sony or pioneer

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited August 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
guys i wanted to get an amp for my growing system and for the speakers since im on a budget right now i was thinking either sony or pioneer the sony is 50x4 and the pioneer is 40x4, both same price about 200 canadian at canadian tire oh yea im running the infinity 6000cs components at the front and infinity 6953 at the back thanx for ur advice guys

yahyah
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    Im gonna get my **** kicked for this but I say both will be fine.

However, I really like Pioneer amplifiers and Ill give you the reason why- .004% THD! That is an awesome distortion spec. Ive owned 2 Pioneer amps in my days and both were excellent and as clean as the PPI I had in my last system although not as powerful. That would be the one downside to both. Neither will have very much headroom and so wont be as powerful as a more expensive amp like an MTX or RF. However they will sound just fine.

So, in short, I vote for the Pioneer.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited August 2004
    most who know much at all about car audio will tell you to shy away from Sony, sony's pretty much a low end product at a midrange price...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    Sony isnt that bad. True they arent high end but theyre not trash either.

Sony seems to be taking a "bare minimum" approach to car audio which is ironic because they have the ability to make top shelf goods. I know because I have a lot of their equipment including this Vaio comp which has worked flawlessly for 2 years. I also own one of their mini systems with Sony speakers, 51 disc changer, Dolby surround (I bought it back in 98 before Dolby Digital) and 100x2 amp and it plays awesome. But for some reason in the car audio market they are content to put out ho-hum gear.

For instance if you buy one of their amps it will play music with decent power and cleaner than a head unit but thats about it. You wont be getting the great headroom or the 110 db SNR youd be getting with say an MTX.

That being said, if all your wanting is a supplement to your existing bare bones system, then a Sony amp would be just fine.

If however you were wanting to power a set of MB Quart Premium components then youd really be missing out on a lot with the Sony.

So if the choices are a Pioneer 40x4 or a Sony 50x4, there wouldnt be much difference in the performance. Now if the choice was between a Sony 50x4 and an Crossfire 50x4 well youd obviously be getting a lot more performance, power and quality out of the far superior, cleaner and more powerful Crossfire.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2004
    pioneer hands down, the sony wont hold a candle...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited August 2004
    the 40x4 from pioneer will be much less "bare bones" than the sony 50x4... for the same price the pioneer is a much better value....
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.