Halo - Surround Sound!

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,089
edited May 2006 in Video Games
Yo Folks!

Although I am limited to only pro logic right now, I just got through playing Halo in surround sound!

Now my surrounds are the BP6B, for those who don't know what they are, they have dual 5.25" midbasses, rated to 25hz (yeah right), but anyway they put out tremendous amounts of bass between 80hz and 50hz, and this is VERY nice during surround applications.

Anyway, back on subject!

I just got through playing Halo and I believe in the second to last level or last level when the ship is in the bay, my futon was literally MOVING man. I had aliens jumping over my head and intense music. I have been playing Halo for about 2 or 3 months (probally 2 weeks all together) but over a span of 2 or 3 months, and this is the MOST intense it has been yet. The sound is just outside this world, especially in the bass.

What fun!

- Trey
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Agreed. I have also played the game a fair amount through my headphones. They provide for nice, close listening, great for picking up details. The sound quality is really superb for a video game.
  • landry_p2000
    landry_p2000 Posts: 1,313
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I am buying an XBOX as soon as I get off from work today. I am hooking it up on my HDTV and Polk/Onkyo system with the optical adapter. I should get the same enjoyment as you guys. This is my first time ever playing Xbox. I purchased the games NFL 2K5 and Halo Monday to get in on the C.C. sale. I am really ready to play after reading this thread!:cool: I hope the XBOX is as great as everyone claims. I have owned a PS2 since they came out and I grew bored with it. Hopefully this will bring me back to life. I spent more time on the Gameboy SP than I did on the PS2. I got rid of the PS2 with 13 games, 2 sticks, vertical stand, and 2 memory cards last month.:rolleyes:
    Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Landry, make sure to go into the Xbox set up and let it know you have a 16x9 TV.

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • landry_p2000
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Will do PT. It is like the PS2 in the set up menu. You have to set it to dolby digital. Hey guys, is it true that you can damage your HD projection TV with a video game console?
    Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I agree. HALO have excellent sound especially the 4.1 DD. Best sounding game for me so far. But I think most of the bass you heard was coming from the mains. The surrounds in Pro-Logic is limited to 80hz-2000hz.

Maurice
  • shiznit311
    shiznit311 Posts: 95
    edited August 2004
    Options
    If you have your TV set up with a demo disc you'll be fine. Just don't pause it for an extended time.

I guess you may damage it if your TV is set up like most at the stores, with the brightness and all that through the roof.
  • VR3
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I'm not sure on the frequencies my surrounds play.

Although my NAD has no internal crossover what so ever. It has a crossover, but is only 120-60-FULL...

So I just run mine with speaker wire and run everything on large.

The BP6B, with the transmission line literally 1 inch away from a wall puts out so much bass that it isnt funny. I was playing them alone, no sub, no mains -- but them playing the main signal and it was just amazing what 2 5.25" midbasses can put out. They might not have done ALL the shaking, but being right beside me on each side - they did their share, I would think. They definetely added to it...hehe, I think I like having towers as surrounds. Makes things more interesting...

All things aside, my room was falling apart ALOT more than it has been, in movies and in games. I love it! Not very nice to listen to music like that, very bass heavy...

Halo though, has excellent SQ all around - hands down. Down right awesome!

I'm on the last stretch now, where you go in the Warthog and do all the jumps and stuff, cant wait to finally beat the game. I lost interest there for a bit as I have been playing Halo itself at friends houses for like 2 years, so it wasnt as fun as it should be. Just trying to go through it, learn the story before Halo 2 comes out!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Halo is a very rewarding game. I still enjoy playing it once in a while. The last stage was pretty tough for me because that Warthog is a **** to control. Just go as fast as you can before time runs out.

After you beat the game, re-do the last stage on 'Legendary' for an extra scene in the ending. Pretty funny stuff.

Maurice
  • VR3
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Yeah the last level on the Warthog is difficult -- I was going as fast as I could, but then the lanes switched from the middle to the left and at the end of that run my warthog rolled and I lasted about 2 seconds outside of the warthog since I had to get back in...hmmm

Warthogs are easy to drive if you play alot of multiplayer capture the flag. I am usually the driver, with the flagman riding along and a dude on the back shooting - now THAT is fun stuff! We usually have about 16 players playing. Capture the flag and rocket launcher frag matches, those are the best -- you last about 2 seconds per death...hahhaa
  • landry_p2000
    edited August 2004
    Options
    WELL GUYS, I GOT THE XBOX AND THE DOLBY DIGITAL HOOK-UP KIT. I MUST SAY THAT IT WAS A BREATH-TAKING THRILL RIDE FOR ME! THIS GAME IS VERY ADDICTIVE AND MAY CAUSE YOU TO SPEND HOURS AND HOURS OF GAMING WITHOUT REALIZING IT. I PLAYED FOR SIX HOURS LAST NIGHT, AND FOUR HOURS SATURDAY EVENING UNTIL THE OLD LADY WANTED TO WATCH A MOVIE. I AM HOOKED AND I THANK YOU GUYS ON THE POLK FORUM FOR IT! XBOX IS DA KING!:D

• VR3
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Around here we have Halo parties...

Where someone gets 4 tvs together, and people bring 4 xboxes, and we take a router and hook em all up!

So in the end we have 16 players playing at one time!!!!

Man that is FUN, rocket launcher frag matches with 16 people in a small place, guts fly dude, LOTS OF FUN.

Capture the flag with the warthogs is awesome as well...

You gotta get all ur friends to get a xbox and then get a router!
  • Hoggy1015
    Hoggy1015 Posts: 6
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I used to play Halo thru my Polk Ds7200 it sounds awesome, easier to hear people trying to sneak up on ya =)
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Hoggy1015 wrote:
    I used to play Halo thru my Polk Ds7200 it sounds awesome, easier to hear people trying to sneak up on ya =)

wow, this thread is two years old, talking about digging up an old thread.

And yes, halo and halo 2 sounds great in dolby digital. But a couple months ago, I got brothers in arms for 8 bucks, and I have to say, its one of the most realistic video games I have heard (excluding new generation systems)
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I am buying an XBOX as soon as I get off from work today. I am hooking it up on my HDTV and Polk/Onkyo system with the optical adapter. I should get the same enjoyment as you guys. This is my first time ever playing Xbox. I purchased the games NFL 2K5 and Halo Monday to get in on the C.C. sale. I am really ready to play after reading this thread!:cool: I hope the XBOX is as great as everyone claims. I have owned a PS2 since they came out and I grew bored with it. Hopefully this will bring me back to life. I spent more time on the Gameboy SP than I did on the PS2. I got rid of the PS2 with 13 games, 2 sticks, vertical stand, and 2 memory cards last month.:rolleyes:
    Landry I figured I would answer your question here as I can't send PMs at the moment because I am such a polk forum noob. :p Anyway I have had my display for about 6 months now and it gets a LOT of use. My roommate is watching TV all the time as well as playing 360 on it. I have also spent countless hours playing 360 and Guitar Hero for PS2 on it with no burn-in whatsoever. LCoS displays as well as DLPs do not suffer from burn-in. As far as the lamp life it has been great. My display is on for most of the day as my roommate and I have different schedules so very rarely is the TV off. I noticed that it is a little dimmer than usual but still about 2x as bright as our RPCRT (which does have the Halo 2 HUD burn-in). I would not worry about lamp life because you can find replacements lamps for around $150 if you shop around.
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection