I hate circuit city

exalted512
exalted512 Posts: 10,735
edited September 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
but not for the usual reason...
i went there and they had the MM2104 for $40 bucks because it was an open box that had been played for a grand total of 5 minutes
well...its sitting in my room right now
damn it
lol
hmmm...i wonder if i build a box for it for the space b/t the front seat and the dash in the middle over the tranny hump and hook it up to the 350S thats powering my 4x6s that i dont ever use...
they had like 3 more new-in-box for $50...
i called my brother because he has 2 old RF 10s and if he wanted two momos for $100 but he didnt have the cash
it didnt come with the original box though...i really wish it wouldve...i mightve been able to make some money on ebay with it...hmmm
any ideas what i should do with it?
-Cody
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
Post edited by exalted512 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    Man, I wish I could stumble on a deal like that!

Id love to find a MM2104 for $50! That would be just about perfect. But the Circuit City in my town hasnt had Momo gear for a while so I doubt theres much chance.

Theres really not much you can do with that thing tho. Those two Brahmas are gonna be all the sub you need and would frankly overpower a Momo in a big way! LOL
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    any ideas on what i should do with it??
    anything aside from torching it or blowing it up goes...
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    any ideas on what i should do with it??
    -Cody
    Send it to me???
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    $45+shipping
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited August 2004
    Oh, now you want me to pay for it???
    I thought you said this:
    I was just giving you an alternative to torching it :D
    Is the 2104 the "Baby Momo"? Power handling?
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    yea...its the baby...$150 retail
    300 watts rms...my 350s is pretty much perfect for it
    http://polkaudio.com/car/specs.php?name=mm2104
    -Cody
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited August 2004
    I hate Best Buy, but that's because they can't answer my questions without lying since they don't know the answer. I wanted to get some money comparisons about digital cable and DirecTV, and two kids were making up answers or not giving answers or kept switching answers on stuff I knew the answer to (sort of a test). Part of the conversation was like this:
    "How much is it for each additional TV per month?"
    "You would have to buy an extra recevier for each TV and that would cost...."
    "Nonononono, what's the monthly fee for having more than one TV?"
    "Nothing"
    "Nothing??"
    "Yea, I'm pretty sure... oh wait, I think its something like $5"
    "Are you sure?"
    "I think its nothing"

And on and on this went.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    I was in BB looking at some computer speakers and on the shelf was a box labeled 'Pro Media Ultra' or something like that. I looked at the box and said "what is that"? "Ive never heard of Pro Media Ultra, and I usually dont like to buy from manufactuers Ive never heard of". The sales guy said, "oh theyre a high end brand or else we wouldnt carry them. In fact, these are the speakers I have and Ill only buy Pro Media Ultra from now on". So I was curious and I pulled the box out and it turns out that Pro Media Ultra is just the name of this particular series of speaker. The manufactuer was Kilpsh! This head didnt know that and was lying right to my face about owning them obviously. After I pulled the box out and showed him they were Klipsh he stood there for a few minutes and then said, "Ill be right back" and I never saw him again.

Circuit City is becoming the same way. By not paying comission anymore and hiring a bunch of 16 yr olds at $5/hr they get people that neither know or care about the products. I remember when you would get mauled as soon as you walked into a CC by salespeople. Me and my wife went to buy a DVD player for somebodys birthday a while back and I had to go hunt someone down to come and ring us up!!!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    i applied for a job at circuit city a couple days ago
    :)
    maybe i can get a discount on Polk's HT speakers and a big **** tv!
    i dunno where id put it...but yea
    and back to the original question...any ideas on what i should do with it?
    i want to port it and see how it does
    maybe ill do that...
    i think ill end up giving it to my dad...he said he wanted a small sub...it will go good with his db coaxials up front
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Youll never get on at CC. You actually know your stuff and wont respond with a blank stare when asked a question.

Well, although you might after months of having to deal with Verge and ESA amps. :rolleyes:

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    lol...when i went and bought that sub i asked where i could pick up a job application...they told me online and that they were full but they needed people at the customer service desk...so i went online and applied for that...i would just like an interview...i can work almost anywhere in the store...i know enough about the entire store...i would really like to get hired as an installer so i can learn more about a wide range of vehicles...my experience now is mostly in 94+ GM trucks and a few of my friends cars and trucks
    but thats pretty much limited to the radio...
    -Cody
  • bagedgttib
    bagedgttib Posts: 3
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Youll never get on at CC. You actually know your stuff and wont respond with a blank stare when asked a question.

Well, although you might after months of having to deal with Verge and ESA amps. :rolleyes:

we started to sell the esa and verge junk since most of the people we deal w/ complain when they are looking at a $500 bill for half decent equipment. cant speak for all locations but depending on the time u come in we are running on skeleton crew. most of the people who work for us come in w/ minimal knowledge but it does take time for them to learn everything about 100 different products... and we all wish we would go back to commision but.....
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    well then maybe they should hire someone like...ooo i dunno...me?
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by bagedgttib
    we started to sell the esa and verge junk since most of the people we deal w/ complain when they are looking at a $500 bill for half decent equipment. cant speak for all locations but depending on the time u come in we are running on skeleton crew. most of the people who work for us come in w/ minimal knowledge but it does take time for them to learn everything about 100 different products... and we all wish we would go back to commision but.....

