Crossover problem??

denis87
denis87 Posts: 86
edited August 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok either my amp crossover is crap or it's died on me or it's just the song. I was listening to 50 cent track 13 and for some reason my mid drivers sound like crap with my crossover on. it only has two settings 110HZ or 70HZ. it sounds like my mids are distorting but when i turn the crossover off they sound fine. My setup is MM6's bi amped off of a 4 channel kicker ix404 amp. should be running 60 watts to each individual speaker. any clue to why this may be happening cause i'm not sure.
www.dmbvideo.com www.oilfans.com
Post edited by denis87 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    Hmm..so with the low pass filter on it distorts and with it off it sounds fine? Thats odd.'

Kicker amps are underrated so you could be putting more than 70 watts to the mid but your Momo should be able to handle that.

Does the mid distort with the low pass at 110 or 70 or both?

The only other thing I can think of is that your amp may have a bass boost that only engages with the low pass on. Maybe you have the boost set too high and its too much for the Momo and when you turn off the low pass it disables the boost. Im not familiar with that model amp so I dont know.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2004
    How are you bi-amping these speakers with that amp? The only choices are 70 or 110 Hz. That would mean that you are high passing the tweeters at 110 Hz and low passing the woofers at 70?

1.You would need an amp capable of band passing. That means it has an active crossover network capable of having the high pass and low pass turned on simultaneously. This would bandpass the mid at (for example) HP: 60 Hz and LP: 3.5 kHz.

2. You would need some sort of x10 switch to change the x-over point from 200 Hz to 2000 Hz for example so you could run the tweeters active.

3. Or you would have to have a bi-ampable passive crossover such as our new components. Then you could turn the active crossovers off in the amp and just use the passive.

If you are running the speakers as previously mentioned, it is just a matter of time before they become deep fried. I would suggest using the passive crossovers supplied with the system and just using two channels of that amp high passed at 70 Hz or purchasing an amp capable of doing what you need it to.
  • denis87
    edited August 2004
    I have all the bass boost and such set a zero. My tweeters are on the front channel using the crossover provided with the mm6's. I was also using the crossover on the amp set to 110hz with the tweeters. As for the mid drivers since there is no dual inputs i was just using the amp crossover set at 70hz. After when i noticed the distortion type sound i set it to 110hz and it still sounded "muddy". With the crossover set to the off position everything sounds fine but now i'm afraid the mids are getting to much bass and will eventually be "deep fried". I will do a little bit more testing today to see if anything changes. I wonder if my amp may be fried too because it was pretty hot when i started adjusting it.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2004
    amps get hot, its no biggie. if you're running the tweeters through the polk crossovers, then don't put any filter settings on those 2 channels. the mids really need a bandpass filter; that is, they need to be highpassed at 50-100 (taking away all frequencies below that setting, so in your application, a highpass of 70). ideally, they would like a lowpass at 3.5kHz, too. i'd do what josh says and run them off two channels through the polk crossover, and get an appropriate amp when and if feasible, if the power you're getting isn't enough.

on the bass issue - as long as you're not exceeding the speaker's excursion limit, you should be good, and they can get pretty damn loud xovered at 70 Hz before hitting that limit.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • denis87
    edited August 2004
    sorry guys i forgot to mention this problem is with my amp crossover.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    Im running my Momo 6x9s the same way. Tweets are thru the passive x-over and the mids are running from 70 Hz up. This setup sounds about 1,237 times better than running in 2 channel mode and using the passive x-over for both mids and tweets.

Having a mid playing 3.5-15K Hz isnt going to hurt it. High frequencies dont take near the toll on a speaker that sub 100 Hz frequencies do so if youve got your mid playing all the way to 15K Hz it wont matter much, especially considering the mid wont reproduce much above 4000 Hz anyway.

Ive seen a lot of set-ups where the rear fill is a 6.5" mid only running full range using only the natural roll off of the speaker and it works fine.

No maybe there is something I dont know and it may be killing my speakers slowly but all Ive read and my experience say this is fine. Not saying it wouldnt be better to have both crossed properly but if you have to do it this way it wont hurt nuthin' :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2004
    Are the mids highpassed or lowpassed at 70 Hz? If they're lowpassed, then that's your problem.
  • denis87
    edited August 2004
    it's high passed...... ithink my problem may be this. my deck has 4v pre outs but my amp only takes 3v max so i think thats where some of the distortion is coming in. also it only happens with the bass (on the deck) at max +8. at +4 there's no distortion. although with no crossover at +8 it sounds fine so that's what's confusing me.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2004
    it will only be the preouts if it only does it at high listening levels
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • denis87
    edited August 2004
    no i noticed this at the volume level 17 and it goes to 30. Also my rockford deck claims it puts out no distortion at full volume (model rfx 8450 i think??).