Are the new Polk subs as good as the old DB12s?

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited August 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I'm looking to replace my old DB12s with something a bit newer, but I'm not sure which to buy. I'm not looking for too much more power handling but I want the same if not better sound quality. Anyway, are the new DB series or MOMO subs as good? If not, what other subs would you suggest with similar quality in a 500 dollar or less price range? thanks.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    Options
    The Momo subs are pretty good. Their only real drawback is they tend to go **** up when given anything much over their rated power. That being said, they do sound good and are not bad subs at all when properly powered.

Other subs I like are Image Dynamics, JL Audio, Diamond Audio and the Kicker L7. All of these are great subs that sound great.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2004
    Options
    with a $500 spending limit you can do better than MOMO
    if theres nothing wrong with those old DB subs...id keep em...GREAT speakers
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Options
    That is true. For $500 you could have a JL 12W6 ($400-450) which is my personal favorite sub on the market.

If youre not a JL fan you could get into the Image Dynamics IDMax line or Kicker L7's.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Yeah i hate thinking about replacing the DB12s, they've lasted me longer than I ever expected them to and they're my ideal sub, but I'm not sure how much longer they have.

Anyway, yeah I hear a lot of good things about JL and Kicker, (local dealer sells those) but I'm not sure I have enough amplifier power to run two solobarics.. Do you know the minimum RMS rating that'd make them sound good? I've got an 800 watt amplifier stable down to 1 ohm, but I don't know how well that'd push two solobarics, and i don't really wanna go down to one subwoofer.

Thanks for the suggestions too btw.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited August 2004
    Options
    OMG!!! you actually are thinking of replacing your DB12's?!?!? Why.... I outta........

Truthfully, my db12's have seen good and bad, and sound as good as the newer stuff. I don't think I'll ever replace them unless they actually die... which I don't plan to encourage...
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • Systems
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Oh they play as good now as they did when they were new. I'm just guessing they will start to deteriorate eventually.. Hopefully later rather than sooner. They've lasted this long though so who knows. Anyone know the life expectancy of a well made sub?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    Options
    i wouldnt get rid of em...you can expect a LONGGGGGG life expectancy if treated well
    long as in 10-15 years...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Ill add my vote to keeping them. If your present subs are treating you well and youre pleased with their performance then there is no reason to change.

Take that money and look to replace other components in your system youre not totally happy with.

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    Options
    or give the money to me
    the system in my truck is far overdue for a change...lol
    the head unit was the first to go
    old JVC for a new competition level Pioneer
    next is subs
    soon after if not before is the front components
    the subs are still on backorder...so im not too sure when ill be getting them...im ordering the diamonds as soon as i see money in my bank account...damn weekend...so hopefully i can order them monday
    on a side note...im going to be spending more money today if i can still manage to get a ticket to the evanescence, seether, 3 days grace, and breaking benjamin concert tonite
    amy lee is HOT
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Well I got my amps of choice. If these Crossfires serve me well Ill be using Crossfire for a long time to come. I just dont ever seeing me shelling out $500+ for Xtant amps. Maybe when I win the lottery.

My next project is getting my subs squared away. My pair of 8's are gonna go as theyre taking up all the back seat room. My plan is to use a single 10. Most likely candidates are a JL 10W3, Kicker L7 8", MM104 or Orion P10. I doubt Im gonna be able to squeeze more then .5 ft3 for an enclosure and all of these claim to work well in this area or smaller. The Orion will work in .4 but takes 500 watts and Im only going to be giving it 350+ so Im concerned about not getting its best. Image Dynamics IDQ10V3 is one Id love to have and will work in a .27 ft3 (!!) which would be awesome but it will only handle 250.

After all that Ill get my components. Either the MMC6500, MB Quart Reference, Diamond M661s or maybe the JL XR 6.5".

After all that Im gonna have to come up with a spiffy sub box and amp rack and then Im gonna look into getting into a low level MECA SQ contest several months and dollars down the road.

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    My plan is to use a single 10. Most likely candidates are a JL 10W3, Kicker L7 8", MM104 or Orion P10. I doubt Im gonna be able to squeeze more then .5 ft3 for an enclosure and all of these claim to work well in this area or smaller. The Orion will work in .4 but takes 500 watts and Im only going to be giving it 350+ so Im concerned about not getting its best.
    Have you considered the Adire Koda 10? It's supposed to be a dang nice sub, and super clean, using the XBL^2 technology. I'm getting one as soon as I can afford it (for like $50 off, too)
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Well my main requirements are that it A) work in a .45 ft3 box and no larger than .5, and B) handle 400-500 rms.

Also since Im only using a single sub and giving it a little under 400 watts, I think Id rather have an SPL leaning sub. The Orion seems to fit this bill the best. Its the little brother to the SPL monster, the Orion H2, so its got good genes and itll handle 500 rms and recommended for a .4 box.