I'm abandoning HT

Options
dcarlson
dcarlson Posts: 1,740
edited September 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
I've finally come to terms with selling my HT stuff. I watched a few movies and music DVDs over the last week and can honestly say that for the cost of real estate in my livingroom, a dedicated HT room too far away to imagine and the quality of 2ch playback I get compared to HT... It's time to sell and upgrade my speakers for pure 2 channel usage.
SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
Post edited by dcarlson on

Comments

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited September 2004
    Options
    I've been thinking about doing the same thing. My room is really small and I just don't have the money to make my HT as good as my 2 channel. I've been meaning to watch some movies in 2.1 and see how much I like it. I'd imagine it would be plenty cool, I like HT the most for the big explosions and bass so I'd get that with a 2.1 system.

Plus if I sold my HT stuff I could get a projector to get the crap out from between my speakers! :D
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Ahhhh...more converts....VIVA 2-CHANNEL!
    (edited for poor French skills)
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dcarlson
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Hahaha. I've always been 2 channel with a bunch of extra stuff. :)

I'd love to get rid of all the crap between my fronts as well.

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2004
    Options
    I love my 2 channel since ive put one together, However theirs a reason why Ht has so many speakers... It sounds best with 5.1,6.1 or what ever... BUT i'm sure it will sound good with 2.1 of course, iTS just not called surround sound anymore.. Ive never thought of selling my HT, but i have my 2 channel to get better components for the HT :) Its just what ever your into most...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • dcarlson
    edited September 2004
    Options
    My livingroom is something like 12X18, I'd like to keep it uncluttered and don't want speakers hanging all over the place for a 6.1 setup for the odd movie that I watch. The sound quality I get in 2 channel is MUCH better than what I get from my receiver. I also think if I were to upgrade my mains, all the better because I listen to music a few hours a day and I'll get top notch sound quality for movies. I'll just be missing the thud and surround which is something I'll easily give up for quality and cleanliness. :)

In a couple of years when I can afford to build a dedicated HT room I MAY revisit HT but for me... 2 channel is king.

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited September 2004
    Options
    ...welcome back from the dark side my son. :D
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Atta boy!

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dcarlson
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Yeah, it's only taken me about a year of going back and forth to finally decide. :rolleyes:

• PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Our 50's limestone house has a 12x17 living room so 2 channel all the way. I started into 5 or 7 channel but soon found out it wasn't for us with the space limitations. Not even using a subwoofer which would probably help tremendously.

:D ..................Pat
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
  • PolknPepsi
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Our 50's limestone house has a 12x17 living room so 2 channel all the way. I started into 5 or 7 channel but soon found out it wasn't for us with the space limitations. Not even using a subwoofer which would probably help tremendously.

:D ..................Pat
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2004
    Options
    We welcome yet another to our ranks. Congrats on a wise decision. HT will still be there when you're done optimizing your 2-ch rig.

Someday I'll get back into it, but it will be based on whatever my 2-ch rig is at the time. Even then, if I don't get a perfect blend with the mains that'll be fine by me. If I spent as much time watching action movies as I do listening to LPs, or even watching Sponge Bob, I might feel different. It would also help if I could convince the wife that my speakers are small enough to use for rears and get some bigger ones for the front.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2004
    Options
    I'm an HT rock for now as I enjoy the application very much. Room limitations would limit me going to 2CH only at this point anyhow.

I love 2CH however, and would ditch HT before I would the he-man woman haters rig. Russman and I talked about this last night....why have a bunch of little things when you can have a few kick **** pieces? Rock on man! I look forward to hearing what your plans turn out to be.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dcarlson
    edited September 2004
    Options
    My plans are to sell my receiver, sub and speakers. Then get some smaller towers. I'm rediculously limited locally and shipping some moderately priced speakers scares me. I'll be in Niagara Falls this weekend and I'm hoping to hit some higher end audio shops.

Component wise, I'm good for the time being. I'll definitely keep you guys up to date.

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Well not me....I'm in for MC HT for the long haul. I may not jump to 6.1 and 7.1 (and beyond) anytime soon but I will not give up my HT SURROUND SOUND. I don't care how good your 2 channel rig is...It will never do the new movie soundtracks justice IMO. Y'all do whatever floats your boat when it comes to your HT but I'm keeping MC. I'm fortunate to have both HT and a good 2 Channel rig. If I could only have one it would be a great HT that had great 2 channel capabilities (Yes...it can definitely be done!).
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dcarlson
    edited September 2004
    Options
    I own a total of 2 movie DVD's and one of them is DD2.1. :D

• PolknPepsi
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Gosh,
    I never thought the day would come when the bookshelves in the living room have more DVD's than books! Nearby there is a Hifi shop with Martin Logan-Krell-Paradigm and plenty of Klipsch. Now if Santa is good to me this year.................!

;) .........Pat
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Silly Wabbit. HT and Trix are for.............

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,044
    edited September 2004
    Options
    This summer I built up a 2 channel rig I liked, but there was no way I was leaving HT behind...

Does anyone have another 20-30 feet of room I can borrow??
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • George Grand
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Proof is in the pudding.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,044
    edited September 2004
    Options
    hmm...

How about chocolate?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • George Grand
    edited September 2004
    Options
    A decidedly non-adult flavor.

• bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited September 2004
    Options
    There is a relatively new Dolby Virtual 2.1 surround format that gives surprisingly good surround effects with just the 2 front speakers. If anything, the location of the surround effects is more diffuse and even harder to pinpoint than if a dedicated surround speaker was doing it.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2004
    Options
    I tried that but I love 'wow' effect when it comes to HT and video games. My system is two channel 99% of the time. I listen to music a LOT more than multichannel stuff.

Maurice
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2004
    Options
    I agree.....quality over quantity.

If I want to hear **** buzzing in the background, I'll invite my sister over.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited September 2004
    Options
    :D:D:D:D:D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2004
    Options
    I'm still thinking SDA fronts with passive LSi7 surrounds. Separate surround amp, all tubes and absolutely no compromise to the front channels.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Madmax,
    Please tell me how to do that. That's similar to the little Dynaco passive surrounds unit, right? Do you think it will work well if you're sitting against the back wall? I'd like to try that with my Klipsch and LSi9. I plan to use my NAD amp for surrounds and keep using the Dyna with my Klipsch.

Maurice
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Sorry, just can't do it. I like it too much. Some films give me alot more than ambient background. I still use the SDA's for critical, but I ain't givin up the HT.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Organ, there are several ways to do it and yes, it would work great in your configuration. Do you have an extra amp to do it with or do you want to use one amp? PM me if I loose this thread and you are still interested.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D