caraudio on water?

TrappedUnder Ice
TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
edited September 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Title says it all... just picked up a 22ft pontoon boat (ie...party boat) came stock with 4 panasonic marine speakers and a panny 103u.... upgrade time comming soon. Any reasonable suggestions. ??
Post edited by TrappedUnder Ice on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited August 2004
    Marine speakers are usually weather/water resistant. They also usually have water tight connectors (encapsulated butt connetors). The marine electronics come in plastic cases that keep water and such off of them.

Waterproof, they are not. They just make it so that if they do get splashed, it's not a big deal. Dump a bucket of water on them though and they are done for.

With that said, you can make any automotive speaker fit a marine application. You just need to make sure that the rear of the speakers are protected from moisture. There should be grilles on the current speakers that will help keep water and other nasties off of them that you can reuse.

You can do a number of things from building custom, fiberglas enclosures to getting these little dealies:

l237xt65.jpeg
    XTC Speaker Baffles

For a stereo, you can pretty much get whatever one you want. There are plenty of marine ready radios out there but boating supply stores typically carry marine installation kits which include the waterproofing plastic jackets.

If you want a subwoofer and such with external amps, you will have to take much more creative precautions due to heat and space. I think I would forgoe a sub and external amps due to environmental constraints.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,529
    edited August 2004
    Not sure if u could do this...

But the Atrium line of speakers Polk makes is outstanding! If you could use them instead of car audio speakers.... they would do a great job!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2004
    agreed...marine speakers are car audio speakers in watertight enclosures
    some even have moisture absorbing material inside
    as far as subs go...you could get some from RE
    http://www.reaudio.com/html/subs.htm
    look at the RE series...the 8s are $56 a pop(including shipping) and handle 175 watts rms each...
    and this
    little mtx amp
    just make a downfiring box and cover it in something similar to rhino liner, put the amp on the side of the box and what i did for my buddy was have 3 sides sticking out from the box with slits in it so you can slide a cover on and off...its not waterproof, but it keeps it from getting splashed on and you can remove it to adjust settings and proper cooling
    make it slide through the bottom so you have protection on the top
    id take pics, but i did it last summer and the boat is in corpus christi and im in college station...if you have no idea what im talking about let me know
    b/t the fact that its a pontoon boat and that you dont live near the coast...im guessing this is mostly a lake/river boat...so i wouldnt sweat worrying about the enviroment...no salt, for the most part, no problem
    and those arent really known for their blistering speed since most are equiped with small outboards and the fact that they flip if you do go fast, the only water you have to worry about is rain
    REs number is (702)896-4823, you have to order from them direct
    as far as speakers go...Polk Dbs all the way around...you know you want polks
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited September 2004
    WEll...water should...i say should not be too much of an issue. Boat will be 99.9% of its time on lakes..not salt. Only place really imagineable to put an amp would be near the controls... plenty of room there. I'd like to do a 5 channel.... 4 speakers and add a sub + add another marnine battery. I'm still huntin..... Atrium line would be ideal...but need flush 6.5" replacements... I'll probably use those baffles Jasta's recomended...good idea.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2004
    103U is a doofy deck, but its a durable little guy. you can beat on the damn thing all day long - leave it playing at 3/4 volume for hours on end and it still stays "clean" (for deck power) and doesn't skip, etc etc...

now that might seem stupid - "oh every radio is sposed to do that" -- but they dont -- how many 80 - 90 retail dollar cd decks will you find that will do that ? no many - if any... this one does.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited September 2004
    I want more flexability with the unit. Possible XM satelite and changer controls with 3 pre outs 4v each... Might just slap an alpine in there....

and yes the deck is goofy...I dont like the controls at all