Huh???

MTXMAN
MTXMAN Posts: 682
edited August 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Did they just completely delete the thread that turned into a muscle vs. rice debate? i wouldn't have been surprised to see it in the HOS but i'm surprised if they just got rid of it....
Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
Post edited by MTXMAN on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    Yeah apparantly they did.

That one didnt deserve it I dont think. At first it started out all serious but about half way thru it was kind of a big joke. I dont think anyone was really pissed off. I know I wasnt.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited August 2004
    Nah, I think it just was one of those laugh and forget it threads... I wasn't even gonna post... but it went on sooo long lol.
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • MTXMAN
    edited August 2004
    yeah... i had to throw in my Hemi related 2 cents :D;)
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited August 2004
    I didn't delete the whole thread, but I cut all of it past a certain point. If you look for it, it's still down there somewhere. Aside from the whole rice vs. redneck debate, it hurt my head to try to read some of the posts. I don't like to feel dumber after reading a post, EF U KANT SPEL WERDS DON TURN ON DA COMPUDA!!!

Spellcheck, ****!
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited August 2004
    Maybe he's into that thing the kids do these days... 'Leet speak (well, actually Leet is 'l337' if I rememeber correctly)
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by Thom
    I don't like to feel dumber after reading a post, EF U KANT SPEL WERDS DON TURN ON DA COMPUDA!!!

LOL!! I couldnt have said it better myself!

Hey MTXMAN, Hemi comments are NEVER inappropriate! In fact Ill throw one in right now....Hemis rule! :D
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MTXMAN
    edited August 2004
    it's not the spelling that bothers me, cause anyone who reads my posts know that i have terrible spelling... but at least i'm using something similar to the actuall word... the main problem is the diction, they're saying things that don't at all convey what they are trying to say....

an interesting thing i learned today from one of my coworkers... He races a supercharged Honda Civic in track races, he's a licensed amature race driver and from what he says the prelude engine and civic frame are almost completely incompatible... he's only heard of one person successfully putting that engine in that frame due to the greatly different way that the prelude engine and civic engine are mounted... apereantly it takes a huge amount of modification and is pretty cost prohibitive to make it worth while. He also greatly doubted the fact that this guy got the civic down to 2000lbs unless he has the CRX body (the little one) in which case it's possible... He also agreed with most of us that V8's will typically dominate the I4's... So yeah... this is coming from someone who actually races honda's for cash (even amature classes have cash prizes). He actually gets realy annoyed by people with attitudes like ronalds because they give the real racers a bad name. If the thread were still up in its' entirety he was going to get on and set the record straight...
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    In an attempt to get along Ill talk about the one ricer Id love to own although they dont make em anymore (I dont think anyway). One of the Toyota Supra Turbos. The ones with the 320+ turbo V6's that would slam down 0-60 times in the sub 5's all day! Now this was a bad **** ricer!

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited August 2004
    Supras came with I6's and weren't that incredibly fast, stock. They were easy and cheap to modify which is why you see so many of them rolling around modified out the wazoo. That's also another reason you don't see too many of them running around. All those modifcations have effectivly killed them off. On top of that, while the Supra was a nice performance car, it was expensive and compared to it's direct competition in the market, it was slow, heavy and handled like a pig on rollerskates. Even the porky 300ZX was lighter and more nimble. Toyota basically followed the American Muscle car idea and put the biggest engine they had power wise into the smallest chassis it would fit in to. So that bore the Toyota Celica Supra. Later, the chassis diverged and became seperate cars but Toyota never seemed to get it bette than middle of the pack in any respect.

So don't go mistaking aftermarket-enhanced performance for stock Supra performance. They are like the Buick GN's. Very capable vehicles off the showroom floor and easily modified. Ferrari killers they are not though. GN's had this aura about them being this end-all be-all of acceleration and they weren't. I heard many a story claiming low 12's to high 11's for a stock Buick GN and even with 300 horses, that chassis/body was just too heavy and loose to provide those kinds of times for that power level. Even with stout 4.10 gears.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Are you talking about the Twin Turbo model that came in 95?

They had a regular Supra with a 220 hp I6 that was just a basic, spunky little import but then came out with the Twin Turbo model which had a 320 hp I6, and a 6 speed tranny.

These things were supposed to be pretty mean. With 0-60 times in high 4's, and 1/4 miles in the low 13's.

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2004
    that sucks...it had to be deleted when i went on vacation...i didnt even catch the end:(
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    You didnt miss much. It started getting ridiculous with ronald claiming his Civic wasnt even modified yet he could smoke Mustang GT's and such. At least I think thats what he was saying. His spelling got worse to the point he wasnt even making sense, although I think he was doing it on purpose. So towards the end I think everybody was just goofing and not really going at it.

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited August 2004
    Yes I am and The Supra was not as spectacular stock as so many people make it out to be.

Some specs:
    0 - 60 mph [secs] 4.6
    0 - 100 mph [secs] 11.1
    1/4 mile [secs at mph] 13.1 at 109

Top Speed [mph] 160
    Lateral acceleration [g] 0.98

Weight was around 3300 pounds and for a car of it's size, it was a porker. The only heavier one out there in its class was a 300ZX 2+2 at like 3400-3600 pounds. With all that weight a 3.27:1 final drive ratio, that 320 horses was renedered pretty ineefective. A modified Mustang with 320 horses pushing 3200-3300 pound and 3.73's was deep into the 12's easily.

