Hd Dvd

Options
fabian1
fabian1 Posts: 218
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
There is a lot of talk about HD DVD here in Australia. Have any of you folks in the US heard or seen it yet? Regards Fabian:)
The Wonder From Downunder
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Current talk over here is D-VHS (digital vhs) and FMD (flourescent multilayer disc).

FMD has a capacity of 40 giga-bytes and uses the standard red-laser that our current dvd players use. Will we see it soon, IMO, not for another 3-5 years. Mainly because manufactures like Sony and Panasonic want to use their own systems based on blue-laser which is worse . Yet they will fight it all the way.

D-VHS will not fly, ever, in the consumer market. Who would want to return to tape based video. I doubt the studios would try and introduce a new format that will cut into the DVD format so early in the game. Yet ID4 and a few other sci-fi action films are due out within the next few months on D-VHS. Yes they will play on your current VCR, but to get the full 1080 you need to drop 1k on a new VCR. Most people do not want to drop $100 on a DVD player.

Damn, I just had a SUPER-STEIN of beer for lunch and a shot, hope this makes sense.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • fabian1
    fabian1 Posts: 218
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Thanks mate, we have had d-vhs here for the last year and a half and its bombed, i have seen it and you are right, it sucks, and so do the arrogant Sony corp always thinking they will get there own way, regards Fab:)
    The Wonder From Downunder