My vintage tuner is coming...

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,521
edited September 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
I've been trying to some how incorporate some vintage equipment into my system, as I love the Pioneer "silver series" equipment. Just bought this, this morning (TX-7500):
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited August 2004
    Sharp looking unit......hope it works out for you..........reminds
    me of the old Kenwood I once had with wood sides.

:D ...........Pat
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
  • steveinaz
    edited August 2004
    Thank you! I got it from www.soundsclassic.com $125 bucks, fully serviced, aligned, detailed with 90 day warranty.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2004
    Nice going Steve!

I too like the vintage silverfaced Pioneer tuners. check our my system showcase to see a pick of my Pioneer 9500II. :D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • steveinaz
    edited September 2004
    Awesome, what a great tuner. I miss the vintage Pioneer stuff, so I pulled the trigger on the TX-7500. I'm pretty excited, comes next Wednesday.
  • steveinaz
    edited September 2004
    ...that's right, the dreaded angry face. Within 5 minutes of power up, I've got a massive hum. Ok, I swap the ac plug around. Hummmmmm; ok, I replace the interconnect.....hummmmmm, ok; I try a 3rd interconnect......hummmmmm; ok......just to make sure it's not me, I try my cd player on the tuner input--just to make sure its not a bad input on my preamp.... no hum.

Short story--long. It's going back.

..but thats not all...

It doesn't look any where near as pretty in person as it does in the above photo. Very good condition my ****. I'm gettin' my money back on this POS, and won't be doing any further business with these folks.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2004
    Steve, if you are looking for a good vintage tuna, give me a buzz. I have great units coming in all the time, and if they need anything, I have my tech go through them, replace whats needed, and make sure the alignment is where it should be.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2004
    Got a TX-6500 II if you want something at a rock bottom price. Amber "stereo" light is inop and that's about it for discrepancies.

I don't know if I'd trust Russ.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2004
    Yeah, George is a good source to 'check out' also.

****, I hope I don't *accidentally* spill my whiskey in the AR receiver tonight....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • George Grand
    edited September 2004
    If you spilled A DROP in there your tongue would be in those air vents in a New York minute doing your best Gene Simmons. Nice try.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited September 2004
    The mental picture is more than I can take.....WAAAAAAAAAA
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• George Grand
    edited September 2004
    Oh! Like he really wouldn't be doing it Jesse?

George
  • steveinaz
    edited September 2004
    Russman, George--thanks, I'll keep it in mind. Gotta see what kind of battle I'm gonna be in for with this tuner and getting my money back.

If I can't get refunded, at least they have to fix it according to their 90 day warranty. I'll get the hum fixed and sell it in Fair/Good condition, as it should have been advertised to begin with.

Thanks again fellas
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited September 2004
    Steve - I'm sorry to hear of your problems, but ALWAYS go through the Polk Brotherhood before doing anything when it comes to vintage gear. The Crew will get you squared away.

At least it has a "warranty", so that's cool.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2004
    Hmmmmmm? wow.. sorry Steve you ran into a vintage receiver with problems and that doesn't meet your expectations.... condition wise.

It does sound like the seller wasn't honest in his pictures and/or description of this tuner.

Take Doro's advice and see what the "boys" here can hook you up with. :D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • steveinaz
    edited September 2004
    I got it from www.soundsclassic.com. The pic you see above is the tuner they sent, but the photograph is so low resolution that you can't see the major scratches and nicks the plaque the face of this thing. The panel "glass" is perfect--but the face has alot of scrapes and gouges. The top is also pretty scratched up.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited September 2004
    Steve,

I just feel like you got ripped because the product was advertised as being better than actually was, I think they should refund your dough if that is what you want. I would be happy to write an e-mail to them as a fellow polkie, I am sure others here would also, but I won't get into your love affair with them unless you say it is ok.

RT1

At least it was only 125.00
  • steveinaz
    edited September 2004
    I figured going thru a company that does restoration and repair would be accurate in their condition descriptions--thats why I didn't do the ebay thing on this item--but as you can see, like anywhere, I should have had them send me extra pictures of the item before buying.

As always, buyer beware. Thanks for the support--I'll know more after I speak to them this morning.
  • steveinaz
    edited September 2004
    Good deal--just got off the phone with Sounds Classic, the owner said "no problem, we will either repair it or refund you, whichever you prefer."

Talk about a surprise. I told them to refund me as I was more concerned about the condition of the piece then I was about the hum problem.

Cool.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2004
    So long as they do what you want without a big hassle all is good. Have you considered putting that $125 towards polks new XM tuner when it is available in a few months?
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • steveinaz
    edited September 2004
    If I go XM again, it will be in addition to an FM tuner, and it WILL be the Polk tuner, without a doubt.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited September 2004
    Good lord man.... wrap that tuner in a condom before you end up with some baby pre-amp tubes.