6000 Watt Amp!!!

Options
AustinKP
AustinKP Posts: 861
edited August 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
6x1000W amp. Click Here. If you look at the manual halfway down, it's funny how it only needs 2x20A fuses...
http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
Post edited by AustinKP on

Comments

• Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    edited August 2004
    Options
    In my honest opinion, it should read, 6 x 1000 watts, when struck by lightning.:D
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited August 2004
    Options
    wow, i havn't seen that much horse **** since the last time i drove through amish country....

i may be wrong but isn't class A for tube amps??

anyone who would buy that is a complete fool....
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Man that thing is *almost* as PINK as Russ's tube gear he recently showed us...

LOL, WTF
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Down toward the bottom it lists max power at 1200 watts per channel.

Right below that it lists the continuous power....95 per channel.

I think Grimster said it best..."when struck by lightning"

".....theres one born every minute"
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited August 2004
    Options
    1. Class A is not strictly for tubes.
    2. 6000W... class a is about 10% efficient.... 60000W sucked up!!! Reminds me of Tru amps. They have something like a 500W Class A amp which has teflon on the outside. Makes a perfect frying pan if you ask me. Make an omelet while you're waiting to get judged at a competition.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited August 2004
    Options
    lol... well given how the thing is set up and how they word it...
    1200wx6 channel
    95w/channel rms.......

What this is saying is that it is a 1200w max amp that will do 6 channels, each of which will do 95w-rms. Now that is not what the f-up that listed this is trying to sell it as ;)
    Notice that the manual NEVER says total pwer output at 6000w.

I say someone should buy it and have it pay-after arrival and testing basis, then give him the option of being reported to ebay or not getting paid for it because he listed it bogusly.

... It's possible.
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • AustinKP
    edited August 2004
    Options
    You know what's funny? I've been doing a little math, and I'm probably way off, but I think that even the 95wpc is even overrated... Assuming that P=IxV, and there are only 2x20A fuses, the most power he could get even with 14.4v would be 576W / 6 channels, or 96 Watts per channel. So to run the rated power, you'd be right on the edge of blowing your fuses at all times under normal operation. Hitting 1200W peaks would blow fuses faster than you can saw gesundheit. Or maybe my math is off...
    In summary, it's ludicrous to say you're getting 1200W Max w/ only 95Wrms. With 1200W, you should have MINIMUM 500Wrms. I'd like to see the look on someone's face when they buy one, thinking they're going to have the MOST POWERFUL AMP ON EBAY and then find out they've only got a 40wx6 amp. Then again, for $188, that's not bad. Just seems kinda funny when my 320W PPI amp has a 60 amp fuse, and this 6000 WATT AMP only has 40A. :D

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Nah, your math is right...
    My Kicker 700d had 3 - 30amp fuses :D
    It also ATE a 60 amp main fuse, so i put in a 90 lol.
    NOOO way that could be a 1000w max amp even without eating fuses.
    -Jerry
    side note: anyone know how to get my kicker 700d fixed? the input stage fried and kicker won't even contact me back?!?!

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2004
    Options
    austin...i didnt check your math...but did you remember to add in the horrid efficiency of a class a amp?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by exalted512
    horrid efficiency
    -Cody

You do and youll clean it up!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • AustinKP
    edited August 2004
    Options
    austin...i didnt check your math...but did you remember to add in the horrid efficiency of a class a amp?
    -Cody
    No, I didn't take efficiency into account. But if an amp is, say, 30% efficient, would that mean it needs 70% larger fuses to give the same output? If that's the case, it makes that amp look even worse!

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited August 2004
    Options
    You made my day with that amp. After a bad night, theres nothing like seeing total crap like that.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • AustinKP
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I'm happy I could make somebody smile :D I can now end this post with my dream fulfilled.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I just wonder how many people were duped into buying one of these.

Im sure one of us will run up on some dimwit at a car show or gathering bragging about his 6 kilowatt system!

As far as I know, the JBL monster is the only amp in that power range.

After that Orion is about the only one to come to mind in the 2 kilowatt and above league.

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited August 2004
    Options
    The Zapco 9.0 will do at least 2Kw bridged, and the 4KW will do that in stereo (it's two 9.0's bolted together).
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I like Zapcao amps a lot.

