I got me am amp...but...

Options
keith allen
keith allen Posts: 734
edited October 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Ok,I bought the Carver tfm22 amplifier,now I need some advice on how to run my speakers.I run a sub on speaker wire,my receiver doesnt have a sub output,the speaker wire goes in the sub then out and to the rti8's.Now I have the amp,should I continue to run the speakers the same way,or should I run the sub from the receiver and the speakers from the amp?I appreciate any advice:)
Post edited by keith allen on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2004
    Options
    what kind of sub do you have?

I would run the speakers from your Carver amp. or what else would it run? that's what you got it for right?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • keith allen
    edited August 2004
    Options
    No I was originally planning on running the rti8's,my system is just two channel,and my sub is powered,10" velodyne
  • keith allen
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I may be confussing here,my reciever is pretty good,I thought I may run the sub off of it and the rti8's off the amp,the sub is powered so it just needs a signal
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I'm going to assume that your receiver DOES have preamp outputs....

Just run the speaker wire from the receiver to the sub, but DON't run the speaker wire from the sub to the speakers. Instead, hook the pre-outs from the receiver to the amp, and wire your speakers to the amp's speaker terminals.

Be SURE you don't connect a tape-out, or some such, to the amp---- It must be a preamp level output, controlled by the volume setting on the receiver.

What receiver are you using?

Jason
  • keith allen
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Yes my receiver has preamp outputs,I was running the wires to the sub first then the speakers because it didnt have sub outputs.I'll hook it up like that j...thanx alot
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited August 2004
    Options
    what receiver do you have?
  • keith allen
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I have a Denon dra685
  • PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited September 2004
    Options
    ...... jcaut......Now I understand how that works and my hookups in the future have just been explained.........

Thank You..........:D .......Pat

Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
  • PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Keith

I also have the #685. I liked it for it's simple looks power (100 watts) and the Denon name along with the low low price of 400$ delivered. Sure those AV recievers sure are tops but I'm just powering a couple sets of speakers. If you ever get a chance That Denon integrated is cool looking too and it is only 80 watts. I've read that it supplies lots of current and will power some large tower speakers with ease.

I bet your sub will sound great with your "speaks"! I'm considering a lot of stuff but recently been looking at SVS subs to supplement the speakers.

.......................................Pat:)
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's