that'd rake in a professor...

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2004
    I tried to get that going over here -- I wanted to buy a blown up VW beatle, rebuild the vehicle, and gut the enterior and have it completely redesigned from materials, to shape, or ornientation, etc etc of every piece of anything inside the car -- the idea would be that in the end you'd have as close to a sonically perfect environment as possible, bringing in the skills of ME's, EE's, Physics and Aerospace Engineers... any luck? no.

I even had money offered and on the table with the only contingency of "we want academic backing, a safe place of storeage for the vehicle, and publicity, lots of publicity" -- but -- alaso, no academic backing.

... and vinnie's dream of the 50,000 watt SQL machine died in the water.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    I tried to get that going over here -- I wanted to buy a blown up VW beatle, rebuild the vehicle, and gut the enterior and have it completely redesigned from materials, to shape, or ornientation, etc etc of every piece of anything inside the car -- the idea would be that in the end you'd have as close to a sonically perfect environment as possible, bringing in the skills of ME's, EE's, Physics and Aerospace Engineers... any luck? no.

I even had money offered and on the table with the only contingency of "we want academic backing, a safe place of storeage for the vehicle, and publicity, lots of publicity" -- but -- alaso, no academic backing.

... and vinnie's dream of the 50,000 watt SQL machine died in the water.
    he does live...
    you forgot about my programs vince...ive been emailing but you havent been answering
    as far as the aggie car audio club goes--i posted this on fullsizechevy.com and i actually got a response from one of the other kids trying to get it started...lol
    we discussed it on AIM for a while and i think its pretty much going to be a no-go...several different reasons...but when we were trying to get it started we drew a lot of attention from different audiophiles so its just going to be more like a group of ppl who are interested in car audio rather than a school sponsored club
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2004
    Well thatll be cool too. There aint a lot of people into car audio, at least not a lot of people that want to learn what its all about. So itll be cool to have a group to hang with and exchange ideas.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited September 2004
    Me and a buddy of mine are gonna try and get something similar going at our school. He's got a more automotive background, working on SHO Taurus, where as ive got some audio background, we wanted to try and work something out, but school just started, so we'll see.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2004
    SHO Taurus... I'm not even gonna say anything about that... god I hate working for Ford.

Long live Mopar.
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    what about my programs vince?
    -Cody
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited September 2004
    I'm a mopar man too but i gotta say... the SHO is one of 2 ford cars that i have some respect for... the other is the new GT if it can keep pace with a viper it's at least worth a nod imho
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2004
    i'll burn them this week-ish... i've been so frickin busy man - hence from my absence from the forums this might be visible :(

far as the SHO(silent w) -- oy vey - no.

The GT's a nice piece of machinery - but with its price tag of 150+++ k... considering it can't blow the viper away but merely keep up with it and then its a matter of which sports car owner spent the extra 10 grand on accessories to go even faster... hell it ain't worth it.

Besides -- the viper is all motor -- the gt is not.

... just wait till the power wagon is done... b*tches.... ya'll b*tches!!!! ya -- that's it -- ya! -- er something.

i'm worried i'll blow the heads off this thing.
  • Jstas
    edited September 2004
    Uhhhh, waitaminute here.

A Ford GT is capable of out performing a Ferrari Enzo and recently, at the high speed track in Nardo, Italy, the Ford GT laid down an average speed, that's AVERAGE, not top speed, of 205 MPH.

I don't think that ANY Viper out there gets anywhere near that close. Honestly, the Viper is not in the same league. There isn't anything from the U.S. manufacturers that can come close to what the Ford GT is capable of. You have to go to the likes of Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lamborghini and so on to come anywhere close to its performance and nothing from any of those manufactures is less than 100K OVER the asking prices for a GT.

Also, just to show how far ahead of its time the GT40 was, the new GT only bested the old GT40's top speed by 2.3 MPH or so.

On top of that, who the hell cares if the Ford GT is supercharged or not. It puts up the numbers and lays down the rubber. It's king of the hill right now and there isn't much out there that can challenge it. Especially at $125-160K.

• Joelsbass
    edited September 2004
    the point that vinnie was making was that STOCK the gt and viper will run pretty much head to head (differences in the 10ths and hundredths) although the viper DEFINATELY has the gt beat in 60-0 breaking.... what he was saying was that on the street, who is faster comes down to who put in what upgrades from the stock... if you took a viper at ~ 80g and spent the price difference between the two cars on upgrades you'd have a faster car than the stock gt... at the same price the viper would outrun the gt (to a point)... i still think the viper's meaner looking though :D

• Jstas
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by Joelsbass
    the point that vinnie was making was that STOCK the gt and viper will run pretty much head to head (differences in the 10ths and hundredths) although the viper DEFINATELY has the gt beat in 60-0 breaking....

