battery or capacitator

yahyah
yahyah Posts: 17
edited September 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
guy i got 2 polk 500.1 running 2 DVC Bazooka subs and a c400.4 running my speakers oh and i got a few neon lights running so i was thinking it would be a good idea to invest in either an optima red or yellow top battery or a capacitator...what do you guys recomend
Post edited by yahyah on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2004
    do your lights dim? does your voltage run fine?(13.8ish)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by yahyah
    guy i got 2 polk 500.1 running 2 DVC Bazooka subs and a c400.4 running my speakers oh and i got a few neon lights running so i was thinking it would be a good idea to invest in either an optima red or yellow top battery or a capacitator...what do you guys recomend
    It's a "capacitor", not a "capacitator". Nitpicky, I know, but it'll keep people from laughing at you when you're asking for one in real life. Capacitors, although they do have their applications, generally only mask an underlying problem. A battery is a better fix, but if you're constantly drawing more current than your alternator can provide, the only real fix is a better alternator or you'll have problems down the road.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • yahyah
    edited September 2004
    yea the lights do dim when the volume is at full blast and i have an integra so how is the alternator on that thing? cody i remember you have some safe speakers in ur truck so u must have a big amp on them neways do u use ne of those 2 things
  • yahyah
    edited September 2004
    i meant do you use one of those things in the aftermarket format
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2004
    i have dual batteries and a capacitor, my voltage only drops when im at idle and i have the volume up...my lights get dim, but not when the bass hits or whatever, my voltage just slowly drops and the lights get progressively dimmer
    i need a bigger alternator but im not going to get one because...well...im cheap and ill be getting a new truck soon so i dont think it would be a wise investment
    if you just have minimal dimming, then a cap might do the trick, if your voltage just drops, and stays down, you need a better alternator
    what would i do in your case?
    1. replace the 'big 3'
    positive battery -> alternator
    negative battery -> chassis/frame
    engine block -> chassis/frame
    do it with 4awg or bigger
    this is the cheapest thing to do and it could solve your problem...it WILL help it
    if its gone, then voila...you fixed it for the price of 10 ft of 4awg
    if its not, then add a cap...dont get the real fancy ones with your voltage on top or any of that crap
    hell, mine have these little bars on top that says how much its charged...if i could go back i wouldntve gotten that...
    go to ikesound, get the cheapest 1.0 farad capacitor you can get...lightening audio comes to mind...mine are RF
    a cap is a cap
    if that doesnt solve your problem, go to Pep Boys and get an Energizer Max--mine were $90 each---theyre $80 without the side posts...get the big one...the one that has 875 CCA
    if none of those work, you need a bigger alternator
    dual batteries doesnt keep your voltage up, it keeps your voltage at 12 volts...but your electrical system works at 13.8-14.4, so that doesnt help
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2004
    get a larger alternator (150-ish amp) and a nice big battery and call it a day.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge