Which speaker wire to use...

Grimster74
Grimster74 Posts: 2,570
edited August 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'll finally be getting around to putting my new speakers in my Toyota Tacoma this weekend. Any recommendations on which speaker wire I should use. I'll be putting a pair of Polk Audio, MMC6500 components in the front doors and a pair of Polk MMC570 5"x7" in the rear doors. I purchased the Polks last week but I've only opened the boxes to make sure all the speakers were in them so I have no idea if Polk sends extra speaker wire or not. To be completely honest with you, not even sure where I'm going to mount the crossovers yet. So, I need recommendations on what speaker wire to use if any and some good suggestions on where to place the crossovers. Thanks.
Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
Post edited by Grimster74 on

Comments

• bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited August 2004
    Cheap 12 guage or 14 guage. Home Depot generally has it where the large thing of spools of wire are.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    Radio Shack has 50' of 14 guage flat wire for $20.

Generally, speaker wire is speaker wire. The main thing is to use a thick guage.

RCA's are a different story. My philosophy is to buy the most expensive set you can afford. A $80 set will be a lot better than a $20 set.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2004
    stay away from Monster speaker wire
    I use RF wire and am very happy with it...great insulation...never had a problem with it
    all my speaker wire for my next system will be from www.knukonceptz.com
    speaker wire is speaker wire...speaker wire insulation is usually the deciding factor...monster wire insulation sucks ****
    generally though...whatever Wal-Mart has usually does the job
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited August 2004
    Yeah, RF wire is great, but their RCA wires are shoddy. Very weak, I had one break and I disected it... it was some really cheap construction.
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    I usually stick with Tsunami or Streetwires for RCA's (even though Im temporarily running Monster right now). Stinger are also good.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    I run 2 pairs of RF rca's and havent had a problem with either
    one is a pretty **** pair...but they sound great
    the other is their TOTL matrix gamma and havent had any problems with it either
    -Cody
  • Grimster74
    edited August 2004
    Okay, next quick question. How well would the Polk MOMO C400.4 drive just the current speakers I've listed. I was going to purchase Alpine amplifiers but decided to hold off on the amps. I figured if I'm going to go threw all the trouble to install the new speakers this weekend I may as well purchase the amp and do it all at the same time. Thanks in advance.
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    id get a single 300.2 and leave the rears running off the deck
    -Cody
  • Grimster74
    edited August 2004
    Another thing I forgot to mention was, I WILL NOT be putting any subwoofers behind the rear seats probally until sometime next year. So, if I will be only running front and rear doors, do I purchase a 4-channel amp. for all the doors, a 2-channel amp. for fronts and run the rears off the head unit, or do I just run all the doors off the head unit until I know exactly what I'm going to do as far as the subs go. In case some don't know, I'm running the Alpine CDA-9835 w/ V-Drive, 26 watts RMS/ 60 peak x 4 channels.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2004
    id run the fronts off a 2-channel and the rears off the deck - but that's just personal choice. if you prefer a more enveloping experience, or even the flexibility to try it out, go 4 channel.

wiring: as said, go with the best rca's you can buy, and speaker wire doesn't really matter. i use 14 gauge American Bass wiring, cause it's flexible and well-insulated, and Stinger Expert RCA's.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    I always recommend against running anything off the deck. The only thing the deck is good for running is the power antenae.

Get the 4 channel. It will sound better and offer more flexibility in fine tuning.

For $500 though I would go with JL Audios 300/4. A much better amp.

• MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited August 2004
    hell, for $500 i'd run the rear's off of the deck and get the US Amps TU-4360 running 75x4 biamping the components. (and yes you can get it for that price from an authorized dealer... www.speedsound.com) if you still go with one of the other amps i'd still get a 4ch so you can bi-amp the fronts either now or when you get the subs and need less rear fill...

crap.. with as much as i praise US Amps they should be givin me a discount :p
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    I agree with MTXMAN on the bi-amping.

Bi-amping will ALWAYS offer better sound quality.

Actually if it were me Id dump the rear speakers altogether and run only the Momos up front.