Amp Wiring

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited August 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have 2 polk mmc690's for the rear of my prelude, and have not yet bought the 2 front speakers. I have a 4 channel amp and want to power the rear speakers without bridging. Is it safe to power the rear speakers normally and then just run speaker wire from the positive to the negative of the front speaker outputs on the amp? Please help
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    As far as I know, 4 channel amps require RCA input to all 4 channels but you dont have to have output from all 4 channels. So you can run RCAs from your head unit to all four inputs and then run speaker wire from the rear outputs only and be ok I beleive. If Im wrong Im sure somebody will step in! ;)

Check the amps owners manual. It should tell you if you need to do anything special to run 2 channels only.

You could also bi-amp the 6x9s but that probably wouldnt be worth the hassle seeing as youre going to be getting front speakers soon.

polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2004
    i see no reason to even have the second set of inputs - is a four channel anything but two 2-channels in the same box? in essence, that is?

and when you said "run speaker wire from the positive to the negative of the front speaker outputs on the amp", it sounded like you wanted to short out the front outputs - way bad idea. don't put anything in the front outputs that doesn't end up in a speaker.

so you should be good with whatever inputs you have and just using channels 3 and 4 for the rear...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    You should really check with your owners manual.

My Alpine 4 channel specifically stated that you must run RCAs to all 4 inputs. You could use dummy plugs with no signal going thru them but you had to have em.

On the other hand, my Crossfire 4 channel has a "combining switch" which allows the use of a pair of RCA inputs but have all 4 outputs work.

I guess it depends on your amp so, again, check your owners manual. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited August 2004
    just run what rca's you need from the HU to the inputs on the amp, then run speaker wire from the outputs of the amp to the rear speakers (for rear channels) and leave the front channels empty. that should do er for ya... unless your amp's wierd like mac's you'll probably just need rca's connected to the rear channel, but if you have pre-outs for both front and rear speakers and plan on adding front speakers i'd be a good idea to just run a 4ch set of rca's to save yourself the extra install work of having to run rca's 2x
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.