I disagree with that. Yeah , CC had $400 Alpine and MTX amps, but they also had $150 Profile and Alpine V Power amps. They had $300 Momo speakers and $100 Sony speakers. If somone didnt want to spend $400 for an amp they could get a decent Profile model for $150 or so. Now all they have is low ball stuff. The MTX MXA amps are decent and the Alpine V Power amps rule for the money but thats it. And no matter where you go, a 4 channel Alpine V12 will always cost around $400. Its a high end amp, what do you expect?

Apparantly CC saw that Best Buy was hiring a bunch of 12 year olds that didnt know squat and didnt care and said "well hell. All this time weve been paying more and having employees that know their product and we couldve been saving much more money by hiring McDonalds rejects".

However that isnt the problem I have with CC. I can do my own research and find the info on which is a better product myself. The problem I have with them is they got rid of all their high end stuff and went with the Wal-Mart league gear.

• bagedgttib
    edited September 2004
    we dont like selling low end equipment as much as u like see it. in my market area our biggest competitor isnt even BB. its all the mom and pop shops, people come in wanting amp/subs/box/install for no more then $200, then walk or complain cuz we wont do it that cheap. then say" well homeboy down the road said he'd give me this for 200 installed" and they dont care about warrenty its all about spending as little as possible. we wish we could cary more high end stuff but 75% of our customers dont want it, and when they come in they intend on getting the $99 free install radio, complain about parts, and turn down the $20 warrenty.
  • unrealii
    unrealii Posts: 268
    edited September 2004

well...its sitting in my room right now
    damn it
    lol
    HAHA, I hate good guys for the same reason. I ended up buying a home theater speakerset a month ago. Then 2 days ago I bought a 5 disc dvd changer to go along with the speakers. I need to start avoiding that table which has all the open box stuff:o
    LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
    Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
    Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    open box kicks ****!:D
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by bagedgttib
    we dont like selling low end equipment as much as u like see it. in my market area our biggest competitor isnt even BB. its all the mom and pop shops, people come in wanting amp/subs/box/install for no more then $200, then walk or complain cuz we wont do it that cheap. then say" well homeboy down the road said he'd give me this for 200 installed" and they dont care about warrenty its all about spending as little as possible. we wish we could cary more high end stuff but 75% of our customers dont want it, and when they come in they intend on getting the $99 free install radio, complain about parts, and turn down the $20 warrenty.

I get what youre saying and Im not suggesting that CC should carry only MB Quart and Tru Tech gear. Whats wrong with the way they were doing it. You could get high end stuff like MTX Thunder or Alpine V12 amps or you could get Kenwood and Profile amps. CC used to have a little something for everybody.

So they dont have to carry ONLY high end gear but at least have some on hand so when guys like me want a set of Momo speakers or a V12 amp, I can look you up.

• bagedgttib
    edited September 2004
    trust me we wish would have more high end instock, but they seem to keep us stocked with mid to low items the most. and still get on our case when thats all we sell cuz we have to special order anything worth selling.
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by Zero
    nice score... applying for CC... good luck. If you give a damn about your products, your honor and ethics - you will refuse their employment. What a HORRIBLE company to work for.
    im a poor college student...ive been here 2 weeks and im already down to $40...
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    lol...i dont even think ill be working in the car audio part...i mean i probably know more than all of em, but they said they had openings in the customer service part of the store--they havent called me or emailed me so i doubt if i got anything
    -Cody
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited September 2004
    What's crappy about trying to get on at a store when you apply online is you can't submit a Resume`. So they are basically taking shots in the dark at getting interviews. Those questionaires they make you fill out online are pretty stupid and way too time consuming for my liking.
    -adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    I dont mind working hard...ive had jobs that were more grueling than anything like customer service...im just afraid someone is going to piss me off b/c i can have a very short temper with people i feel are dumbasses...which im sure ill be dealing a lot with...
    but most of the people in the customer service area were college students...pretty much everyone that has a job in this town is a college student...
    im not really trying that hard to find a job...in fact, CC is the only place ive applied...i just thought it might be fun to work in an electronics store
    -Cody
  • swerve
    edited September 2004
    lol I applied not for installation but to work in the mobile audio department and they called today and want to schedule an interview. The cc here is always dead so Im thinking about pursuing the opportunity. yay for discounts! :D
    -adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    ****...lol
    -Cody
  • swerve
    edited September 2004
    your talk of the application even influenced me to apply for like the fifth time... they wanted an interview w/ me today but i've been sick. I assume they are really needing help so I'm going to get a job. Yay for me...
    but what the hell does circuit city have that I would buy?
    -adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    polk home speakers:D and a big **** plasma tv
    -Cody
  • swerve
    edited September 2004
    polk home speakers:D and a big **** plasma tv
    -Cody
    plasma tv? my step dad might invade my room then and we don't want 50 year old men hanging around in their underwear. :mad: :mad:
    i'm so pumped for tuesday.. screw the weekend
    -adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    tuesday is your interview i guess?
    -Cody
  • swerve
    edited September 2004
    yea, should be good since i have extravagent people skills and can really sucker people in! lol... I just got home and barely made it.... my car was studdering and right at my street my power steering went out and no warning lights came on.... $%*% I'm so upset I've had a terrible week....
    -adam
    cats.vans.bag...