Considering a Directed amp

LittleCar_w/12s
LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
edited June 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am considering getting a Driected amp, these are the people that own PPI, Orion, Viper (alarms), and a crap load of other companies.. it is a 1400w max, I assume at 1ohm, and a hellacious good price, an older model, the simplistic black anodized look is perfect for my car.. simplistic... Is this a good company? assuming they own the others mentioned and more.. they've been around a while... I am not sure how long the guy will hold the amp, he's trying to sell it not sit on it... good for me, bad for timing... anyone have any last-minuit reviews?
-Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
Post edited by LittleCar_w/12s on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2004
    id grab it...Directed makes good stuff
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    Im kind of wary of Directed. They make Viper alarms but just recently bought out PPI, a/d/s and Orion and for my the jury is still out on if that was a good thing. I know as far as PPI spec wise they are a mere shadow of their former selves. However the one magazine review Ive read on the new PPI amps gave it glowing reviews.

If the price seems a steal then you may come out fine and it be a good piece for your system.

However, if it were me Id pass on it and look for a good deal on a model I was more familiar and confident with.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2004
    The one amp we dealt with didn't have a lot of power and was noisy.
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited August 2004
    OK.. I wen't ahead and got it, it's an 1100D, and the specs being EXACTLY what my Polk DB12's handle. It was $250, given that this amp sells for about $450-$550, It's not a bad deal, and if it turns out to be a shoddy amp I can always re-sell it.

Stephanie (wife) said ok, but it was my birthday present, and I'm oly allowed to test functionality when I get it. I suggested she give it to me to use on my birthday, september 29th, since she had no way to surprise me with it. (She could have bought a boat anchor and wouldn't know it until my b-day lol.) This is ok, since I have to fix my car and build the new box anyway...

Anyway, expect a short review due to this, but it will be a review nonetheless. Thi may be the only thing I get for my car audio-wise this year... but it was the most needed part.

-Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    I hope it works out fine fer ya.

The coolest thing is that youll have a component that not everybody has. Thats a good part of why I went with Crossfire. Everytime you open up a magazine you dont see every car with Crossfire amps like you do JL, RF or Kicker.

I would like to have all oddball equipment in my setup but I really, really like JL subs and their XR speakers put out a lot of midbass and have a sweet midrange so theyre gonna be hard to pass up.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited August 2004
    I know this is off-topic, but does anyone want my old 2-chamber sub box? It is about 32 inches long, 14" high, C.D. of each chamber about 1.24 ft^3. If anyone wants it, I have the box set up for spades, wire or bannana plugs, with a passive crossover for each coil inside (100hz 4ohm, 50hz 2ohm...) that is bypassable... the old box had ports, I plugged them with rubber stoppers, good seal and removeable, and has sealed-up cutouts for horn tweeters.
    Facia is a little damaged, but it is free to anyone here if you want to come by Houston, otherwise it's getting scrapped, I don't think I can sell it.
    -Jerry

• LittleCar_w/12s
    edited August 2004
    Hmm.. I just realized that my "total cost of system went down to $850 as of right now... the new 1100w amp cost me $50 less than my now broken 700w Kicker!
    -Jerry

• MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Dont ya love a bargain?!?

When I decided on using Crossfire amps, I looked up their list price and was expecting to pay $350-375 for each. When I went to my local dealer and found out they were $250 each, I was overjoyed!

It must be a sign I thought. God must want me to build this system and compete! :D

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    God gave me 8 signs that i needed higher power handling subs...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    ROFLMAO!!!!! :D

Yeah, that is a pretty good way of looking at it!

8 former Momo speakers now in the great sound off in the sky!

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    yeah...the warranty on one of em went out on the 7th of this month...the other warranty goes out on the 14th...
    maybe i can find someone at college with an old body style GM that I can sell my box, subs, and amps too...
    -Cody
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited August 2004
    Lol... Or, Cody, maybe it's a sign from the Devil that he needed 8 subs for his ride, so he killed 'em....
    -Jerry
    Disclaimer: This user does not neccessarily believe in 'The Devil'

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    either way...im still getting new subs!!
    i talked to seth yesterday and he told me they were shipping the backordered subs out...so hopefully theyll be in the truck within the next week or 2!!
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Thats my next project, a sub so I can build the new box and get my amprack squared away.

Ive got this vision in my head of the entire area under my seat. Under the passenger seat will be the 10" sub firing up (downfiring jsut ate up too much clarity). Then my 2 Crossfire amps next to it running longways so they can be closer to the edge for better cooling. The X-overs mounted above and to the right of the amps, although Im thinking about getting an active x-over and skipping the passives outright. Then use some thin wood or plexiglass with holes cut into it so theyll fit over the amps and x-over but leave the top half sticking out so no wires are visible. Then maybe carpet the entire thing in black for the low key look.

In my head this is just what Id love to go to some comps with. I just dont know if Ive got the skill to throw it together. I suck at any kind of craftmanship!

Scott Buwalda is my cheif inspiration. His Altima is set up like this. No fiberglass and very stealthy. I think it looks awesome. Plus he is the SQ grand-poo-bah so he should know.

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    i have a dream!!
    thought id add that in...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Actually its:

"I dont have a life so I have to have something to occupy my time!" :D

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    hmm...never had that feeling;)
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Well Im becoming a hermit in my old age. I seem to prefer staying home watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer re-runs and playing video games to going out and socializing.

Maybe cause Im out in the middle of people all day and get to hate them! :D

• LittleCar_w/12s
    edited August 2004
    Buffy???? Man, I absolutely hated that show, in fact I hate most TV shows... Mind-lulling b/s. I spend $50 a month for my 3Mbps internet, instead of cable tv...so many things to learn and do on here....
    As for hermit... I practically havent gone anywhere other than home and work (and I work at night) since I've been sick. I sleep too damn much, never get anything done... such a slacker :D
    Oh well.. maybe I'll feel better after my insurance kicks in in Sept... man I'm gonna make some doctors happy....
    -Jerry

• MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Hate?!?! Buffy?!?!? What are you, communist?!? :D

Frankly I wouldnt consider BTVS to be "stimulating"......umm...well at least not mentally.

I just like it cause I like vampire stuff and it just so happens I think Gellar is about the hottest chick on the planet!

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2004
    yes, we all know you do :)

perhaps it has to do with resembling a refridgerator... i had a teacher once that was also built pretty well and he adored buffy...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    A refridgerator? You callin' me fat?

Im not fat. Im fluffy! :p

• badboyspack
    badboyspack Posts: 10
    edited June 2006
    LittleCar_w/12s do you still have the Directed 1100d, if so do you want to sell it ?
  • badboyspack
    badboyspack Posts: 10
    edited June 2006
    you have a pm LittleCar_w/12s
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited June 2006
    So did someone get bored and go through all these post for one line answers? Seems like we've had a bunch of that lately...
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited June 2006
    BadBoySpack has a PM

Just incase enyone else wants to ask about the Directed amp:
    I'm not going to sell it, I have been very pleased with it.
    Also it was a present for my b-day from Wifey, so bad idea to sell it ;-)

I'll put my stamp of approval on this amp as a good all-purpose D-Class amp. I havent beat it up, So I am not sure what it's limits are for extreme use :-)

-Jerry-

• MacLeod
    edited June 2006
    Im not suprised. They did buy out PPI and Orion, two powerhouse amp makers. Maybe they did the right thing and used their knowledge instead of coming in and "showing them a thing or two". Man Id love to have a set of 90's model PPI's.