91 Pontiac Sunbird.

CPHILHOWER
CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
edited August 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey all. My Mother has a 91 Sunbird with the factory radio. Car has been sitting in the Garage for several years. Only has 60k. If anyone can remember the Factory radio is a 3 piece design. Display, Seperate Tape deck, And the Amplifier/Tuner assembly. Today I went to drive her car. The radio wasnt playing. Even with a Tape. When I turned the radio up to Full, I could barely hear Cracking out of the 4 speakers. I think the Amplifier/Tuner assembly went bad. Took about an 1hr to remove it. Heres the problem, Does anyone know where I can get a Replacement? I tried the Dealer. Part is Discontinued. Maybe I can get it Fixed?

Thanks.
Chris
Post edited by CPHILHOWER on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2004
    ebay
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited August 2004
    I already checked Ebay. Only found a couple of Displays. I would like a New or Rebuilt. Not another problem unit. I will buy a Used one. Only if I knew it worked properly.

BTW: This car is a Convertible. Blue body, White top, Grey cloth interior. Has a 3.1 V6 with 5 spd. If anyone is curious.

Chris
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    Cant you just buy an aftermarket head unit? I know a lot of GM cars are really hard to put aftermarket head units into but there may be something that can be worked out. It may be a lot easier and cheaper.

Another option would be try a junkyard. You may get lucky and stumble on one.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited August 2004
    Well, I just tried my "Usual" place. They wont touch it because its a Delco. If I do get an Aftermarket unit, I am going to get it from Crutchfield. This way I know I get the Right Kits that I would need.
    I'll have to talk to my Mother and see what she wants to do.
    Thanks
    Chris
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited August 2004
    if you get an aftermarket HU i reccomend Pioneer... Alpine is good too but my preferance from personal experience is pioneer
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    i have a delco...all i needed was the metra adapter and a FM antenna adapter...both run around 10-15 bucks
    -Cody
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited August 2004
    If it was up to me, I would go with a Pioneer 2600. But I do belive she wants to keep it "Stock". Unfortunately, That appears to be very difficult. I'll talk to her tomorrow. She has 3 choices.
    1: Try to get H&R to repair the unit
    2: Try to get one from a junkyard
    or
    3: Replace the unit completely.
    The problem with #3 is that she would still have the Display panel or a Big blank.

Chris
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    you can get little pockets to fill the gaps
    -Cody
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited August 2004
    I just called H&R today. They handle GM warranty repairs. Explained the problem. They said it would be about $85 for the repair. Just need to send it to them.
    Chris
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited August 2004
    One of the guys on Ebay I contacted will Sell me the unit I need. Asking price $50. But it may have the same problem as my Mothers did. Because of the age.
    Chris
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2004
    yeah, they're actually kinda useful too... if it's a really really big opening, you can get a double-din reciever, and you can get a pretty stock look with a double-din, way more so than most single-din units...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs