Thoughts....

2»

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    Right! The Brahma is an excellent sub. Never said it wasnt. All I said was the Brahma may be louder and hit harder but will not sound as good as a W7 or W6. This is due to the fact that the Brahma is geared towards SPL and the W's are geared for SQ.

US Amps are not superior to JL amps nor Xtant series amps. I would consider them all to be about the same. However neither JL or US Amps are anywhere near Xtant's X series amps. Those are ultra high end beauties. Of course their 75x4 X series goes for a measly $1000 so theyd better be something. LOL ;)

I can just imagine your conversation with the newcomer seeking a system.

"JL sucks! You dont want them cause they suck! They cost too much and suck! Get something else cause they suck! Dont pay attention to the other 98% of people out there that like JL, theyve been brainwashed and are in on the conspiracy! They suck as much as JL sucks!"

"But why do they suck?"

"Cause they suck!! They cost too much so they suck!!"

"But theyre the same price as most other high end gear."

"Shut up! Thats beside the point! JL just sucks! Arent you paying attention?!"

Poor MTXMAN. He starts this thread looking for opinions and suggestions for an upcoming system and me and Cody invade it with our petty feud. Ive lost count of how many threads have ended up with this! LOL :p
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2004
    the w7 IS an SPL sub just as much as it is an SQ sub
    it has 1 mm more x-max than the brahma!
    its an SQL sub, not just SQ
    having heard both before, i liked the SQ of a the bramha 12 running off a JBL 1200.1 in a custom ported box than a 12w7 in a box made by JL being powered by a JL 1000/1
    i do put USAmps on par with X series
    they have a 50x2 that runs for $2,250 retail
    its the USA-100HC if youre interested
    their tube 75x4 amp is retailed at $700
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Poor MTXMAN. He starts this thread looking for opinions and suggestions for an upcoming system and me and Cody invade it with our petty feud. Ive lost count of how many threads have ended up with this! LOL :p

LOL, I don't mind, i find it all amusing ;)

and just for the record, the US Amps Tube amps are by far the best sounding amps i've ever heard... and yes i have heard component sets on the better JL amps... no comparison, the US is more detailed and warmer. My test is Slipknot, vol. 3 track 2, the good 4ch JL amp (not sure of the model #) playing the $1000 boston comp set didn't sound nearly as detailed as my US TU-600 (150x2@4ohms) running my momos.
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Well personally I believe that, tonally, all amps sound the same. The differences are in power output, headroom and distortion.

My previous Alpine amps sound exactly the same as my Crossfires. The difference is that the Crossfires are EXTREMELY more powerful and thus bring out a lot more detail. This is why you hear more detail with the US Amps. It is more powerful and has lots more headroom. The JL being fully regulated lacks the headroom to bring out the detail.

I agree with you using good ole heavy metal for speaker testing! Ive never understood why magazines use jazz and folk music for testing. A well produced metal album is extremely hard to reproduce well and it will bring out all the harshness and insufficeincies a speaker has!

My personal favorite test track is off of Dream Theaters 'Train of Thought' CD, "As I Am". Its very heavy but also has lots of cool licks and detail that cant be heard or picked up as well on lesser speakers.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    you need to hear a tube amp big mac--you CAN tell the difference
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited August 2004
    ***EDIT*** Ignore the following post. In my ignorance, I didn't realize that there was a second page to this thread...:rolleyes:
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    The BL curve isnt supposed to be flat, its supposed to be curved, hense the name.
    Well, I'd venture to guess that it's called a curve since the BL of most speakers are, due to their nature. However, the 'ideal' BL curve would be completely flat, giving the most natural-sounding response, closest to the original signal. When there is a curve, that is the part of the signal that is louder than the rest of the sound, adding peaks to your response. Doctrine according to Austin. Please, anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.
    Also, I know the Brahma is an excellent sub. There are a lot of excellent subs out there. However, the Brahma (from what I know of it anyway) is geared more toward SPL than SQ.
    The Brahma is very much geared toward SQ just as much as it is SPL. Quoting from Adire's website:
    "Designed from the ground up by Adire's own engineers, they are destined to change the way drivers are built. Brahma uses Adire's new Patent Pending XBL2 TM Technology, which allows Brahma to set a new benchmark in terms of sheer linear sound quality and SPL capability. Brahma is designed for extreme SPL/SQ situations. It features dual 2 Ohm voice coils [........] and a host of other state-of-the-art features. Big SPL isn't a problem at all.

HOWEVER, Brahma also delivers world-class sound quality. This unique design greatly reduces the distortion, lowers inductance, and increases overall linearity of the driver. At 1mm, or 20mm of excursion, Brahma still sounds the same."

P.S. Cody, is this the sort of box you're looking for for your truck?
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    i was wanting to make a down fire box...i highly doubt the brahmas would fit in that box...theyre just too deep
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    i was wanting to make a down fire box...i highly doubt the brahmas would fit in that box...theyre just too deep
    -Cody

Yeah, SPL subs tend to be deep. :p:p

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    yup...just like the w7 with an overall depth of 11.25" compared the brahmas 7.5"
    -Cody
  • Joelsbass
    edited September 2004
    lmao, good comeback cody....

Check out the series of boxes on that site that are made for the Bramah, they're pretty cool, i think i'm just going to go with one of those for my 10's since they seem to be nicely reinforced and well designed, that and they're the exact .5 that i want for each speaker...

http://www.subzeromfg.com/aseries.htm

• exalted512
    edited September 2004
    http://www.sound-foundations.us//catalog/default.php?cPath=50_55_57
    remember Geolemon(Chris)?
    he makes those boxes i linked to...same site where i ordered my brahmas from
    might want to give those a look as well...
    the magnet cradle is nice on those sub zero boxes
    -Cody
  • Joelsbass
    edited September 2004
    hmm... i want to see a pic of golemon's boxes....

• exalted512
    edited September 2004
    email seth on that website...hed be able to help you out
    i know there is at least one of those dual 10 boxes floating around...a guy called "Honest Bob" on the www.caraudiotalk.com forum has one
    -Cody