Adding two more 6x9's. Add an amp?

sumbodysumone
sumbodysumone Posts: 4
edited February 2002 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have 2 Polk ex693a's on the back deck of my '65 Stang with a Pioneer DEH-P3100 45x4 head-unit. I'm wanting to put two more 6x9's in enclosures in the front cause I don't have any room anywhere else. I was wondering if adding an amp would help the performance of my speakers any. Right now its good but bass becomes distorted at high levels.
Also, my car isn't very soundproof because of it's age and I was looking for a way to make the interior less noisy besides using dynamat.
Post edited by sumbodysumone on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2002
    Theres always cheaper version of dynamat(and sometimes better), there is Casade, Raamat, but the cheapest way to do it, is get the spray can stuff, u can cover a large area for only about 15-20 bucks.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • barryboy
    barryboy Posts: 9
    edited February 2002
    u will be amazed how much better your system will sound with a good, clean amp. some of the experts in this forum can offer
    the best advice, what will work best. Should sound good and clean though. Save your soul and ears and stay away from the pounding with a clean system rather than an obnoxous system.

Myamp is an MTX 4300 Thunder with a somewhat similar setup and configuration and it really makes all the difference. Your amp will be able to add power to the speakers at a much lower volume level from the head unit. When the volume levels get to high it introduces distortion. Most speakers are damaged fto little amplification rather than too much. When you turn volume up it's distortion that causes clipping.

I have recently used a mixture of expanding foam and poly-fil to get reasonable priced sound deadening in certain areas of my van. Don't know if this is standard operating procedure but thought I would give it a try??
    As long as there are tests in schools there will be prayer in schools.
  • sumbodysumone
    sumbodysumone Posts: 4
    edited February 2002
    Thanks for the info, but what amp would be good for my setup but not too expensive?
  • barryboy
    barryboy Posts: 9
    edited February 2002
    Its may be best to ask yourself what you plan to do with your system in the long run? If you plan to stay with 4 - 6x9" and your Pioneer Head Unit, you would do some fine equipment an injustice with a cheap amp. Do some research on performance, price and even discount sales. I have had good luck on Ebay but have found that it was best to research a few amps I wanted before I went to Ebay. Easy to get hooked by the impulse to buy based on some good ads. Many places on line that have forums that discuss amps and performance
    As long as there are tests in schools there will be prayer in schools.