Please help me decide on a Sub.....

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited August 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Okay, I need help with something. Back in the day I knew my car audio, of course back then Pyle made the bomb sub! Knowing things have changed a lot I need a little advice.

I have three kids and a Tahoe, I don't bump much of anything but would like to get the most sound I can with one 10 maybe 12 inch sub.

I already have a MTX Blue Thunder Pro 75x2 that will run bridged at 150 RMS.

My question is what sub would be best for me to run with that? I have a 10inch Orion Cobalt that I can hook up to it for free but was thinking I would be happier with another choice, something nicer. I'd thought maybe the Kappa 10.1 or the mm12 but didn't know if they were too much sub for the amp. Can somebody please pair me up with a nice sub for this amp. I have an okay panasonic mp3 deck and the rest of the speakers will be the factory tahoe setup.

I would like something non-mainstream if at all possible, like a focal or Adire Shiva, you know, something you don't see every day at Best Buy.

Thanks for any help!
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I prefer 10's. The hit the low frequencies well and stay tight and musical.

Well since Cody is on vacation Ill recommend this JL Audio 10W0. JL is my favorite brand of sub. The only downside is that they are getting more and more popular and youre starting to see them everywhere. This is their entry level 10 incher. It will handle the 150 watts all day and put out some very good, clean bass. You could move up to the 10W3 for about $100 more but wouldnt really be getting all its goodness with only 150 watts.

You can also look at the MM2104. They are rated at 300 watts but the 150 from that MTX would be ok.

The 150 watt amp is the snag here. If you were to move up to a Diamond Audio, Focal or the likes, its unlikely that amp would really do them justice.

For instance you could get a Crossfire or Diamond Audio sub if you had a 300-400 watt amp. Dont get me wrong, you could get these now its just that you wouldnt get your moneys worth out of them performance wise without the proper power.

My recommendation would be to get a 10W3 and get another amp that puts out 300-350 watts, say a Crossfire VR302, and sit back and enjoy.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm getting older, there was a day I would drive around with earplugs in to listen to my music all the way up. I was more worried about what the system sounded like outside of the car then. Now, I just want some bumps, add a little something to the system but not get out of control. I had a bazooka in there and hated the damn thing. I would rather just build a box and go to town.

As for the amp, well there's a bottle neck in most systems, one can always give more then the other. I won't need more then the amp can do is my point so I want a sub that will match that.

I think you put it very well and basicly answered what I didn't know I was asking. What sub will not just be a waste of money. If I'm not going to use it no reason to pay for it I guess.

I'll look into the subs you mentioned, thanks again!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Options
    You shouldnt consider wattage as loudness, especially when it comes to subwoofers. True a 1000 watt amp will have the ability to be considerably louder than a 300 watt amp but when played at the same level, the 1000 watt will be cleaner, more solid and more musical.

Think of it as having a 454 vs a V6. Now the V6 will take you wherever you want to go and do so at freeway speeds easily. You may think you dont need a 454 because you dont need to go 150 mph. Well the first time you try to haul a heavy load or pull a 6% grade for 10 miles, youll know exactly where that extra horsepower is. Its the same thing with wattage. True, the 150 will supply all the volume you want, however, the first time you want to crank it up a little or listen to a CD with very weak bass, that 150 will run out very quickly and youll be left with a rather flat sounding system.

Low frequencies require a lot more power to reproduce than higher ones and as a result youll need a considerably larger amount of power to the sub in order to keep up. Thats why guys can run 75 watts to their 2 front speakers and 1000 to their sub and it be ok. And if youre running 50x2 and only 150 to your sub, youre going to run out of power in a hurry at any volume above conversation level.

Now Im not saying you need to run out and buy a kilowatt amp but something in the 300-400 watt range would make a world of difference! ;)
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited August 2004
    Options
    As a man that just pulled a trailer that grossed out at 20,000 pounds across west Texas you were at least talking up my alley! Always nice to have a F350 with that Power Stroke handy!

Anyway, the issue is just that, I'm not looking that shake anything loose! I've always said if I can't do it with one 10 I don't need it! Same holds true here, the issue is that I don't like my music so loud that I need more. I just want a well fitted sub for that amp that's tight and gets the little bit of bumping I do out of the way. I'd feel like a piece of @#$%^ if I had a $500 sub and only let it bump once a month for 15 minutes. I have to be without my kids, not on the phone and blah blah blah to play my music loud. I think that JL will be good for me.

Thanks a lot!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited August 2004
    Options
    There's another option you might want to consider. You mentioned an Adire shiva. If you're interested, I can get you a considerable discount on one of the brand new Adire Koda 10's w/ the XBL^2. It would take a much smaller box, get just as loud, sound much cleaner, and work almost perfectly on the amp that you already have. Let me know if you're interested, and I can point you in the right direction.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • Systems
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Well, I'm always interested in a deal, as I said I would much rather go with a less known sub then something mainstream. my user name is my email @yahoo.com so shoot me some info or your number and we'll go from there.

Thanks a lot,
    Adam
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Go ahead and register for a free account and send me a PM. That way it'll be easier to get a hold of you. I already got a PM from somebody, was that you?
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2004
    Options
    dont waste your money on JL...go with adire...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I keep hearing awesome things about Adire and realize they are louder. But do they sound better? Usually SPL subs aint all that hot in the SQ dept. Kind of like trying to get 35 mpg out of a 454.

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2004
    Options
    its proven the drivers like the Koda and the Brahma with XBL^2 technology will have lower distortion than any other driver on the market at any excursion level
    same with your W7...those are SQ subs as well as SPL
    and with the ID Max
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it