Record cleaning fluid

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
edited September 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Hello,
I've come up with a pretty thorough record cleaning liquid for LPs. There's no alcohol and it gets rid of any dust, dirt and finger prints, I've seen. I'd be happy to send anyone a sample, if they would want to try it. You would need a good application brush, I recommend the one sold by The Disc Doctor or the application brushes sold by the Last Company. Also, you would need to either vacuum the record with a good record cleaning machine or rinse it with distilled water. If you're interest let me know at kswauger@polkaudio.com.
Ken
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Hmmmmm.....got a name for it yet? Maybe, "Ken's Juice"
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I would take you up on it but last time I ordered cleaner I ordered too much and am trying to use it up before it goes bad. I've heard stories about your turntable and some "air" setup you have. Sure would like to see some pics...
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited August 2004
    Options
    How about the "Swauger Scum Swiper"...

You know, have wipes soaked in the stuff like baby wipes. I have some great marketing ideas, call me. :D
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Hey Max,
    How've you been? Fine I hope. Well, let me know if you run out of fluid, the offer's open. Ah, the turntable grande. It's kind of a poor man's Walker Proscenium. I was lucky enough to buy it from a Greek chef who was trying to move his family back to the old country. It's a Maplenoll Adriane Signature and probably weighs over 125 lbs. The platter is made of solid lead and weighs around 60 lbs and is very acoustically dead. The tone arm is a straight line tracking type that uses an air bearing system. The base of the table is made from 3" or 4" thick Corian with a lead sandwich layer. In the basement, directly below the table, is an air compressor with a 12 gallon air tank. There's a plastic hose that goes up through the floor and provides the lift for the platter and air for the arm. I've added Schraeder Bellows air regulator, air filter and oil filter to keep the air flow clean and even. The table sits on a component rack that can support 2,000 lbs. I built it from a Bosch do-it-yourself structure system made from aluminum frames. The shelving are made from carbon fiber sheets layered over very dense foam. I have the shelves supported at the corners of the frame, using Tip Toes cones. The top shelf I bonded two steel rails underneath to add strength. It took over a year to assemble the framing and shelves and save up the money to pay for them. The original plan was to put the turntable on the top shelf only supported by the four cones. I also have a Crown CX824 on this shelf, the maker of the shelves said they could support 600 lbs without braking. But the shelf bowed about a 1/2" and since my pre-amp was underneath it I was worried about coming home from work and finding a 100 lb turntable sitting on top of my pre-amp. So, I used two steel 1" square pieces on the top of the frame, put a laminated steel plate from Verion turntable suspension that I've had for years then put the turntable on top of it.
    I have floor jacks in the basement, one is directly underneath one of the legs of the rack. The other supports the record cabinet that's on the same wall. The floor was starting to sag a little bit. I use a turntable power supply on the Maplenoll it was running a little slow, so this lets me increase the rotation speed. Fortunately I have an Ortofon turntable test "computer". This uses a special LP to measure speed, frequency response channel separation. Ortofon used them to check each cartridge they make, it was also sold to stores to do turntable clinics.
    It took me a long time to get the table working properly, it is definately been a labor of love. I ruined three phono cartridges before I learned how to deal with it. But I was listening to it last night and it sounded pretty amazing.
    My wife has the digital camera, I'll ask her to take a few shots.
    Take care, Ken
  • madmax
    edited August 2004
    Options
    That sounds awesome! OK, now you must post some pics. Not doing so is NOT an option!
    madmax

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Hello,
    Here's a photo of the turntable with the pre-amp underneath.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Hello,
    Here's one of the Crown deck:
  • F1nut
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Looks great Ken!!!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2004
    Options
    VERY cool......

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Here's a side shot of the table:
  • madmax
    edited August 2004
    Options
    That is really cool! I see there is some electronic voodoo going on below the preamp too. I'd really like to see a downward shot of the turntable if you get a chance.
    madmax

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Very nice piece of gear Ken. I vote for "Pimp Juice".
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Jed Leland
    Jed Leland Posts: 183
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Hello,

Here is another photo of the turn table.
  • Jed Leland
    edited September 2004
    Options
  • Jed Leland
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Here's the classical records.
  • Jed Leland
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Here's the jazz records.
  • Jed Leland
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Here's the rock records.
  • Jed Leland
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Here's the misc. with our dog, Lucy. (aka "goose", "goober", "miss goobs")
  • Jed Leland
    edited September 2004
    Options
  • Jed Leland
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Here's the system looking from the listening position.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Someone has taken over Ken's house.......Jed, get outta there now!

