mm465 questions/problems

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited February 2002 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey guys/gals,

I recently purchase the momo 465's to fit into my 2000 lightning. I modified the door to accept the drivers (very big suckers) and placed the tweeter in teh same area, and constructed a plate to cover the original 5.7 hole.

I run an alpine 7875, with a precision power a200 (50x2 rms) on them. On many songs that have alot of midrange frequencys the tweeter is distoring. I have found several bands at mid levels will cause problems. Any strong guitar will make the tweeter break up. Also U2 sounds HIDIOUS on them. any chrords on a piano also make it distort.

Gains are set about 1/3 up, deck at around 20.

Now here are my questions:

What could be causing this? I left the xover in its factory preset mode, with tweeter at its 0, and the filter turned on for the midbass. I have them crossed over at 80 hz, and have even tried 120, which hasn't made any differance. The only way i found to cure the problem was to take out a TON out of it at 160hz.

Do I have a bad set? What is teh break in on these drivers and would that impact this? I used 16 gauge wire to the speakers which should be plenty.

Any suggestions?
Brandon Wolf
Circuit City Roadshop 0130
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jdog1
    jdog1 Posts: 15
    edited February 2002
    I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW YOU GOT THE SPEAKER WIRE THREW THE DOORS TO THE SPEAKERS????

I;M THINKUING THEY ARE BAD ""LOOK AT MY POST"""
    MINE SOUND SWEET

MINE ARE IN THE SAME SPOT
  • BrandonW
    BrandonW Posts: 57
    edited February 2002
    its CAKE to get them through the door jambs on f150's. Took make 5 mins for both doors? pull kick panels, go to sears and get a 'grabber' basically a coiled up stick with a claw inside. Depress the top button and the claw comes out, so you slide it through the jamb, press claw, put wire in, pull back through. cake..cake..cake...

Hopefully someone from polk will give me some ideas on why mine don't sound very good.

What kinda volumes you running yours at??

Brandon
  • BrandonW
    BrandonW Posts: 57
    edited February 2002
    I tinned the leads with solder and put them under the screw terminals. I doubt this is the cause though...

Yes I have played one at a time, and problem still exists. I have tried 3 differant amplifiers, an a200, a300.2, and my a404.2, as i believed i may be running out of power. none of the above helped.

Any other ideas? Do your polk reps every come to lexington, ky?

I will rerun teh wires through the door and to the speakers and see if the problem remains, but i don't think this is going to help.

Thanks in advance
    Brandon