clueless on amps

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited August 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Hey all,

I just purchased 2 10" Polk MM2104DVC subs but im clueless on the amps. Each sub can handle a max of 600 watts but all this channel and ohms and crossover stuffs got me lost.

Please help
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Do a little reading on crutchfield.com on how to wire your dual voice coil speakers.
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited August 2004
    Options
    If I understand correctly, each coil can handle up to 300W RMS, so the woofer as a whole can handle 600W RMS. Soooo, if you've got a Polk 500.1 (which does at least 500W at 13.8V), that should be a decent fit when the sub is wired to 2 ohms.

Assuming you have the 500.1, you hook the two coils to equal 2 ohms (positive to positive and negative to negative) and hook it to ONE of the outputs on the amp (should be labeled on the amp itself). It doesn't matter which output you hook it up to, its the same thing.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited August 2004
    Options
    yes, but if he has two DVC's he won't be able to get a 2 ohm final impedance. Each DVC is 4/4 so each can be wired to 2 or 8 ohms. Two woofers can be wired together for a 1 or 4 ohm final impedance, 1 ohm won't work with a 500.1, and 4 ohm will only give you half of the power the amp's capable of. You're best bet is get an amp that is 1 ohm stable in bridged mode, of one that has huge output at 4 ohms bridged.
  • bknauss
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Yup, guess I missed that all important "2" in front of "10" Polk MM2104DVC"
    Brian Knauss
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Depending on your budget you could also get 2 Class D amps and have on for each sub.

You could get two of these MTX Thunder 421D amps for $255 each. Theyre rated at 420 at 2 ohms but are probably more around 475. This would be a little shy of the 600 mark but would power your subs well and make em last a little longer.

Thats $510 for nearly 1000 watts. That aint a bad deal and MTX makes awesome, competition level amps.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bknauss
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I would prefer one amp... less current wasted, less space taken up, less wiring, etc etc.
    Brian Knauss
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2004
    Options
    so youre saying i went overkill?:D
    531337_10_full.jpg
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • bknauss
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I'm going to have 6 amps... but that's because:
    1. The 500.1s don't put out enough power to power two Momo 12s properly, and
    2. In theory, I want a ridiculous amount of headroom to all of the speakers :) Too bad I'll never be able to hit the RMS values on all of the amps at the same time since my electrical system wouldn't handle it.
    Brian Knauss
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    Options
    so dont go with polk amps...
    when my new system is done...ill only have 2 amps
    but those two amps will put out 3600 watts rms...
    -Cody
  • bknauss
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Or just wait until '06 when a new lineup of amps will probably come out (new Momo line I should say). Maybe there will be (*gasp*) a 1kW amp!!!
    Brian Knauss
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    Options
    didnt you just say theyre not coming out with a new line of amps?
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Im against the whole idea of Polk Audio making amps.

Polk Audio is a speaker maker like MB Quart, Focal, Dynaudio, Morel and so on. When a speaker maker decides to make amps, to me anyways it cheapens them a bit and they cease to be a specialized manufactuer like Focal and become a mass manufactuer like Rockford Fosgate.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I would be more for a partnership setup... say Polk makes the speakers and partners in advertizing, etc... with a good but priceworthy amp-specialty company that is equivalent to quality and priceing of Polk.
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I still would love to see Polk step it up a notch by moving up to high end products only.

Their home speaker line is very respected and with good reason. I dont think their car speaker line is on par with their HT stuff.

Id like to see them get away from the $75 speakers and move up to the leagues of MB Quart and Focal.

• bknauss
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I think I had mentioned that based on amp sales of Momos (which IMO hasn't looked overly great, especially with no real advertising), don't expect a totally fresh line of amps. At least that's what I think I said. On the other hand, I would expect, barring some terrible sales, a revamped set of Momo amps that do some more real world things... say like... a 1kw amp :)

Expect a high end lineup of stuff coming out... I think Thom and Josh have mentioned this. But... since CC only sells the low end stuff, and Polk should cater to the just starting crowd and the lower income crowds.
    Brian Knauss