Speaker reviews

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited August 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well, Jerry's idea of amp reviews got me thinking of getting everyones picks on speakers.

These would be my favorite speakers.

1- MB Quart
I have loved Quarts for over 10 years and always will. They are pretty much my standard for speakers. The Q is simply perfect. But at $1300 it had better be! For my budget I like the Reference series a lot. No matter how many changes my planned setup goes thru in a day, I always seem to come back to the Reference. Awesome speaker for $330.

2- JL Audio
JL makes great everything and I think theyre speakers are no exception. The TR and VR series are pretty good but the XR is awesome! Great midbass and sweet midrange. The x-overs are also the best looking on the market. Not bad pricing either at $375

3- Polk Audio
What I always say about Polk is theyre not the best in the world but for the money you cant beat em. The Momo speakers are great. The MMC6500 is very smooth and open and one of the most detailed speakers Ive heard regardless of price!

4- Diamond Audio
The M6 series especially is my pick. They are very smooth and detailed and overall sound great. Ive heard them in soundrooms and demo cars and they sound phenomenal! Cant go wrong with these.

I also like Focal speakers a lot but, A) I hate the French and, B) I keep hearing about their rather exotic woofer materials not holding up well to the elements. Plus I hate the French! :D
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Well fine!

Everybody posts on Jerrys thread but youre all too good for mine. Hmph! See if I ever post another thread. That'll teach ya. :p
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    See if I ever post another thread.
    no one reply!!
    just kidding bro:)
    starting with polk of course...
    the mm6 comps:
    I've beat the living crap out of these things for over 3 years now and the past few months they are finally showing abuse
    when i say 'beat the living crap out of'--i mean theyre pretty much playing full range since im crossing them over at 50Hz...which happens to be the bottom of the frequency range for these guys
    that and im giving them 1.5 times their rated power
    in the price range...theyre hard to beat if you go authorized
    plus...the 3 yr warranty which is almost unmatched in the car audio industry
    mm12, mm120s, mm124s
    great sounding speakers for the price(since its dropped), they get plenty loud....they dont handle over powering like their mm6 counterparts
    i firmly believe if you put ~450-500 you will never have a problem with em
    again...the 3 yr warranty...
    DX series....also handle over powering very well...great sound...great buy
    DB...ive only had experience with the coaxials 'in car' and they didnt exactly make me jump for joy...but then again they are being ran off a crappy JVC headunit thats seen better days...im sure theyll glow when theyre properly powered...the potential is there
    old DB--a little warmer than the mm6 series, but not quite as detailed...they sound a little more natural than the mm6s though
    all other polk speakers ive only heard in a sound room therefor will not comment

kenwood eXcelon...since i have these in my truck theyre next...
    in short
    amazing
    these little 4x6s handle 60ish watts like a champ...sound great...only $100...by far my favorite 4x6...even compared to plates
    their comps are also incredibly warm and smooth...when i bought my mm6s i was contemplating the eXcelons as well...great speakers

others that ive heard

adire--ive only heard the brahmas and it was a beautiful sound to behold...i was going back and forth for a while b/t the ID Max, RE ****, or the Adire Brahma...havent heard the RE, but I have heard the ID...and while its an awesome sub...I liked the Adire better...and plus...it handles more power:)

alpine--not a fan of their speakers...not really harsh...but they dont sound natural
    type R's are an exception...but i think theyre overpriced...i think the DB speakers sound better on a sound board comparison
    i would love to hear the type X speakers

cerwin vega...ive only heard the stroker and i almost wish i hadnt...it HURT...man those are loud
    2 thumbs WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY up:D

diamond---on a sound board...they sound great...im getting the m661s and ill give a full review

DLS--amazing speakers...i cant get over how great these things sound...i actually heard them on vacation for the very first time by total accident...i was walking around and overheard a guy say he had DLS comps on his car and i asked if i could listen and he was more than happy to let me sit down in his neon and let me listen to them

DynAudio...man i want to hear these speakers...never had a chance...only heard great things about them

Eclipse...great speakers...they sound very good...their subs are overpriced

Focal...wow...if you want a straight SQ system...get these...dont handle a lot of power but sound nothing short of amazing...some of the most detailed speakers ive ever heard

Infinity--seems to be Polks biggest rival...i have no idea why...i hate the way they sound...

JL--great speakers, horrible price

PG--awesome speakers...i love their entire line up...if im helping out a friend and a Polk speaker doesnt fit his needs...i usually recommend PG...very nice company to deal with as well

Pioneer...used to be better

RF--same

-Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Im dying to hear DLS speakers as well as Morels. Ive heard and read oodles of smokin' reviews on both of these brands but there isnt a dealer within a 2 states of me.

I too dont like Infinity. Way too bright.

Alpine speakers are ok for low power applications but evertime Ive heard them they are also too bright for my musical tastes.