But alas, that is just another manufatuer I really like that doesnt have an authorized dealer within 2 states of me! :(

I really like Lunar amps too but you wont find them at all east of the Mississippi.

• LittleCar_w/12s
    edited August 2004
    Options
    lol, not everything makes it's way across the gap from california to the east...

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    Options
    USAmps makes some pretty beefy amps
    i might be getting one of their 3kw rms amps for my brahmas next year
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Dude when I lived in Temple Texas (about 45 miles north of Austin) it was great. Everything and I mean everything was available in Austin from DynAudios to Brax! There were more stereo shops than you could shake a stick at. Here in Chattanooga there aint ****. This is all the high end brands we have here. JL, MB Quart, Kicker, Crossfire, Orion, Xtant, Memphis and Diamond. Thats about it. We have Dynaudio in Nashville over 2 hours away and Zapco about 4 hours away in some town in GA. DLS is about 5 hours away and Focal is a mere 1:45 hours away.

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    Options
    my best friend went to college in temple for the last 2 years
    we have diamond, focal, and JL here
    thats it for high end brands
    theres a USAmps dealer but the shop is a joke
    when im at college station ill be a lot closer to everything...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Yeah we have a USAmps dealer here to but the shop doesnt appear to be anything more than a "Fast and Furious" wannabe.

I drove by there when they first opened wanting to see if they had any cool brands and theyve got all kinds of neon in the windows and Audiobahn stickers everywhere. So I figured it was a shop for the punks with the 2 18's and factory speakers. Then when looking up USAmps dealers it listed that one.

I mean, if I carried a high quality product like that I would at least advertise it a little on the off chance somebody that knew more than Circuit City brands came by.

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2004
    Options
    this is strange... the only usamps dealer near me is total shiite too... this is a slightly weird trend for a high-end amp company...

btw, on the calculations above - the efficiency of the amp refers to after it gets the power from the car, so a low-efficiency class A does indeed need to pass more current to produce 90 wpc than a more-efficient AB amp. but, as it's a peak rating, this can mean a milliseconds-long peak, and fuses generally can't react that fast, even if you're putting ten times the rated power through them...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • AustinKP
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    this is strange... the only usamps dealer near me is total shiite too... this is a slightly weird trend for a high-end amp company...

btw, on the calculations above - the efficiency of the amp refers to after it gets the power from the car, so a low-efficiency class A does indeed need to pass more current to produce 90 wpc than a more-efficient AB amp. but, as it's a peak rating, this can mean a milliseconds-long peak, and fuses generally can't react that fast, even if you're putting ten times the rated power through them...
    You're right. When I got my fuses, it said they are rated to blow if they're at twice their rated power for something like 30 seconds...I could be wrong, but it was something like that.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • MTXMAN
    edited August 2004
    Options
    US Amps has an amp that runs 6000x1 @ 2 ohms... of course it also has a 900a fuse rating :eek: and that's an ab too, an a would be so much higher it wouldn't even be funny....
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2004
    Options
    900 A is plain scary...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MTXMAN
    edited August 2004
    Options
    you'd need 2 alternators and 4 batts if you wanted it to be a daily driver... and i'm talkin ohio generator alts at that...
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Isnt there a point where its just enough?

Im quite happy with my little 600 watts. Sure I may eventually upgrade to maybe 800 or so one day but 6000?!?

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    Options
    and that amp does 6kw at 1 AND 2 ohms....most amps you see that do numbers like that do em at 1 only...
    that and 'Damping Factor: >2500'
    one of my possible future amps, the USA 3000...has an amp rating of 450A
    which is a big reason why I'm looking into some other brands...
    I'd love to have that amp...but I'm not sure if anyone makes a single alternator that can handle it...if someone does...then chances are I'm getting that amp...
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    edited August 2004
    Options
    but I'm not sure if anyone makes a single alternator that can handle it...if someone does...then chances are I'm getting that amp...
    -Cody

yeah, they do but they'll probably only fit in a semi :p

you could probably get a 2nd one mounted for around a grand if you knew the right guy... my buddy could put a 2nd one on my saturn but he said it'd cost about a grand for time and materials for him to do it...
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    Options
    yeah well...some peope cut holes in their hood for a blower for more horsepower
    i cut a hole in my hood for an alternator and more volts!!
    -Cody