Njoe Tjoeb CDP w/upsampler

Options
ezc
ezc Posts: 426
edited August 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Recently purchased the upsampler for my tjoeb. After listening to the tjoeb w/ the upgraded opamps opa626 bb, shoes, & upgraded pc for about 4 mo I knew the sound of my system & thaught it would be hard get it to sond any better, without major upgrades. Inastalled the upsampler & let it run for a couple of days. I got to listen last night & wow I should have purchased the upsampler right from the start! The difference isnt small like I thaught it would have been it was a BIG improvement. As soon as i sat down & started listening I knew it was better. This wasnt a upgrade that I had to listen for any difference, the difference was there right from the start! Much more detail, more layers & just more information. Lows are deeper,solid & tight. Did a/b testing agenst my moded tosh 3950, Both players sounded very very close before the upsampler. Playing the same cd's & switching between both players the Tjoebs sound is much fuller! The tosh is using sigma ic & the tjoeb using diy ic & still sounded better. Probable the best $350 I spent on a upgrade! My tosh sounds real good & probable sounds better than many other cdp's but the tjoeb w/upsampler is one better.
Post edited by ezc on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Good to read another positive review of the Ah!

Upsampling with tubes is where it's at for CD playback. My big rig SACD/CD player uses them and on a real good redbook CD it can almost equal the average SACD, of course a good SACD is out of this world.

I want to get the Ah! for my shop rig, but can't decide if I want to buy it new or used. I understand that Kevin won't sell you any of his special stash of tubes, like the Siemens, if you don't buy the player from him.

What tubes are you using? Did you buy it new from Kevin?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ezc
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I got my player, shoes, opamps, & now the upsampler new from kevin. I changed tubes from the stock to EH with the gold pins. Much improvement! I since have removed the dampeners from the tubes & that gave me more top end. I have been told by Kevin that he wont sell the stash tubes to anyone that donst buy the player from him, but he will sell normal stock to anyone. Only other upgrade was to install a Kimber PK10 PC into the player. The player wont take a 10awg cable so some trimming is necessary to fit in the connector. The top & sides have been dampened, & I recently added in a led light letting me know when the tubes are on (standby). The player has a standby which leaves the tubes powered, but there is no indication if the tubes are on. After a few beers it makes it easier to know if the player shut off or if it is in standby mode. Only way to surly know is you need to the switch click open than the player is off, if it dosnt click its in stand by. Im very happy with the player now with the led & upsampler! I should have purchased the upsampler the first time around! Well at least I know what kind iof diffrence it made!!! I purchased my tubes from locally from a member in out HT club who specializes in 2ch. paid $25 for the set
  • F1nut
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Interesting that you installed a different power cord. I thought the Ah! upgrade cord was suppose to be the only one that worked properly, maybe a little hype there, eh. Did you have the Ah! upgrade cord on yours? What difference did you notice with the Kimber?

I have to wonder if one could find the same tubes that are in Kevin's special stash from someplace else? I understand the Siemens tubes are very nice.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by ezc
    Did a/b testing agenst my moded tosh 3950, Both players sounded very very close before the upsampler. Playing the same cd's & switching between both players the Tjoebs sound is much fuller!

When I compared my 3950 to my reference setup I noticed it was not as full also. The 3960 is a different animal though. Congrats on the mod. Now you have to modify a cheap player until it sounds as good. :D
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • ezc
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I had the stock PC on the player & went straight to the PK10. The sound from the Kimber is much more full. The Ah pc is multi stranded looks like 3 -4 wires to make up one line, & has hot, neut, & ground. the stock pc only has hot & neut. I figured i had PK10 & wattgate audio grade plug ends so id just use what I had, I connected hot, neut & ground like the ah cable. The 10awg dosnt fit into the wire connector in the Ah so some trimming was needed. My connector is opened fully the largest It could open! I have less than 25 hrs on the upsampler & as I have read from reviews it takes a few hundred hrs to break in & sound much better!!! I look forward to that day! Ill use the Ah here at the shop till I have more hrs. I run the players here about 10-12 hrs a day & if it was at home it may run 2 hrs if lucky a day! I think you could find good tubes outside of kevin, you just need to know what your looking for. I dont have experience with tubes so I had friends that do only 2 ch reccomend what Im using now. There probably is better but that will be for a later date. I have a Moded 3960 comming today! A friend had moded one & Ill do a a/b with the Ah later this evening or over the weekend!
  • F1nut
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Alright, keep us posted.

President of Club Polk

• pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited August 2004
    Options
    ezc,

Looks like you have been having some fun! It came down to the Ah! and the Jolida for me when I was looking for a tube cdp. I went with a modded Jolida and am very happy although I'd be happy with the Ah! too I bet.

F1,

Partsconnextion has a 10% sale going on right now. It includes Siemens tubes in the list. I've bought tubes from Kevin before too. Great guy and responds to all emails and phone calls.

Here's the Parts Connextion sale link. Some nice stuff here albeit still a little pricey.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/econnexion/econnex_v3n2/AugustNewsletter2004.htm
  • F1nut
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Thanks Paul :)

President of Club Polk

• ezc
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I got the e-mail for partsconnexion today & looked at the tubes on sale. Id like to try the NOS-64506 Siemens CCa Gold Pins $239.95/MP or the NOS-66320 Mullard CV2492 Gold Pins, Mid-70's Vintage $159.95/MP I have heard good reviews on the tubes. I need to save some $$ to buy great tubes! Just purchased the ah upsampler & cardas rca caps. I should have waited a few weeks to by my cardas caps, I purchased them from Partsconnexion! Not cheep tweak but the caps work. I got 2 bags ( 12 in each setfor $36per set) $72 just for caps & I still need lots more. I put caps on all the extra rcas on my cdp, dvd & around the analoug rcas on my receiver. The caps did quiet the system & drop the noise floor! Im still using the rsx 1065 for my 2 ch cd at home & a denon 2805 for our store system. Damm I need lots more caps! Id like to cap every rca that isnt used & that should help a little more! Been listening to a moded 3960, 3950 & the Ah. The 3690 is moded standard vinnie mods, no iec. My 3950 is vinnie mods with dual bb627 op amps on a brown dog adapter & PK10 pc, & the Ah eh tubes, upsampler, & PK10 PC. I have all the ic ( all the same type) into the 2805 & playing the same cd all at the same time & switch a/b/c. To make things short I still prefer the ah just more dynamic & more information more dynamic. Between the 3960 & 3950 the difference was small I like the 50 beacuse of the dept, wider soundstage, & is slightly more revealing. it could be due to the dual 627 opamps & better pc. The 3960 has a opa2604 single opamp & stock pc but still sounds very good! I did the a/b/c at the shop using a denon 2805 & NHT SB3 speakers. Id like to try this test at home on the main system, but I need to return the 3960 on sat. I would guess the results would be the same on our main system. the main system is more revealing & has much larger soundstage with the LSi15's.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Super. Glad to hear you got some big improvements. You're player is using a single 6922/6DJ8 right? Those tubes you listed are a little expensive. Another good source is www.triodeelectronics.com and www.thetubestore.com

Maurice
  • ezc
    edited August 2004
    Options
    My player uses two 6922 tubes. Thanks for the links! Always looking for ways to improve the system! After the upsamler breaks in Ill start trying tubes!