For it's price of about 40K in '95 all the way up to almost 80K in 98 when it was killed off, it wasn't even performing to the levels of the Acura NSX which was it's main competition in that price range. On top of that, both cars were squarely aimed at the European semi-exotics and low-model screamers from teh more prestigous marques like Ferrari, Lamorghini, BMW, Jaguar and Mercedes Benz. The Supra was getting it's tail whipped in every comparo. About the only thing it ever won anything on was in comfort.

The major benefit was that a simple blow-off valve and boost controlled pushed the power up to around 400 horses which was much more respectable. That put the car into the mid 12's easily and really where it should have been from the factory. After that, ported turbos and intakes, exhaust systems and big **** intercoolers along with advanced engine mangement from the aftermarket, 600+ horses were easy. Take some of that "comfort" out and you could drop about 250-500 pounds and get the car just under 3K. That could net you 11's and then you might be able to hang with some of those Mustangs and Camaros that were blasting down teh tracks in the mid-11's. Only the most extensivly modified Supras were reaching 10's and 9's on drag slicks.

So for the Supras intended competition, it wasn't the underdog people think it was, it was a lame duck. Put the Supra up against competition that it should have been up against, Mustang, Camaro, RX-7, 300ZX and so on...the working man's sports car, and it held it's own if not tromp all over the competition. So needless to say, the Supra was capable of beating up on the pony/muscle cars of it's time but that was not where it was priced and marketed or intended. Taken into consideration, that makes the Supra kind of a bust. I mean, think about it. If I took a Ferrari to a Geo Metro meet and beat them all in races, is there really anything to brag about? Put a Ferrari in with it's REAL competition and suddenly it doesn't look so hot. Especially when a car like a Lotus Esprit
    V8 SE can whomp on it all day long for 1/3rd the price.

All I'm really saying is don't fall into the ricer trap. Just because 1 Civic runs 9's doesn't mean they all do. Actually, that trap has been around much longer. Just because one HEMI runs 9's all day long doesn't mean they all do. Simple response to those who think that way is "Got a timeslip? No? Then you don't run 9's either, bub."

In other words, don't get a big head.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    That makes sense. For the price it shouldve performed better. I didnt know it weighed that much though. Good grief, isnt that defeating the purpose of the ricers?

Maybe if theyd offered it with 400 hp like you said or had it priced in the mid $20,000's it wouldve seemed better.

One thing I did like a lot about it was the view from the rear. The back end was kind of love/hate but it had really fat (well at least they looked fat) rear tires and it looked pretty tough.

Speaking of muscle cars, how 'bout GM. Dumping the bad **** Camaro and bringing out the Grand Am, oops I mean GTO. Why?!

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    because theyll bring it back in 2010 and make a killing
    thats my guess
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    If they bring it back retro like Ford is with the Mustang...oh my God! A new Camaro with a 327 that resembles the '67s! I would have to think long and hard about keeping my Beloved Dodge!

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    you should get a Dodge Magnum!
    those look sweet
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Yeah, but its still a station wagon! LOL

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    a SWEET station wagon...do you know how many subs you could fit back there?
    lol
    -Cody
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited August 2004
    I think it's utterly hillarious how Ronald was like... 'I got my Civic down to 2000 lbs" My car is like 2065 I think, that's with all the real stuff on it. It's really a Vauxhaal Astra LXi (not most recent model, they just re-designed) I think is the newer model name.. Originally built to be a sports car, badged as a compact to fit under insurance rates lol. The new ones are f'ing awesome and I'd trade my 14 year old pontiac-badged lemans for one, even though they only come in 'steering wheel on the right' configuration. They also offer Gasoline, LP/LNG and Deisel now.
    I guess my point is that people get so hyped up that they try to soup up the cars they've heard of most, and spend big bucks too... while the new version of mine, at 170hp and about 2100lbs is under 14k.... I guess I just don't get it.
    Maybe I just know what NOT to spend money on....
    -Jerry
    I think i saw the gas mileage of those around 40mpg...??!?!?

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    you should get a Dodge Magnum!
    those look sweet
    -Cody

I think they look way too long. Looks like someone squished a bus :)
    Looks like its a great performer... but again... looks like a squished bus to me.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    I just cant get over the station wagon part of it. I wouldnt care if you stuck a Viper V10 in there, it would still be a station wagon!

I guess its because I grew up when only old people drove station wagons. Kind of like mini vans now I guess. ;)

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    only old people drove station wagons
    sooooooo...whats the problem?
    ;)
    too easy
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Just you wait there sonny. It wont be too long til youre the 30 year old on here and some pup that doesnt have pubes yet is calling you old! :p

By then youll be a lot wiser and thus be running JL gear! :p:p

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    the day i run JL gear is the day i get it for 1/4 of retail...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Id like to see the 300/4 aroudn $350 as opposed to $500.

And the 500/1 down around $350 as well. Id be all over that.

But I just have a hard time paying $500 for ANY amp.

• MTXMAN
    edited August 2004
    i'm a big fan of the dodge stealth / mitsubishi 3000gt myself, even the base models are supposed to be pretty ballsy, and if you get into a modified twin turbo, you're looking at a fast and mean lookin ride