question about component speakers

yahyah
yahyah Posts: 17
edited August 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I had a pair of infinity 6000cs components in my car...i accidentially hooked up the wrong amp the system and one of the speakers blew neways i wanted to know since i cant get another pair of just the mids would it be ok if i just put another companies mids on the infinity system (crossover and tweeters)?
yahyah
Post edited by yahyah on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2004
    i don't see why not, as long as the impedance of the mid is the same as the original (both are probably 4 ohms). it'll sound different, esp. if the sensitivity of the mid is different
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2004
    do you think the mid was a little loud? or maybe a little soft? or just right?
    if it was a little loud...look for another mid with less efficiency, if it was too soft, look for one with a higher efficiency, if everything blended well, then get one with the same efficiency, but other than that, youll be fine
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    I would recommend against replacing a single mid with another brand/ The problem will be that no two speakers sound the same so if you have Infinity mids which are very bright and replace one with say a Polk mid which is more open its gonna sound funky.

You should check with some local dealers of Infinity products if there are any near you and see if they will sell you a single mid. If not you could check with Crutchfield or SoundDomain and see if they have an extra mid lying around.

If you cant find one then maybe this is a good excuse to go buy new speakers!! :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited August 2004
    heck, look on ebay.. someone out there SHOULD be smart enough to try to sell one if they blew the other from the pair...
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • yahyah
    yahyah Posts: 17
    edited August 2004
    guys i was thinking about replacing both mids and wanted to know if that would sound fine for example the tweeters and crossovers would be infinity and the mids lets say audio bahn or something... if neone has ne mids they wanna sell me let me know
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    I would still avoid mixing brands.

An Infinity component set has been designed to work best with that certain tweet, mid and x-over combo.

For example, you keep the Infinity bright, tinny tweeter and go with an Alpine Type R mid which is also kind of thin sounding and its probably gonna suck.

I highly recommend sticking to Infinity products.......yuck, cant believe I just said that.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2004
    or, since you get a 'package deal' on audio equipment (that is, the total price of 2 tweets 2 mids and 2 xovers in a box together is considerably less than if you bought them individually from the company), just get a new comp set... you could end up paying half the value of your current setup replacing a third of its elements
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs