My Mits 46" 16:9 gets calibrated (ISF'd)

Options
Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
This past Saturday I had a local Home Theater Meet at my house. Greg Loewen (one of HomeTheaterForum.com moderators) also attended. He does video calibrations (ISF). Worked under Michael TLV, one of the best.

About 2:30, he began on my HD-RPTV. He spent about 3+ hours calibrating her. He did the following;

1. Removed the glare screen

2. Manuel Focus

3. Electrical Focus

4. Disconnected SVM (scan velocity modulation) wires from the circuit board

5. Set Grey Scale

6. Set Overscan

7. Tweeked the Geometry

8. Centered the image

9. Adjusted all the user settings; sharpness, color, tint, etc...

10. Lens stripping

11. Lens cleaning

12. Plus more

This is a pic of Gregg and his lap top setting the Grey Scale:
GreyScale.jpg

Let me say the difference is nothing short of amazing, it's like an entirely new RPTV. I thought I had a good, he made it excellent.

The colors are extremely vibrant, the picture is very sharp, the black level is down right awesome, yet the details are very visible.

It is well worth more then $400.00. If you've got a HDTV, find yourself a good calibrationist and do it. Then you will really see your HDTV shine like it was ment to.

You can reach Gregg at: htflover@hotmail.com

Peace Out~:D
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited February 2002
    Options
    YEOW! $400! Damn.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Did you pay $400? I thought those calibrations usually cost in the $250-300 region.

Aaron
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2002
    Options
    No, I did not pay that. It's an average for Gregg. I believe it goes as high as $550 for all inputs, not sure though. But, even if I did, it is worth it. Gregg takes a lot of time talking to you about your set and does an excellent job. Taking a lot of time and doing his work very professionally.

I could see $250-$300 without doing grey-scale. Grey scale takes a lot of time to do, very tedious work to get it dial-in.

If...
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Ron, hope you don't mind, but I added that picture to the system showcase :)

~JB
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2002
    Options
    $400 holy smokes, and people complain about the $300 to change front projection bulbs. This "ISF guy" is making a killing.
    As long as YOU think it's worth it. Bet it looks great though.:)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Ron,
    From the picture the guy looks just like you. Almost looks like you did a cut and paste somehow to add your image.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Way cool Ron!
    Its well worth ever penny right. Now you can watch all your movies again just to see the difference. Its hard to beleave all the things these guys know and do. When I had the guy do mine he charged $100 just for traveling but it was about 120 miles each way.
    Chris :)
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Its well worth ever penny right. Now you can watch all your movies again just to see the difference
    You said it all right here Chris. It is worth every penny, even if I had to pay $400, I would.

Last night I sat and re-watched Moulin Rouge and Edward Scissorhands. I am amazed at the awesome picture, espically the black level. Setting the Grey Scale made a HUGE difference. The black is so dark, yet so detailed.

If...
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited February 2002
    Options
    So if these ISF calibrations make such a difference, why can't the manufacturers ship them already calibrated? Can't they figure out how to optimize the image on one and then make the rest the same or do you need to specifically calibrate each and every one?

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I don't get it, maybe its equivalent to upgrading the caps in your crossover...or removing the jumper and bi-wire/amping?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Manufactures would not want to dump that kind of time and man power into a TV when they do not need to. Most of the consumers see the TV on the showroom floor and buy it thinking it will look the same when they get it home, when it does, they are happy. So why tweek it too look better? They do not need to. The average consumer does not demand it. Or even know that their TV has that much potential to look better.

An ISF incorporates your equipment as well. Your DVD player is used in the process. IF you change DVD player brands, a touch up ISF should be done. Your TV should not be moved after an ISF, it can be, but is not recommended. Too much work goes into an ISF for a manufacture to put time and money into it.

My TV took 3+ hours, that is after I had done a lot of tweaking myself. An out of the box could take twice as long. NO manufacture will spend that kind of money.

Manufactures build their TVs to please the mass-market.

If...
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I have heard that a calibrated set of modest cost can far outperform a non-calibrated set at the high end of the price spectrum. (A guy who charged for calibrations and also an old time TV tech that I used to work for both told me that) If that is true it would make sense that the $400 cal fee could be well worth the price because the price difference between sets could be $1500 or more. No experience of my own here.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2002
    Options
    So is this limited to a certain type of tv? Can it (or other small tweeks) be done on your standard, 27"-32" tube type?

Sorry if that sounds ignorant, but as far as video goes, I am......

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited February 2002
    Options
    My friend came over to watch the superbowl on Sunday, and as I was sitting there watching the screen I was thinking, "Man this is a detailed picture." Less than 10 min. later, my friend says, "Hey, can you turn up the brightness or whatever?"

Idiot! I just laughed.

~JB
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2002
    Options
    So is this limited to a certain type of tv?
    Nope
    Can it (or other small tweeks) be done on your standard, 27"-32" tube type?
    Yep

Any TV (for the most part) can be calibrated. A lot of the claibration (esp. direct views) are done via the service menu of that TV.

Justin, that does not surpries me. Most TVs are shipped with the brightness mode maxed, (torch mode). Most people turn on their sets and watch, your friend, is most likely one.

