Infinity K-Perfect 10 VQ vs MM12

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited July 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Hey, I've seen this offer on sounddomain for awhile:
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10 VQ for $149.00 or so.
AND the the MM12 for 169.95

So here are my questions

First, the stats on them are pretty close. So which ones are better (I prefer tight bass) in the real world? (Both enclosed in a box and with the same amp)

Second, what if I wanted to save trunk space and mount the Infinity Kappa Perfect 10 VQ in free-air (like on the rear deck of my car) I don't have much experience in that area. Is it difficult? how would I handle deck rattling? Would it even sound good? What kinda tools would be involved? How much would pros charge for something like that?

ANYWAY, I just realized this option recently (I've been REALLY focused on purchasing the MM12) and was wondering if which would be better.

Other info: drive a four door family sedan
Current setup: Alphine 9827, Polk 675 2-ways (read deck), Polk 650 components up front
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2004
    Options
    momo hands down, its going to be louder due to more displacement and i prefer the sound better as well
    i dont think you can run the infinity infinite baffle...the only free air sub i know of is the image dynamics max
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    Options
    You definitely dont want to run free air. Sounds like ****.

The Infinity is an awesome sub. Infinity cant make speakers to save their lives but they do make a damn fine sub.

That being said, Ill give the nod to the Momo. They are just better all around plus a little cheaper.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited July 2004
    Options
    yea, I'll probably run with the MM12 cuz it's simpler to install and cheaper. Besides, if I ever sell my car, I could take the sub with me.

Thanks for the advice.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited July 2004
    Options
    The momo will be louder than the VQ but not by much as many of you may think. The VQ is an excellent sub, great SQL. It WILL beat the momo in SQ. I've heard both subs....but the 12" VQ not 10". Damn impressive......I'd port the VQ and you'll be louder than the momo :), tune low....yummmm

You can run the VQ free-air, call infinity, these say to half the power......what it may sound like?? No clue.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing