new system opinions

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited September 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
hey guys what is up? I'm gonna be hooking up a new system in my car, and I'm looking for suggestions. My car has 4 x 6's in the front, and 6 x 9s in the back. Also, I was thinking that I am probably better off with some 10" subs instead of 12" subs cause I listen to mainly Metal/Hardcore and Rock, with the occasional hint of Punk and Oi. I do not overbearing bass just enough so I get a full range of sound. I want to be able to open the windows adn be able to heara the music without it distorting at higher volumes. Thanks Guys. -Polk Newbie
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited September 2004
    Before anything else, what are you looking to spend?
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2004
    I too listen to mainly metal. Mostly the late 80s and early 90s stuff such as Testament, Dream Theater and such and can tell ya you came to the right place. Polk Audio Momo series speakers are awesome for metal.

As far as system suggestions it depends on your budget but Ill give you a setup in the moderate budget league. This will be strictly a sound quality setup and not one for massive volume.

First you forget about rear speakers. They do nothing but pull the soundstage to the rear and smear detail and in metal you want as much detail as you can get. I would also go with component speakers. These use higher quality materials and have much better x-overs so youll get FAR superior SQ out of components.

So that being said, grab ya a set of these Polk Audio MMC6500 components. These are awesome speakers and can compete with offerings in the $350-450 dollar league.

Power them with this Crossfire VR404. This puts out 50x4, is very powerful and very clean. Youll power the tweeters off the front channels and the mids off the rear.

For subs, I like the single sub setup. I feel it blends a lot better for better extension rather than eye bulging decibels. For a sub Id go with this Kicker L7. This is more of an SPL sub but it kicks like a mule and will work in a small sealed box.

To power it, grab this Crossfire VR602. This monster puts out 150x2 and 600x1 and will push the L7 very well.

Crossfire amps put out drastically more power than theyre rated at. My 302 is rated at 300x1 but its certificate claims 350x1. So youll be hitting around 900+ watts total but it will be very clean, solid power and will sound very good.

As far as head units, pick whichever you think looks best and take it. Theyre all good as long as you buy Alpine, Kenwood, Eclipse or Pioneer. All are excellent.

Use good power and ground wires. Get some good 14-12 guage speaker wire. As for RCA cables, get the most expensive set you can afford. RCA cable is the only one that will be better the more you spend. Power and speaker wire are all pretty much the same.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2004
    yea...4x6s are crap...think you can modify it to fit a 5.25" or 6'5" speaker?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Systems
    edited September 2004
    I wanted to spend around $1000-1500. They make an adapter for my car that allows me to put in 5.25 speakers into my 4 x 6 spots. My friend is trying to sell me his Kicker Comp VR 12" sub, what do you guys thing of this sub? I was thinking about going for 2 tens instead of one 12, cause I was under the assumption that 12s are more for deeper bass, like rap bass? Some people were telling me that I should put components in the back of my car as well as front. Also What do you gusy think of Alpine type r equipment? Thanks for the help again.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    to me, type r components are comparable to DB components
    putting any speakers in the back will only degrade your sound quality
    thats a pretty good budget...do you need everything?...like radio, speakers, amps, subs?
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited September 2004
    I have a kenwood excelon x579(fairly new). And the reason why I asked about Alpine is because my one friend is selling his type r 5.25 component speakers, and type-s 6 x 9's. Then my other friend is selling his kicker sub (comp vr) that I was talking about. All this **** they are selling would fit in my car. But yeah I know its not POLK :( So you guys are saying i should jsut leave the 6 x 9s out totally? Thanks..
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited September 2004
    oh yeha i forgot to tell you I have a kenwood x650d amp.. http://kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productTypeId=11&sortBy=price&productId=2426

5 channels.. so i guess what i really need is a sub(s) and new interior speakers.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    all of the speakers and sub you mentioned are good...the only problem is that amp, it will probably power your components if you bridge the channels for the fronts, but its only 200 watts for a sub...it wont power that kicker well...you can use the 5 channel and just not use the 5th channel and buy a seperate sub amp
    you can always use the 5th channel and if you like it...then there you go...but if its not loud enough for you, then youll need a bigger amp
    also, youll need to find out if that sub is a 4 ohm sub
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited September 2004
    Hey guys. The Kicker sub is dual voice coil, 4 ohms each side. So I'm thinking I can wire the two coils in parallel, therefore getting 300 watts into the sub instead of 200. Cause them wired in parallel should drop the ohms to 2 ohms, which the kenwood amp can handle supposedly. My friend is also selling a Kicker amp...KX 150.2, so I was thinking about using that amp with the kenwood amp, but that doesnt like much more power then the kenwood 5th channel. Thanks.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2004
    Alpine h/u's are very good, and their V12 amps are AWESOME! Their Type R components are decent but are way to bright and thin for anything with a heavy guitar.

Kicker makes some good subs and the Comp is a very good one however I think youd like the L7 a little more.

Ill tell ya what concerns me about that Kenwood amp, its the 60 watts at 4 ohms and 80 at 2. That means its not got a lot of headroom and will be playing at its max most of the time. I really think you should look into an MTX, Kicker, Crossfire or Hifonics amp. You would be a lot happier.

Some people like music coming from behind them. Me, I wont the best sound quality and the most detail I can get so its front speakers only for me! Rear speakers are good for passengers, but we here have an old saying, "when my passengers start paying for some of the equipment, then I will worry about their soundstage!"
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited September 2004
    HMMMMMMM. You guys dont think 10s would be better then 12s for metal?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited September 2004
    depends on what subs you get; for any good quality sub, the only noticeable difference between 10s and 12s is in the extension of 12s - they hit the really low notes a little better, which can help for some metal. for less than good subs, the 10s will be faster/tighter, because the motor system of the 12 cant respond as fast (i know that's technically not correct, but it gets the point across). so, if you're going to get something like the L7, it'll be plenty fast and tight, so get the 12 for the low extension, and dual isn't what you're looking for in a sub this loud. if you like the look of two tens, by all means, go for it.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs