2 MM124 with C400.4

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited August 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
i Recently bought 2 mm124 and C400.4 amp and i wanted to know if this setup is possible? Please let me know if i need to get anything additional or if it's fine that way.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Yeah that setup is possible but youd only be feeding each sub 200 watts which is kind of low for those. They can handle 500 and anything less than 300 wouldnt be pushing them to their best performance. It wont sound bad just not as good as it could.

If you dont already have an amp for you front speakers you should use the 400.4 for that and get you something along the lines of an MTX Thunder 801D which would power those subs a lot better.

If you wanted to stay with Polk Audio, then you should look at the 500.1. This is 250x2 which is still a little low but would be a lot better than the 200 from the 4 channel.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited July 2004
    Options
    I wanted to know if the infinity 1210 A amp is good enough for the two mm124 which has
    Amplifier Type: Mono
    RMS Power: 854W x 1 @ 4 ohms
    THD at 4-Ohm RMS Power: <1 %
    RMS Power: 1300W x 1 @ 2 ohms
    Speaker Level Inputs: No
    Preamp Outputs: Yes
    Built-In Crossovers: LP
    Bass Boost: 0 - 12 dB
    Frequency Response: 17-302 Hz
    Signal to Noise Ratio: 72 dB
    Fuse Rating: 3 x 30 amps
    Also for the C400.4 can i hook this amp up to stock speakers?
    Thanks for the info its greatly appreciated
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2004
    Options
    yeah, it's actually slightly too powerful; and yes, you can use the 400.4 for stock speakers, but it's driving them with about ten times what they're supposed to handle, so if you do that, be quite careful...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Thanks for all the help but i need a little more help i wanted to know if its a good choice to buy mmc650 for the front speaker and back speakers and use the C400.4 amp and will that be a good combonation. Also when you say the amp is slightly more powerful doe that mean its bad? will it burn out or something? or is a Infinity Ref 610A more suitable for my two mm124.
    thanks for all the help!
    CEA Rated Yes
    Power Output 456 watts RMS x 1 channel at 4 ohms and ¡Ü 1% THD + N 657 watts RMS x 1 channel at 2 ohms, 14.4V supply and ¡Ü 1% THD + N
    Signal-to-Noise Ratio 70 dBA (reference 1 watt into 4 ohms)
    Dynamic Power 761 watts at 2 ohms
    Effective Damping Factor 6.336 at 4 ohms
    Frequency Response (¨C3dB) 17Hz to 251Hz (-3dB)
    Maximum Input Signal 6V
    Maximum Sensitivity 250mV
    Output Regulation .179 dB at 4 ohms
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • coldrealms
    coldrealms Posts: 46
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Unless you have people in the backseat alot ditch the idea of rear speakers, Run the mmc650's bi-amped from the c400.4 (and upgrade to the mmc6500's later on). The difference in SQ from reg to bi-amped is amazing!. If not and you go with a diff amp lemme know how much you want for it :) Maybe even trade for a lower power amp for your factory speakers and some cash? PM me if interested.
    -Phil
  • Systems
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Ok, If you really want to make your System sound good, buy your self the PM 500, It has a peak power of over 800 watts, and NEVER overheats, I have 6 of the mm124 subs, and 6 of the amps. If I can bury something into your head, I would tell you that 1 one amp is all you need, I have never had an amplifies preform quite as well as the polkmomo 500! I go through the subs like hotcakes atr car shows, and have still yet to replace an amp! they are just powerhouses! and best of all, they dont even get hot, just a little warm! Before they released these amps, I was running 3 JL1000 amps, and I will never go back!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I dont really like Infinity amps.

They look cheap and I dont like their speakers and theyre supposed to be specialized in speakers!

As far as amps go, my favorites are Crossfire in the $400 and below category and Xtant in the $400 and up league with MTX, Kicker, Orion and JL Audio receiving honorable mention. However if your wanting to choose between the Infnity and the Polk, I give Polk the nod without a doubt.

As far as too much power, that is usually a bad thing. If a speaker is rated to handle 500 watts and you give it 750, its not going to be any louder than if you gave it 500 however it will place tons more wear and tear on the speaker and drastically shorten its life span.

You should pick an amp that will power a speaker as close as you can to its rated max without going over. This will provide enough power to operate the speaker at its max performance but with minimal burn on the voice coil and such.

Too little power though, and you wont be getting all the performance the speaker has to offer.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • CravePolk
    CravePolk Posts: 8
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I have a Audiobahn 8000T amp and one M124 which sound perfect. I have db set to about 15, crossover at 80 and it sounds great. I can add another M124 if I wanted, but that would be too much for my taste. The Audiobahn 8000T is a mono amp that puts out 400 RMS @ 4ohms and 800 RMS @ 2 ohms. You should look to get a good amp with similiar specs