If...
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Not tying to step on your toes Ron.
    Here is the link to ISF which will explain a lot as well as the people who calibrate in your area. Some will setup your whole system audio and all. In getting the link I found a new company who does this in my area, closer then the other by 75 miles. It's an audio store so I might have them come and do the audio calibration setup too. My TV has been moved a couple times sence the last calibration so it could use a touch up. It is truely a night and day difference getting this done IMO. If your into H/T it really is a must, its better then the switch from VCR to DVD IMO. Do you feel the same way about it Ron??

www.imagingscience.com
    Chris :)
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2002
    Options
    ouch.........ouch............OUCH!!! Knock it off Chris:)

I was very skeptical about this whole ISF thingy. But now that I have seen the light. It is like going from VHS to DVD. The difference is amazing, very amazing. Every year or so, I plan to do a touch up calibraion. It is worth it.

If you've spent 3,4 or more grand on your HDTV, what's another $400 to max out it's preformance?

If...
  • BrandonW
    BrandonW Posts: 57
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Ron, congrats and welcome to 'high end hometheaters'

What was he using for the tests? looks like the sencore piece...which is what we use. VERY VERY worthwhile to have done. I wouldn't encourage it on a tube set, as really there isn't 'that' much that can be done, even from the service menu.

ANY 3 gun front or rear will benifit from a proper calibration of course..

"So if these ISF calibrations make such a difference, why can't the manufacturers ship them already calibrated? Can't they figure out how to optimize the image on one and then make the rest the same or do you need to specifically calibrate each and every one? "

Manufactures DO tweak each set before it leaves...but they don't get too carried away..why? well during any move where the tv get bounced it will change...depending on what temperature you keep your house at will effect it. moisture will effect it...really EVERYTHING effects it. As ron pointed out, differant source gear will work differantly on a tv, even say if you went from the a dvd play to an identical model its going to act differantly. Now, here is another kicker...these new HD sets scan differantly depending what they are fed which will greatly impact its setup.

Anyways congrats again ron, hopefully you took notes while he was there on what to look for when your setting it up.

Another thing you can do if you get bored (write down current settings) and run the THX 'optimiser' it will step you through setting up your colors for THX movies...(this if for those that don't wanna pay someone to setup their tvs) which will get you close to where it should be, and also pick up a copy of 'video standard' dvd..

Brandon
    www.svtparts.com/theaters
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2002
    Options
    do you think it would make a differance in my hd ready 65 inch wide screen mitsubishi tv i just got today boy i love my new tv
  • goingganzo
    edited February 2002
    Options
    i hate it when it dont up load ment to atach this pic
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    Options
    any of those theaters yours in that link?
  • BrandonW
    edited February 2002
    Options
    going,

MOST definitly on that model. lots and lots of tweaks on mits stuff. The model I encourage people to get is the platinum plus as you get ALOT more adjustment points to correct poor convergence.

What model did you get?

Brandon
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    Options
    goingganzo - man that center is up there! you have room to angle that down towards the listening postition a little, might get a little better result with that. just a thought. man, that RPTV dwarves the polks...:D
  • BrandonW
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Juice,

My theater is in either one of my showrooms. =) I am minutes away from it and it serves me better for now as my current house doesn't have an appropriate sized room for a good theater.

Honestly though, my theater at my house is semi basic, mitsubishi 72", marantz source gear, and atlantic tech speakers. (my polk stuff is limted to my car...)

I'll try to take some pics of my showroom next time i think about it. Maybe even post some more of the theaters from this year...if you all are interested of course.

Brandon
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    Options
    sure, post away! any polk installations? what area you located?
  • BrandonW
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Juice1,

I am in Kentucky,

unfortunatly my 2nd job is where i get to do all the polk installations...(car stuff) Polk makes a great bang for the buck system (for home) but unfortunatly those theaters i posted are a tad more higher end then what polk provides. maybe in the future they will have something that will and can keep up with what we currently use.

I had the polk sub/sat system in my house for awhile, and lemme say D*#$ that sub is rocking...but i needed something a little differant for the way my room is designed. id have to take a picture to make it understandable.

Brandon
  • goingganzo
    edited February 2002
    Options
    that is the ws-65819 and it is angled down i have the small rubber pads that came with the center in the front of it and a set of evtra ones that i got with my fx 500i and i am thinking of bulding stands for my 800i's any one like the tv stand it also lights up
  • BrandonW
    edited February 2002
    Options
    goingganzo,

can't say i ever thought about putting the glass blocks in teh theater unless it was part of a bar, but i might have to now, kinda a neat differant...maybe with a fiber optic lighting and color wheel. have the room basically change color at differant times of the day....hummmmmmm...................

Got my brain a going =)

Thats a killer set btw. got 3 of them in stock right now and all sold. You gone through it and reconverged it?

Brandon
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    Options
    brandon, if you get chance - listen to polk's new LSi line, they may have something for the higher-end consumer. i personally haven't found a place near me to audition them, but i am very eager to...
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Hey Brandon,
    What was he using for the tests? looks like the sencore piece...which is what we use. VERY VERY worthwhile to have done.
    Yes, this is what he used. I did not get to take too many notes because I was hosting the meet. But, I do plan to run thru all the service menus and right down all the settings this weekend. I just sat and watched Moulin Rouge again last night. The difference is amazing. I know this film well as I watched it many times before the calibration.
    do you think it would make a differance in my hd ready 65 inch wide screen mitsubishi tv i just got today boy i love my new tv
    Goingganzo, it will beneift your TV alot, just wait and put a few hundred hours on her first.
    If...