Uhh, no.

Some numbers

Ford GT
    0-60: 3.3 seconds
    0-100: 8.5 seconds
    0-150: 16.9 seconds
    70-0: 153 feet
    Lateral Acceleration: 1.02 G's
    1/4 Mile: 12.2 @121.6 MPH

Dodge Viper SRT-10
    0-60: 3.9 seconds
    0-100: 8.9 seconds
    (couldn't find 0-150 numbers for the Viper)
    70-0: 153 feet
    Lateral Acceleration: 1.01 G's
    1/4 mile: 12.2 @ 119.6

Sorry but your precious Viper is not the better performer given those numbers. Infact, they are pretty evenly matched with the definte edge to the GT. The ONLY thing the Viper bests the GT in is the 85K asking price compared to the 150K that the GT is going for.

what he was saying was that on the street, who is faster comes down to who put in what upgrades from the stock... if you took a viper at ~ 80g and spent the price difference between the two cars on upgrades you'd have a faster car than the stock gt...

Uhh, no, again.

On the street? How many Vipers and GT's do you see rolling up next to you "on the street"? Honestly, do you really think that the people who can afford vehicles like these have any desire to modify them? They are the escence of cool. They are true sports cars and the only people who modify them are those who are going racing. There is no "on the street" for these cars. Talk modifcations all you want but the extra 65K for the GT over the Viper doesn't even get you into Viper tuners doors. Hell, modifcation levels leave you no where to go but a competition level vehicle. Both of these vehicles are on the edge of "streetable" vehicles. On top of that, you are comparing apples to oranges by telling me a "modded Viper will beat a stock GT". Good one Dick Tracy, where did you park the squad car? Get real already! You are grasping at straws.

at the same price the viper would outrun the gt (to a point)... i still think the viper's meaner looking though :D

I already posted numbers. I can charge you 150K for a Viper and it still won't outrun the GT. There is alot to a car that doesn't get shown by printed numbers. EVERY magazine that has published reviews has said that the GT is a breeze to drive. EVERY magazine said the Viper is a handful and takes skill to drive hard. The GT has been described as balanced and refined while the Viper is brute force to the bone and requires it to be manhandled around a track.

If it comes down the Viper being cooler looking that is purely subjective. Honestly, the GT's shape has history. It is cooler to me because it is a design that was so far ahead of its time that even 40 years later, it's still cutting edge. It's also a symbol of what an American car company can do if they put thier effort into it. Ferrari was the goal with the GT. Ford decided not to waste time on going after the Viper. They wanted to be the best and to be the best, they had to beat the best. The best is Ferrari and boy, did they ever beat the best...again!

Like Jeremy Clarkson said "....lets go find some aristocrats and SHOUT them to death!"

• Joelsbass
    edited September 2004
    Well i guess my breaking distances are outdated now then... when the gt was first coming out i read a head to head comparision on the two in one of the reputable car mags that had the viper stopping a good deal quicker than the gt, Ford has probably upgraded their breaking system since then if they're head to head now...

PBD and i's main contention was that stock the cars are pretty evenly matched in numbers (and yes the gt does handle much easier bud damnit i like my brute power ;) ) not enough of a difference to justify the extra 65g to most... earlier you were using the gt that ford is using in races as your comparison for saying that it's better than the viper so you're just as guilty of the apples to oranges as i am. i was simply saying that with 65g to work with you could probably get the viper faster than it is stock and be just hitting the gt's sticker price. it was a dollar/ performance evaluation. nothing more... hell i like both cars but my personal preferance goes to the viper... i like it better

• Jstas
    edited September 2004
    Uh, where was I comparing GT's Ford was using to race?

Ford doesn't race GTs. Not yet at least.

If you are referring to the reference to the high speed test at Nardo, Italy...that was a production version Ford GT that ran 205 MPH, not a race car.

• Joelsbass
    edited September 2004
    realy? it was a production ford GT that outran the enzo ferrari?

in that case i'm impresed, the numbers truly don't do it justice then

• exalted512
    edited September 2004
    all im going to say...is GM needs to show em both whos boss
    unfortunately i dont ever see that happening in the next 15 years....at least
    :(
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    and pbd--i have a new address now...let me know what your email is and ill give it to you
    -Cody