Which way

Options
peekobi
peekobi Posts: 58
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
I'm new to all this home audio stuff (addicted too!) but currently I have (2) 12 year old Sony loudspeakers up front. (SS-U901AV's) They are big floors with 2 woofers in each each speaker. I have a 60W Yahama sub-woofer and a 27" Mitsubishi TV.

In the last 3 months I have purchased a Kenwood VR-509 Receiver, a Kenwood DV-505 DVD/CD player a Polk CS245i, and (2) Polk RT25i's. Love em!

Here's the question: Do I just buy the RT600i's for around $400 and live happily ever after, or do I go back to CC and upgrade to the CS400i and then buy theRT800i's for around $740? I'm married with 3 boys and we love watching the DVD's but the wife isn't as big a fan if you know what I mean. With the lesser system, is that all we really need, or will I wish I did the upgrade 6 months from now???
Thanks for the help. You guys are the greatest even though most of the dialog is way beyond me.
Reciever Onkyo TX-SR708

Center - polkaudio CS245I
Mains -- polkaudio RT600I's
Sides -- polkaudio RT35's
Rears -- polkaudio RT25I's
Sub ---- polkaudio PSW-350

TV: Panasonic TC-P50GT30 HDTV
Blu-Ray Player Panasonic DMP-BDT215

Common sense ain't that common!:loneranger:
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Problem is, even if you got the 800's, if you truely have 'the bug', the rest of your life is going to be filled with upgrades......

Cheers,
    Russ

Ps, if you are just about to pop your wifes 'audio cherry', get those 3 boys out of the house for a night, light some candles, open some wine, and put some of her favorite slow music on....and waltz her around the room.....

Works like a charm I tell ya, many success stories.....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Peekobi-

It's like when they asked old man Rockafeller:
    "How much money does a man need to live comfortably?"
    And his reply was:
    "A little more"

Finish your system, as is.
    Live happily everafter.
    Spend the extra cash on some good DVD's,
    and get the little lady something,
    (for putting up with our audio quests).
    And mostly enjoy,
    it's the only antidote to upgrade fever.

-luc
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    Options
    peekobi - if you think 6 months down the road you are going to be wishing you bought the 400/800 combo, even if you get the 600's now, i would just go for it and drop the $ (man, it's so easy to spend other people's $$$ :D). russman's right about the big, it will never end, but now is the time to buy the RTi's. if you wait, when you want something more, it is going to be the new RTi's, and those won't be found at discounted prices like the current RTi line now can be...

just my .02
  • peekobi
    peekobi Posts: 58
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Are the CS400i and the RT800's going to go away or will they still be around?
    I'm trying to negoiate with my local CC using the $269 price for the 400 from NameBranz but have to wait until tomorrow. If I can get them down I might get the 800/400 combo as it will only end up costing me around $240 more than the 600's. ($400/pair
    Thanks all for the input.
    Reciever Onkyo TX-SR708

Center - polkaudio CS245I
    Mains -- polkaudio RT600I's
    Sides -- polkaudio RT35's
    Rears -- polkaudio RT25I's
    Sub ---- polkaudio PSW-350

TV: Panasonic TC-P50GT30 HDTV
    Blu-Ray Player Panasonic DMP-BDT215

Common sense ain't that common!:loneranger:
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    Options
    yes, the cs400i's and the rt800i's are being discontinued. i was at CC last nite and they had the rt800's for only $279/each!!! CC won't price match, but you could try. if you have an american express BLUE card, it sounds like you can them to get you a rebate check for the difference. a couple on here have done that for the rt1000i's and got them for $600/pair. if you want the 400/800, get them now, cause they won't be around long...