triway?

neomagus00
neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
edited August 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
okay, semi-theoretical question here; btw, it's on the 2-channel home side if anyone here browses there too, but i figured car people might have something to say too :)

let me get my definitions right first: triway amping is where you use two two channels to power two speakers AND a sub, right? if so, how does one do this, and if not, how does one do this anyways? obviously, i want to include a crossover network in here somewhere... thanx for any input...
It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
Post edited by neomagus00 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2004
    just split one channel for the speakers and leave the other one for the sub??
    is that what you mean?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2004
    no, cause then you lose stereo... triway (at least in the definition i know of) keeps stereo and diverts some of the power to a sub...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2004
    ooh! i just had an idea - which is why this is a double post, cause i'm so eager to share :rolleyes:. maybe run the stereo speakers completely normally AND bridge the outputs to a sub... this means that (if i do my math right) the amp sees a 4 ohm load on each channel (each driver involved is 8-ohm), and i can use crossovers on each speaker... does this sound right? especially the part about the ohm ratings?

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    like this??
    531337_59_full.jpg
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2004
    yeah... you think it'd work? because another thought has occurred to me... i could run a DVC sub, with one speaker and one sub coil in series (assuming a low impedance for each coil, otherwise parallel) from each channel... but then i don't get to xover the mains...

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    draw it on paint...i dont understand...
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2004
    this...

oh, and i found a way to xover speakers in series... so this is sounding like a good option...

now would also be a good time to ask where i can get decent drivers

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    ummm...are you sure you can do that in series??
    im not sure if you can or not...
    in theory yes, but since their in series i think the drivers might be working against each other...
    i dunno...but you might want to look into that
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited August 2004
    Umm...to run an amp in tri-way mode you will need a seperate crossover like the one you can get from PAC. Crutchfield has them for like 100 bucks. They don't support a whole lot of power either.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2004
    unfortunately, there's two problems with that... first, it requires all speakers to have a four ohm nominal impedance... the two mains are 8 ohm and the sub is up in the air... second, i lose stereo capability with this... is there no way to do this?

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    you do lose stereo??
    i wonder why it would have to be 4 ohms...i dont see why 8 ohms would hurt it...
    id call crutchfield and make sure before i count it out
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    I dont see how impedance would matter either. Why would your speakers be 8 ohms anyways?

Triway wiring is what Cody drew. Left and right to speakers and then a sub running mono off the left and right.

Not all amps are triway capable. This puts a greater load on them than the standard 2 ohm stereo and not all are made for this so you can just hook up any old 2 channel amp in triway.

If you are wanting to wire up a DVC sub this way its still the same as if youre wanting to get a 4 ohm mono load with a 2 channel. Youll have to either get a dual 8 ohm sub and wire it in paralell or get a dual 2 ohm sub and wire it in series.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2004
    okay, so cody drew a triway system? cause if that works, then i'm good... see, the speakers in question are home audio speakers (dorm setup, so it's limited in space and money), which is why they're 8 ohm, but the amp is quite capable and it will handle four ohms with no issue at all.

cody - the triway adapter pictured on crutchfield's site appears to take a bridged output and then split it amongst three drivers, in the process removing any stereo effects... and the attached speakers have to be four ohm because the crossover inside depends upon those specific resistances to function properly

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    im using my aiwa book shelf system
    it has surround sound with a sub i added and is hooked up to the xbox/dvd player...im not sure how to hook it up to play the tv shows...any thoughts?
    i dunno if i can or if its as simple as switching the rcas on the back of the tv...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    If the speakers are 8 ohm then it works to your advantage cause you can use twice as many of them and still have a 4 ohm load!

4, 8 ohm speakers wired in paralell (to a 2 channel amp) presents a 4 ohm load to the amp. And thats the extent of my ability to understand impedance. You start getting into 4 DVC 2 ohm subs wired in series or other crap like that and my brain locks up and I wet myself and forget who I am for about a half an hour! :D
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    if all the speakers are 8 ohms in the pic i drew...the load to each channel will be 4 ohms
    i was just telling mac on another thread that the RE re8 is only 56 bucks and it can be wired to 8 ohms
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2004
    yeah, on codys pic each channel sees 4 ohms, agreed... so now that i've looked more closely at that triway thingy, it connects the speakers in exactly the same way as you drew... i'd assume the box is just a crossover network, then, because it doesnt seem to be good for anything else...

where do you get the re from at that price? cause it seems to be right about what i'm looking for...

macdaddy - 2 8-ohm speakers in parallel are a 4-ohm load... if you meant 2 on each channel, then i get you :) and please don't wet yourself, it makes you stinky...

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    i just found out today....i emailed RE today...ill tell you when i get an answer
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2004
    cool, thanx

• MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    macdaddy - 2 8-ohm speakers in parallel are a 4-ohm load... if you meant 2 on each channel, then i get you :) and please don't wet yourself, it makes you stinky...

Yup. 4 total 8-ohm speakers, 2 to a channel and wired in parallel makes a 4 ohms stereo load.