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Lemme tell ya lil story bouta man named Jed, audio engineer, barely kept the family fed, then one day he was shootin at some food and up from the ground came some bublin crude. Vinyl that is. Black gold... Texas tea...

Great system! Talk about a vinyl lover!

madmax

• Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Ken, you're my new hero. Wow... f***ing wow!
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Jed Leland
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Here is a photo from the listening positon. I believe it's important to have the equipment "dissapear" in order to be able to concentrate on what you're hearing. The shaggy thing hanging on the wall is kind of a wall tapistry to provide the necessary rear wall sound absorbing necessary for di-polar speakers. And its pretty visually abstract to help your mind wander into the music. The musicans seem to appear between the speakers, I even try and imagine what the recording studio or livbe venue must have looked like during the recording (a nice glass of wine or Irish whiskey helps, doesn't it?). The objects, in the corner, are home made (my wife covered them with hand made paper, very nice looking) "tube traps" to control bass detail and clarity. The lights are from Ikea (so is the wall hanging) placed behind the speakers, here again to focus your attention behind the speakers working to create an imaginary stage in your mind.
  • Jed Leland
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Here's a photo of the Janis W1 sub-woofer. A good friend, of mine, is a classical instrument maker. He's made double harps that are highly praised around the world. He was super kind and gave the old Janis a French polish finish, using hand application that takes amazing skill. It really helps bring out the Brazilian rosewood grain.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the pictures Ken/Jed. The listening room looks like a really relaxing place. Do you have the original Martin Logan CLS speakers, or do they have upgrades that came along later? I've been impressed with current Martin Logan products, but from everything I read the new speakers don't compete well overall with the previous wide panel versions.

I wouldn't have known the subwoofer was one unless you pointed it out. You're friend is indeed very talented.
  • Jed Leland
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Hello,
    You're welcome. I've been having fun with my wife's digital camera, she's been helping me post the images. The area is very comfortable, I like to listen to music while I read. I've become interested in learning to play chess, so I'm reading books on chess while using a magnetic chess board to follow the lessons. I find Russian music helps concentration (just kidding).
    The M-L are an early version full range, the CSL II, I've added the auto on/off circuit to prevent attracting dust, and replaced the binding posts with ones from Cardas. Plus I keep big plastic bags over them to eliminate dust. What can happen is that if dust accumulates on the diaphram, it can become conductive, during high humidity and reduce the electrostatic field.
    Thanks for the comments on the Janis, I've had it for well over 20 years and never been dissapointed. I like it's low coloration and musical quality. It has very good bass definition. A while ago I tried "bi-tubing" the turntable, adding a second air supply for the platter. So, I bought a good quality air pump from a fresh water aquarium shop. The problem was that the air was being very slowly pulsed by the pump feeding the turntable platter. After a few days of hearing this sub-audible, very low level thumping, I realized it was the sound of the pulsed air hitting the underside of the 65 lb platter. I couldn't put my finger on it, but there was something pulsing. I don't know how many readers
    listen to the early London/Decca recordings, but they are well known for the rumbling of the subway going under the recording venue, Kingsway Hall, I think. In any event, the Janis is able to play these extremely low frequencies.
    I can take more photos, if anybody's interested? Anyone like old open reel tape decks? Chess? Cute dog shots? Have shutter, will click!,
  • madmax
    edited September 2004
    Options
    I think the more shots the better. Why not try doing a system showcase. I'm sure many of us are interested in seeing so keep clicking. Start doubling or trippling the size though. Use up polks bandwidth like the rest of us. :D

Thanks for posting the pics. I've never seen some of that stuff before. Very classy setup!

madmax

• dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Beautiful.

Nice collection you've got there. Jed. ;);)
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Keep 'em coming Ken.....all I can say is WOW...

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut